I actually just got back about 2 weeks ago for Puerto Vallarta and leave on Thursday for Cancun. I also work in Hidalgo, Laredo, and El Paso which you can literally throw a rock over to the respective Mexico cities. I haven't been to Matamoros in a number of years, but I have always like Reynosa a little more. Its a little more low key and basically the same distance. I haven't been across in Laredo in a number of years, the last time I went was the only time I didn't feel "safe" in Mexico. I would suggest to stay away from there. Jaurez isn't as bad as Laredo, but I would say easier to find trouble than the other 2 I mentioned. Someone mentioned Acuna which is also a good alternative, but also a little smaller.

The taxi suggestion is a great move and I highly recommend. If you are looking to drive through Mexico, I would suggest renting a car in Mexico wherever you decide to cross.

Also as someone mentioned, I would look to go to Cabo or Cancun if you are going for a true vacation. My flight to Cancun on Thursday nonstop from San Antonio RT was $443 and my all inclusive resort was $1,400 for 4 days for 2 people. I am staying at a nice resort and this is for my birthday so theres about 40 of us going, so we are staying at a bigger more expensive resort. There are plenty of options for well under $1,000 for the same amount of time. I'm a big drinker so I always get in trouble when I don't stay somewhere that all inclusive. My own mistakes haha.

Sounds like you want to do a little exploring though, in that case I recommend Cabo. (my personal fav) The city is very laid back and easy to explore. If you decide on this location, make sure you hit The Office one night for dinner. Amazing food and an amazing setting.

Feel free to shoot me a pm if you have anything specific you want to ask.

I also just realized my photo is of a resort I stayed at in Cancun. HA