Thread: Greek, Russian, Italian, etc? Origin of the slang terms....

Verified Hobbyist BCD

Greek, Russian, Italian, etc? Origin of the slang terms....

So this came up in another thread and it got me to wondering. Where do these terms spring from?

So I think many here will know where "Greek" as a nickname for anal sex comes from. *gratuitous history lesson below for those who have not heard the story before* But how on earth does boob f---ing get to be known as "Russian"? Likewise, how did doing the same to someone's butt crack (if I'm correct on What the term means...I'm not 100% certain) get to be known as " Italian"? Anyone have any insight? Are there any other sex acts with a nickname that associates it with a particular country or demographic?

I'm genuinely curious and think it might make for an entertaining discussion!

*So the use of "Greek" to mean anal sex comes from all the way back in Ancient Greece. Free men in ancient Greece tended to marry late in life to very young women. Life spans were considerably shorter then, but it was quite often late 30s to 40s men married to girls around 12 or 13. Thus before marriage it was common for Greek men to engage sexually with other males. It was totally socially acceptable in the Greek states and was known outside of Greece to the extent that it became associated with Greece in the minds of other Mediterranean peoples of the same era.

The Romans of the Republican era (at the least, I'm not certain if it extended back into the pre-Republic/Kingdom era or forward into the Principate/Imperial era) took it a step further and mocked their Greek neighbors as "boy lovers"! This is pretty hypocritical of the Romans given their own ...um...flexible sexual mores. This was particular the case with male slaves. I'm sure most here have seen the Kirk Douglas version of Spartacus from 1960 after all. That being said, there was some justification of that stereotype as male homosexuality in Greece often took the form of pederasty, that is adult men with teenage boys. (Don't shoot me, I'm just the messenger! LoL

From what I've read, that practice of a Kind of " temporary homosexuality" goes back as far as the Archaic Era and continued through the entire classical Era. I'm not sure if it carried into the later Hellenistic Era or not, but the Oliver stone film Alexander would have us believe it did! I'm not sure if it was a practice in the Mycenaean Period eithet.

Thus, anal sex becomes "Greek sex". The more you know...
    "You live only a few more years. You die alone. Unmourned. And unloved......Suffering? Suffering you'll have no trouble doing. And if you are ever tempted...EVER... to consider your suffering unjustified, just remember your second marriage."
    Cerebus

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Good question on "Russian." I've always wondered on the etymology of that. When I first heard it many years ago I thought it meant you get poisoned during the session, and for an extra donation thrown out a window afterwards.

Similarly I'm curious if anyone knows where Italian (armpit f'ing) comes from.

Verified Companion Companion VikkiLyn's Avatar
    Italian isn't armpit its sliding in between the butt cheeks

Verified Hobbyist BCD risn2theoccasion2's Avatar
    Arm pit sex is just simply called…Armpitting. Not my thing, but to each their own.

Anal sex has been around for millenniums. Written historical records date it back to the 2100 BC. Pretty sure it goes further back than that.
    Ask about any of my past encounters.

Rudeness is the weak persons imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer

Supporting selfish people is a waste of time and energy! They will always find an excuse to blame you for their own mistakes!
    ― Lily Amis

As you proceed through life, following your own path, birds will shit on you. Dont bother to brush it off. Getting a comedic view of your situation gives you spiritual distance. Having a sense of humor saves you.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by risn2theoccasion2 View Post
    Arm pit sex is just simply called?Armpitting. Not my thing, but to each their own.

Anal sex has been around for millenniums. Written historical records date it back to the 2100 BC. Pretty sure it goes further back than that.
    Indeed.
    I suspect it existed pretty much as long as there have been humans or even proto humans. I can imagine a scenario in which the caveman who discovered it (I'll call him Grog) was fooling around with his mate "Grogette" (or maybe perhaps his buddy "Ugg"!) and he wound up saying something along the lines of " This fit here too! Grog like!" . And the rest was (pre)history as they say! Lol.

Kidding aside, my point was that The Greek Archaic Era, roughly 1100 to 671 BC, is the earliest I've seen anal sex being associated with the Greeks by people from neighboring regions due to Greek sexual practices. It certainly existed, butt (pun intended) the term was probably not used in a manner similar to how we do today until much later.

Were did you get the 2100 BC date? I'm not doubting you...far from it. But, I'm a history geek with a strong interest in the Ancient World. (Say it ain't so after my posting this crazy thread!). Thus I'd like to check out the record your talking about, to see what else is mentioned.
    "You live only a few more years. You die alone. Unmourned. And unloved......Suffering? Suffering you'll have no trouble doing. And if you are ever tempted...EVER... to consider your suffering unjustified, just remember your second marriage."
    Cerebus

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Russian: Think Ural mountains.

Registered Male (Not Verified) tcreative2's Avatar
    Motto of the Greek army was ......... "never leave your friends behind"

How does the Greek army separate the officers from enlisted men?
    with a crowbar