Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: COVID-19: Analysis, Statistics, Dangers, Outlook, Conclusions

Verified Hobbyist BCD

Younger americans not at risk to dying from Covid

From the NYTimes this AM:

Tali Elfassy, an assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of Miami, said that while the case fatality rate is lower for younger people, there has recently been a huge shift in the age distribution of those getting infected — from middle-aged and older individuals, to younger adults.

“Even if the majority of people who are dying from Covid are older individuals, the fact that we have this demographic shift toward younger people becoming infected is going to give us an increase in deaths among younger people,” she said.

Further:
    "Nationally, the share of all deaths that occur in younger age groups remains small — just 38 coronavirus deaths out of every 1,000 in July were attributed to younger people, but that is up from 22 per 1,000 in May."

Full article link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/u...gtype=Homepage

Quote Originally Posted by slocum View Post
    My question was about excess deaths total, regardless of the cause. We know about how many people should die worldwide per month of the year. If the actual death rate is higher than expected, then the increase must be explained. I would think that if COVID-19 wasn't killing people, then the number of deaths should be fewer than expected due to a decrease in traffic and work-related fatalities brought on by lockdowns. But the reality is that considerably more than the expected number of deaths have occurred, and even more than we would expect just due to COVID, if articles like this one are to be believed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Bloomquist View Post
    From the NYTimes this AM:

Tali Elfassy, an assistant professor of epidemiology at the University of Miami, said that while the case fatality rate is lower for younger people, there has recently been a huge shift in the age distribution of those getting infected — from middle-aged and older individuals, to younger adults.

“Even if the majority of people who are dying from Covid are older individuals, the fact that we have this demographic shift toward younger people becoming infected is going to give us an increase in deaths among younger people,” she said.

Further:
    "Nationally, the share of all deaths that occur in younger age groups remains small — just 38 coronavirus deaths out of every 1,000 in July were attributed to younger people, but that is up from 22 per 1,000 in May."

Full article link:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/11/u...gtype=Homepage
    I want to address these b/c there are definitely competing theories and some of the sites that talk about this (excess deaths are very misleading).
    Death data in the US comes from the CDC's National Vital Statistics Systems (NVSS)

Let's look at some NVSS data from the CDC:
    Here is the link and I will screen grab as well - CDC NVSS Death Data Visualization/Chart Link

Now, if you look at the data, the total number of deaths as of Aug 11th, 2020 is projected to be: 1,636,992
    That is supposedly 108% (not really that much of a difference in total 8% increase) of the expected death toll by this date.
    However, we have 7708 deaths on average per day in the US and today makes 224 days which puts the "expected" death total at: 224*7708=1,726,592 (this gives a negative mortality in actuality)

Another thing to consider is that even IF there were any small % of excess deaths in relation to expected total mortality figures it could very likely be explained by a few things:
    1. People with chronic conditions were not likely to go to the hospital when needed b/c they we scared (or they waited too late)
    2. Elderly people with very serious potentially fatal conditions were also scared to get help soon enough
    3. Many people who had conditions which should have been looked at seriously (cancer, heart disease, severe hypertension, COPD, etc...) put off treatment or they were not given priority as COVID was/is causing such a panic in the hospitals and among medical facilities
    4. Medical facilities were overworked and overrun as a result of scared people trying to get testing or find out about loved ones with COVID and so on which further put pressure on people with serious conditions who got overlooked or were given less priority.

Those are just a few of the reasons even if we did see a small net excess of deaths in the 5-10% range (or even more - considering the vast size and population of the US - easily).

In addition, look at the screen grab or link:

--Deaths involving pneumonia with or without COVID are higher than the COVID alone 154K vs 146K. Also, the first column just means COVID existed (read the footnotes [1] in the image - it doesn't mean another condition wasn't also present, or couldn't be present).

--Deaths involving pneumonia AND COVID together are at ~64K.

--Deaths involving pneumonia, influenza, or COVID total out at over 242K!

It's pretty easy to see how comorbid or concomitant conditions could be swapped for COVID. Obviously tons of people, TONS, died with and without COVID that either had pneumonia or influenza! As many as 242K+! And to make matters worse let's not forget that those are only 2 major upper respiratory infections that could easily be confused with COVID. You still have people that could die of heart disease or cancer or renal failure or COPD or bacterial gut/lung infections, etc... also while having COVID and they always get diagnosed as a COVID death!

That's just ridiculous when you look at the data. There is absolutely no way they no with bonafide data or beyond a shadow of doubt what those individuals *actually* died of (meaning the true causative agent). Making it EVEN worse is the fact that the CDC put out a memo in April/May (iirc) that was recommending docs/practitioners to simply use their best judgement if a PCA test wasn't available or wasn't timely enough.
    -MG

Verified Hobbyist BCD

MCG presenting numbers and misstating their relevance

"Now, if you look at the data, the total number of deaths as of Aug 11th, 2020 is projected to be: 1,636,992
    That is supposedly 108% (not really that much of a difference in total 8% increase) of the expected death toll by this date."

