Thread: State HB 2974

State HB 2974

Sextortion - Creates a state jail felony offense for an individual who obtains sensitive "intimate" material and threatens to publicize it if their demands are not met.

Some may already be aware of this however it's a reminder to ALWAYS have some written, or email, OK before posting pics. Even if the person is no longer active in the hobby. The internet "is forever" and it could come back to bite you.

Again the gov't paints with a broad brush. I can imagine an offhand comment being twisted via Twitter or Facebook. Anything to keep the lawyers busy.

Guide Chihuahua on hiatus (retired)
    Seclusion in the deep, dark, spooky woods north of Houston at the Irish Chihuahua Refuge.
    The Internet and the rise of social media both help and hurt us, alas. Has taken a while for laws to attempt to catch up with technology, and as with most everything, original good intentions often get subverted or misdirected. (Re: The futility and ineffectiveness of SESTA/FOSTA, making our Hobbying future miserable with negligible impact on actual trafficking.)

I thought about going to law school as a midlife change of career, but ultimately decided that the oldest profession was probably less "twisted," chuckle, grin, and wink.

Last edited by Fancyinheels; 08-01-2018 at 10:08 AM.

Verified Hobbyist BCD DocHoliday's Avatar
    In a secret, heavliy defended, underground lair somewhere in the OH2 Badlands
    Quote Originally Posted by fancyinheels View Post
    I thought about going to law school as a midlife change of career, but ultimately decided that the oldest profession was probably less "twisted," chuckle, grin, and wink.
    You made a wise choice FH. A legal career is very stressful, demanding, requires long hours, is low profit, cut throat and emotionally draining. I also don’t wish law school on my worst enemy. So good non-move young lady.
    Newbie members friendly. Troll inhospitable & I have an ever growing troll ignore list!!!
    I’m your Huckleberry and this hobby is just my game. Ladies, just say when!! #Pussy Posse founding member
    If you’re BSC, probably BSC, a drama Queen/King, WK or troll, DON’T PM me or post in my threads
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    Email for issues is support@ourhome2.net The verification process is HERE The review gremlin patch is HERE

Verified Hobbyist & "Counselor" for new reviewers BCD GeorgeDRII's Avatar
    Most careers are what we make of them. But yes being a lawyer is as you stated there Doc, stressful is lightly putting it in having to know all of the laws and loop holes. Not for me. I'm glad I retired from the Army at a ripe old age of 39. Now I have a good job that has a huge contract that supports our troops. FH great job in helping here on our website. This is perhaps the best website I have been on. I like the way it's still rated X and not PG like eccie.

Verified Hobbyist BCD risn2theoccasion2's Avatar
    The intent of the law is good. If someone trusts you enough to allow pics and videos, to use that as a means of blackmail or intimidation is unacceptable. How ever, the original poster is spot on when it comes to laws that are not well defined. You end up with multiple court decisions to interpret the law. In the mean time. Those accused of a crime are pretty much screwed.

Always searching for UTR redheads, hot chocolattes & my next cuppa purrfect java
    Somewhere there is a statistic that out of the thousands of bills filed before the state house and senate, likely only a few hundred make it out of commitee for a floor vote.

Maybe half ? of those getpassed and sent to the other chamber and many of those languish without a vote.

Batting average for a "adult type bill" usually decent but no guarantees.

If the gov inks a bill into law, then the courts have a voice.

Unless the Constitutional lawyers ok this bill, anyone's guess what might happen.