Thread: Pictures question(s)

Pictures question(s)

I've just recently started doing boudoir photography, though I have been doing many other types of photography for years. The first shoot I did was with TennesseeTootsie and she ripped me off. I made the mistake of giving her her pictures, 104 pictures that she uses on different sites, before the whole barter deal was done, then she went silent on me. I did one more shoot then decided that I'll not be doing the barter deal anymore, unless I am confident in the provider that I won't be taken for a ride (and not that kind of ride). I decided to start here due to the number of women who might want this type of photography, plus I'm not fully convinced I want to add this to my business website as an option. So I'm more testing the waters.

I've been contacted by a few providers about pictures and when I give my prices I don't hear back. First off, that is fine with me and not something I'm complaining about. I don't apologize for my rates because I'm good at what I do and I make enough money outside of this that I don't need the work. I have two shoots this weekend alone outside this hobby, so I am busy enough as it is.

So what is it that you ladies are looking for in pictures? If you want cheap pictures or selfies, I get it. There are plenty that will do that for you or you can take care of it yourself. I don't blame you for doing that, I would too. But I don't take cheap pictures and if my name is going to be on it, it's going the be the best I can possibly give you.

My other question is, have you checked prices in town? (that's more rhetorical than anything). I don't know if my prices are scaring you off or not, but again, it doesn't matter in the long run. Here is what Kara Marie Boudoir charges: $2,200 - $8,830. Now I don't offer everything she does, but my prices aren't nearly that high either. Another couple of studios start with a $500 deposit (deposit only, no pictures). Then one more says, "Most clients plan to invest between $875 – $2,500 on the entire experience (session + print and digital products)."

I'll not share my rates as I'm not seeking anything more than information. I don't care if I don't get any business, as I said, I don't need it. I'm just curious what you ladies who are actually wanting professional pictures feel is an appropriate fee, or would you rather go to a studio that specializes is boudoir photography?

BTW-just a heads-up in defense of every photographer/studio out there, there is much more than just pointing a camera and pulling the trigger when it comes to even simple photography. Anyone can do that. And the camera does not make one a photographer, it's the "eye" behind the camera that makes great pictures. Plus there's a lot of pre- and post- production work done, especially if you want your pictures the best they can be. Personally I usually spend at least double the time of the shoot in post production work.

Verified Hobbyist
    I have an iPhone X and when I put it on that portrait setting with the right filter, I can take amazing photos. I offer to trade out services for any girl on here for a session. Lol!!!

Verified Companion Companion CubanAva's Avatar
    Back in my modeling days, before they started paying me to be in front of the camera, I paid for my fair share of shoots. The prices varied by skill set, releases, prints and time. But an average I paid would be around 300 per shoot. Some less and some as much as 700 but those were inclusive packages with an MUA and wardrobe options. When it was less it would be a shorter shoot, less wardrobe changes, no props, and digital prints only.

For a shoot for this line of work, I would probably have to be very familiar with your work, how you work and how receptive you are to be the camera and not the model. (See what I'm seeing, while I see it, pose me accordingly and capture it) I'm really picky with my photos so I also would make sure no release was necessary and you'd sign an NDA. With that being said, if you have the props, the eye and the talent, I'd pay 300-500, with a satisfactory guarantee and a approved picture minimum. (If you take 500 photos and I only like 5, that's not worth my time or money... yes this has happened to me before)

In the end, it is your business and you set your rates. If your talent is there then your work should speak for you. Do realize that others opinions should never be taken as a reflection of your value and that they are simply only able to make judgment based on their own knowledge, which may be limited.

Keep on snappin.

Quote Originally Posted by Big big bear View Post
    I have an iPhone X and when I put it on that portrait setting with the right filter, I can take amazing photos. I offer to trade out services for any girl on here for a session. Lol!!!
    Ok?! Like I said, anyone can take “pictures”. Plus you’re not a provider, but thanks anyway.

