Quote Originally Posted by Tx33_averageJoe View Post
What I mean is if we wait till say it is almost on the brink of collapse there will be to little time to right the ship so to speak. I estimate that even when the economy starts rolling again it will take perhaps 2-3 wks for the effects to actually start healing the damage. I tried to think of a good analogy to put it in simpler terms but alas I cannot. Lol.
I can offer a simple analogy most will understand.

1. You are driving down the highway and need to pass a car so you push the accelerator to the floor. It takes a while before the engine responds and you go faster, and longer still before you hit top speed.

I believe this is called slack time in the locomotive world. If you ever had Lionel or Thomas the Tank Engine sets around you'll have seen it. There is a delay between when the engine moves and the last car starts to move; due to the built in cushion aspects that connect one car to the next. The effect is multiplied when you have more cars hooked up.

Applied to our economy, the Order means less people out. Stores like Starbucks only have drive-thru service. Less customers so they staff less. Workers lose job or lose shifts, meaning they have to adjust their spending downward. When the Order expires a more normal setting returns...I can sit in Starbucks if I want, so staffing picks up. Maybe not to pre-virus levels, though, because those who lost their jobs or took a big hit still will be conserving cash. While Starbucks, restaurant workers get tips immediately the first paycheck takes a week or two. The recovery aspect of the cycle becomes more elongated as the downside grows. It just takes longer to climb out of a deeper hole.

That fear is growing for me. More than fear of the virus. But as Italia di Bella said elsewhere, that is probably human nature because I don't know anyone who has gotten sick, but I certainly see the economic chaos every day I go to work.