Quote Originally Posted by MsTaylorLeigh View Post
I think that all makes sense except for the part about Wall Street not affecting us. Institutional investors make up about 70% of all stock trading volume despite only owning about 17% of all financial assets. That tells me that institutional money moves the market and the rest of us are just along for the ride.

That's why I like ETFs. I know I can't beat the market because I know that people who get paid millions usually can't so I'll just ride along knowing that I'm going to 'win' over time just by putting my money in.
Smart girl. But don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Some individual stocks in your portfolio is also a smart option. Trading around a position when you find a stock that has a pattern if moving 10% to 15% range, buy a few hundred shares when it approaches the bottom of its range, then sell 50% of your purchase as it approaches the top, then when it goes back toward the bottom again, as it will, rebuy and repeat. Can make your over all return very healthy over time. Also look for "best of breed stocks that pay a nice dividend (4% or so, with a history of raising the dividend, reinvest dividends in that stock, over time, compounding will really pay off.