Why do you keep trying to distort? The "8% not really much of a difference" is 121,000 extra deaths, and you say the Covid-19 deaths cannot be 154,000, that is way exaggerated.

I did not read any further into your post since you have already made it invalid. Your presentation is not scientific in any way when you surmise that 121,000 extra deaths is not much of a difference.

Verified Hobbyist BCD

Big Ten and Pac 12 Cancel fall football

So two out of the five Power conferences have canceled fall football, even though college football revenue is way over 1 Billion dollars. The value judgement of the colleges (and i am going to guess it is also somewhat data driven)is that the proposition to play fall football is just too risky at this time, and I would speculate that there is significant brainpower leading the institutions of higher learning(and maybe slightly less brainpower in the coaches who want to play fall football.)

In all fairness, all of the $1B+ is not going away, since a smaller schedule could be played in the spring, but since the NCAA basketball tournament is also in the spring, it seems like there would be an adjustment for the television money.

The smart money seems to be on limiting risk, and assuming the pandemic is not benign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kallie Bloomquist View Post
    "Now, if you look at the data, the total number of deaths as of Aug 11th, 2020 is projected to be: 1,636,992
    That is supposedly 108% (not really that much of a difference in total 8% increase) of the expected death toll by this date."

Why do you keep trying to distort? The "8% not really much of a difference" is 121,000 extra deaths, and you say the Covid-19 deaths cannot be 154,000, that is way exaggerated.

I did not read any further into your post since you have already made it invalid. Your presentation is not scientific in any way when you surmise that 121,000 extra deaths is not much of a difference.
    Huh?? That's not being very objective KB. Not at all. You are injecting emotions and morals into a scientific argument.

Furthermore though, it's not even 8%. It's more like 5%. And, yes, even 90-100k or so, is nothing in the grand scheme of 331Mn people, or even just the people above 50yrs that could have been passed over, didn't go for treatments out fear when they had another serious illness (whether chronic or very acute & unknown), the people who got passed over due to hospitals being busy with too many people bombarding them to find out about COVID, get tested, etc...

Many people got suboptimal care or none at all while medical professionals dealt with this other craziness. It's a small number in that regard. Because it's easily explained as to why there is a difference. There really isn't an "excess" death that can't be explained. And even if it were 5% that could easily be explained by those issues I mentioned.

What does the actual science of x, y, or z, have to do with your moral or ethical opinions anyway? You have used a qualitative value to judge a quantitative assessment. How does that make sense?? I feel like you want it to be this way for some reason. Like it must be bad no matter what. I don't get why you want that so badly.

EDIT: I'm not distorting anything. I'm just being objective about it and not completely sold about this apocalypse you are sold on by people like Fauci, Birx, and that fool Ferguson. The issue is all the early science was so quick to rush to doom & gloom (just like all my skeptic colleagues write about too and that I've linked previously). It was bad rushed science & it still continues with a public that is hyperfixated on it too. Which is something that really shouldn't have ever happened. It didn't with HIV. It didn't with any of the other major respiratory epidemics either. This one is unique due to the media and info age we live in & is the beginning of a shit storm if we don't learn how to deal with these things (not just viruses btw).
    Last edited by mathguy; 08-11-2020 at 04:42 PM.
    -MG

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    It's not all about fatality, and people who focus on fatality #s being low vs initial projects are constructing a flimsy strawman. The lasting impact of just a mild case can be severe - kids who would be athletes may never be, we're learning about impact to fertility, it's a multi-organ infection. I just recently 'recovered' from it myself - I'm mid 40s, had 'mild' symptoms, tested positive, never had to go to the hospital, but was almost completely bedridden for SIX WEEKS. A month after being cleared and testing neg twice, I'm still at 93% O2 saturation and suffer from significant fatigue. Before I got sick, I was running 5k 3x/week and 10k every weekend, now I get worn out going upstairs in my house. Fuck all these people who say it's not a big deal. I'm VERY VERY lucky I didn't lose my job or go on short-term disability, it was close. Stay home. Don't get sick. Where did I get it? I assume it was a girl I saw from SA, the only person I had any contact with the week leading up to symptoms. Am I now immune having had it? Maybe. We don't know. There hasn't been enough time for the research to be conclusive. Herd immunity is uncertain at this point. Stay home if you can. Wear a mask. Stay safe. Covid sucks dick.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
    the people who got passed over due to hospitals being busy with too many people bombarding them to find out about COVID, get tested, etc...
    I'm curious about your basis for this idea of hospitals being incompetent or negligent in their triage protocols, specifically related to the above. I've not heard of this being a problem, even anecdotally on the news or from hospital working friends; if you don't mind, please share your source and data supporting your statement.