Verified Companion Companion britttany_love's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CubanAva View Post
    Back in my modeling days, before they started paying me to be in front of the camera, I paid for my fair share of shoots. The prices varied by skill set, releases, prints and time. But an average I paid would be around 300 per shoot. Some less and some as much as 700 but those were inclusive packages with an MUA and wardrobe options. When it was less it would be a shorter shoot, less wardrobe changes, no props, and digital prints only.

For a shoot for this line of work, I would probably have to be very familiar with your work, how you work and how receptive you are to be the camera and not the model. (See what I'm seeing, while I see it, pose me accordingly and capture it) I'm really picky with my photos so I also would make sure no release was necessary and you'd sign an NDA. With that being said, if you have the props, the eye and the talent, I'd pay 300-500, with a satisfactory guarantee and a approved picture minimum. (If you take 500 photos and I only like 5, that's not worth my time or money... yes this has happened to me before)

In the end, it is your business and you set your rates. If your talent is there then your work should speak for you. Do realize that others opinions should never be taken as a reflection of your value and that they are simply only able to make judgment based on their own knowledge, which may be limited.

Keep on snappin.
    I agree! I have done 3 professional photos shoots during the time I've been in the hobby. I disliked every single one of them and didnt like the pictures at all. All claimed to take amazing pictures, 2 were paid for and one was a barter. I never used but 3 of the lackluster photos. Crazy enough the work from the photographer then one with the barter arrangement did a way better job than the two I paid for. I also got a USB drove with all the photos taken. If I'm paying $300-$500 for professional photos I would expect hair and makeup along with the allowance of multiple outfits choices, a location with multiple nice areas to shoot a variety of pictures in. I want to see them while we are doing the shoot and I expect it to not be an hour only. My first shoot was like 2 hours he took hundreds of pictures and he chose the ones he liked etc and I got to see like maybe 20. Nope if I'm paying I want to see what you took and pick the photos I like best of your work. After all I'm the one who is putting them up to showcase myself. I also want a photographer who has experience with models of all sizes etc. I'm a bigger girl... to many photographers always shoot these ladies only laying down, hiding behind things (covered in a blanket, large t shirt, pillow covering, standing behind something) cut off photos( like head only shots or just the belly button up, just feet only, close up of breasts only). I understand some angles are necessary but none that are drastically misleading especially when the photos are used in this business. My other main complaint with professional photos is the time it takes to get them back, hell some take weeks because of all the crazy editing and what not. I dont mind a little bit here and there but sometimes they are way over done. Things change to much for me in the hobby you gain weight lose weight, change your hair color, change your hair style, tan or no tan...I dont have the funds to get professional photos done everytime things change. That's why it has worked best for me to take a couple of selfies here and there throughout the week to slap on my ad that portrays how I look currently. Would I do a shoot again maybe but I would want to see alot of their work and a variety of models they have shot with. Boudoir is a speaclity type photography and you either really have the eye for it or you dont. Austin has some amazing boudoir photographers most are women and they have some amazing work and dont cost an arm and a leg either.

Photography is hard work and you deserve to ask for whatever it is you feel you deserve.

Verified Hobbyist
    Quote Originally Posted by Onei5430 View Post
    Ok?! Like I said, anyone can take “pictures”. Plus you’re not a provider, but thanks anyway.
    It was a joke Onei- don’t be a Onei

Boudoir photography is really tough. Bad enough to have to deal with a model let alone setting props and whatnot. (I once had to have charcoal lighter on hand to get the fireplace shots looking right!)

Good luck to you. The best you can ever hope for is dealing with someone that can play to the camera and be a Collaborator.
    Have you ever considered that the "Writing on the Wall" might be a forgery?

Every time I read a review I keep waiting for Paul Harvey to say, "And now.. the Rest Of The Story."
    I am NOT a White Knight, just a bleached bastard.
    My gallery album gets updated occasionally.

I do NOT share any pics I've taken without an "OK" from the model!

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    As a amateur/ semi professional photographer I’m pretty good and like my skills.