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    You can find with a Google search. I think Hidalgo county may have had to do this also.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/starr-c...-capacity/#app

Quote Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
    I'm curious about your basis for this idea of hospitals being incompetent or negligent in their triage protocols, specifically related to the above. I've not heard of this being a problem, even anecdotally on the news or from hospital working friends; if you don't mind, please share your source and data supporting your statement.
    Why is it that just about anyone who seems to have an issue with my thesis, or my additional postulates, is a new user, registered only, or not just registered but has like, 2-30 posts max? I can't help but think it's the same dude, or possibly 1-2 guys. KB is literally the only exception iirc (?) Also.... only men? Just really odd.

To answer your question some of it is in the post(s) higher up with a screen grab and comments.

I also wasn't saying that triage protocols don't work or that hospitals are inept but there was a lot of talk in the media about overwhelmed hospitals. Every day in the news it's talked about (or was talked about). I did read something about that somewhere, others who had a similar idea, but yea, those were only hypotheses as to how you could end up with excess death counts (if excess deaths were/are even true; I showed how that's not really accurate though in the same post up above).

The other thing is if that hypothesis were true it certainly wouldn't be an obvious notice as anecdotal accounts from medical workers. Even a number as large as 100K (if it were even that - it's actually more like 100K net negative excess) spread over a country the size of the U.S. with a population of 331Mn people would not be a massive swarming event that is noticed, not even necessarily as anecdotal events.

It's not just "triage issues" at hospitals, it's the possibility of people who delayed care to "help" others as they heard of all this massive overrunning of hospitals (as if... ugh hyperbolic media), those who couldn't get appts due to delays with docs or med staff, maybe even those who DID get triaged, yes, indeed, but then were not given as much focus or attention (not on purpose but b/c people are being frantic - even among med staff).

At any rate those were just hypotheses. And they are not even remotely "way out there/off the wall" hypotheses either. Not given the mess among the medical community that the news and hospitals themselves reported was happening.
    -MG

Quote Originally Posted by ProSlacker View Post
    You can find with a Google search. I think Hidalgo county may have had to do this also.

Oh and tyvm ProSlacker Didn't see that link until now. Yep, there you go milo.

Just one example of how and why that could happen across the country.
    -MG

Verified Hobbyist BCD

What I read in the article is that a judge implied on Facebook that there was more demand on a hospital's resources than available, leading to a shelter-in-place order. And that an ethics committee will set-up a triage program: "We have to start making a triage evaluation and realizing who has a better chance." I did not read anything implying incompetence or negligence.

Cool

Guys that one had nothing to do with incompetence or negligence. I'm not sure why or how it got framed that way above (??).

I don't believe ProSlacker was indicating that either. His link was acting as a bit of support (e.g. a basic example) of how/why my hypothesis could make sense or be correct & he was answering milos question on my behalf.

Btw.... the use of these 2 words is going to veer this conversation off again and I'll friggin have to get into the semantics of the real message behind the original hypothesis b/c some people are warping it. I really don't wanna have to explain basic propositional or predicate calculus logic along with basic vocabulary words to show how this hypothesis is getting distorted into either hospital "incompetence" or "negligence". Please?? Ugh.

That is NOT at all the point, even IF there were truly excess deaths in total, and in reality I've already shown, using CDC data, how we are actually at net decline in deaths, or par at worst.
    -MG

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    I was in a rush and multi-tasking when I posted it - and misread the request for a link. I have seen reports mentioning triage, but not tied to incompetence.

Sorry about that.

I was in a rush and multi-tasking when I posted it - and misread the request for a link. I have seen reports mentioning triage, but not tied to incompetence.

Sorry about that.
    No no you're fine ProSlack. It was a good comment with an example link to support the original supposition. It remains a direct & effective reply to the question you were answering. Good job.

I'm not sure where the incompetence or negligence for triage came into the picture or why. It seems like someone was also using triage incorrectly (I didn't mention it) and not reading my post correctly or else these statements wouldn't have been made.

You don't need to apologise buddy. You actually offered one of the only relevant replies on this entire 6th page.
    -MG

Quote Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
    Why is it that just about anyone who seems to have an issue with my thesis, or my additional postulates, is a new user, registered only, or not just registered but has like, 2-30 posts max?
    For me, and I suspect some others that have been here forever, I've seen the futility of debating anything controversial in an online forum.
    I don't argue with anyone that writes thousands of lines - you can never win unless you don't play.
    Thanks for expressing your views - I'm sure many found them interesting, and it's good that you can defend your positions - but I'm just here for the hobby.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast