Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tools ?

Verified Companion Companion Champagne Brown's Avatar

Tools ?

So I was supposed to have a guy come out yesterday to cut off two catalytic converters off of my Jaguar, because both are clogged, so I'm planning on running straight pipes or universal?

Will compensate no barter deal..

Thank you, you can reach me by phone, and no I'm not driving to Selma to have it done, need done on locations. My number is everywhere online so

Never mind, guy is on the way now.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    JUST FUN STUFF TO KNOW!!!
    How to Cut Out a Catalytic Converter
    Place a jack under the vehicle's frame.
    Put on your eye protection.
    Locate the catalytic converter by tracing the exhaust pipe from the rear of your vehicle.
    Put on your protective gloves.
    Power on your reciprocating saw.
    Saw through the rear section of the exhaust pipe, about 4 inches from the catalytic converter.

In this regard, how much does it cost to remove a catalytic converter?

Catalytic converter replacement isn't cheap. For most vehicles, the average cost of a catalytic converter repair is between $945 and $2475 including parts and labor. The catalytic converter cost itself can be up to $2250 of that.

Furthermore, is it good to remove catalytic converter? Removing the catalytic converter will save alot more money than replacing it and will make your engine exhale better and last longer due to the removal of a suffocation device "cat" only issue outta all the ones I've removed it is if the downstream O2 sensor is plugged directly in it, which there are ways around.

Also Know, does cutting the catalytic converter affect performance?

Cars that have their catalytic converters removed experience an increase in engine horsepower. Removal of catalytic converters from cars allows exhaust gases to exit their engines much faster and at higher levels.

Does removing catalytic converter make car louder?

Vehicles that have catalytic converters can only operate with unleaded fuel, but when you remove them, you're allowing yourself to put a more efficient and high performance gasoline in the car. 4.) Better sounding exhaust. If you remove your converter, you're giving your car a louder and more distinctive sound.

Will removing catalytic converter hurt engine?
    Detrimental Effects
    Other impacts of removing the converter include risking damage to the other components, primarily the oxygen sensor, which works in conjunction with the catalytic converter. This may also cause the check engine light to come on, which will cause the vehicle to fail an emissions test.

What happens if I remove my catalytic converter?
    Once the catalytic converter is removed from a vehicle, some models do experience a significant increase in power. This advantage occurs because the unit creates a source of back-pressure on the engine. It uses constriction as a way to impact the exhaust gases before they leave the vehicle's system.

Can I replace my catalytic converter with a straight pipe?
    Before replacing your expensive catalytic converter, make sure it is the culprit by replacing it temporarily with a straight pipe, sometimes called a test pipe. If your car runs properly with the test pipe in place, your catalytic converter will need to be replaced soon.

Can a catalytic converter unclog itself?
    To some extent, a clogged catalytic converter can somehow unclog itself. However, do not expect that it would be as clean as a whistle compared to using a cleaning solution to get rid of all the debris that has accumulated within the engine system, particularly after using the vehicle for a long time.
    Will a gutted catalytic converter throw a code?
    it shouldn't throw any codes as long as you keep the O2 sensors hooked up. if you delete the cat entirely and do not hook up the O2 sensors, you will throw codes and run rich. you can delete the cat and weld in a test pipe for the O2 sensor.

What happens if I don't replace my catalytic converter?
    If the engine responds sluggishly or quits after running for a while, a clogged converter could be to blame. Catalytic converters can overheat because of excessive amounts of unburned gas caused by a misfiring spark plug or a leaky exhaust valve. In addition, a failed oxygen sensor can cause overheating.

Is it worth replacing a catalytic converter?
    If your catalytic converter is simply clogged or dirty, you could just add a good catalytic converter cleaner to your gas to help clean up the clog. However, when your catalytic converter gets damaged, it is not worth repairing even if you're told otherwise online. You'd have no option than to replace it.

Can you drill holes in catalytic converter?
    Punching holes in the catalytic converter will make it less likely that your car can pass an emissions test. In states that require emissions testing, it is unwise to alter the converter unless it is a short-term solution to keep the car running until you get the converter replaced.
    Can a car drive without a catalytic converter?
    Bottom Line. Most catalytic converter problems do not prevent your car from functioning, but if a catalytic converter is completely plugged you should not drive your car at all. If you live in an area with smog checks, you will not be able to legally drive your car without having the damaged converter replaced.
    What cars have the most expensive catalytic converters for scrap?
    The next most expensive catalytic converter is a bit closer to home. The Dodge Ram 2500 comes in at $3,460.00. The Ford F250 (similar to the Dodge 2500 in terms of towing and strength) is a mere $2,804.
    Why is catalytic converter so expensive?
    A new catalytic converter can cost $1,000 or more, making it among the most expensive individual parts on any car. They are costly because they use expensive metals such as palladium to promote the chemical reactions that cleanse the exhaust. In theory, catalysts can be used over and over, indefinitely.
    Will removing catalytic converter void warranty?
    YES! Removing your stock Catalytic Converter will MORE THAN LIKELY void your warranty.
    How do you fix a small hole in a catalytic converter?
    Place a piece of steel putty onto the leak. Push on the putty using your finger to seal the leak. Smooth the putty using your finger to make it flush with the catalytic converter. Allow the putty to dry for four hours before starting the engine.
    How much horsepower does removing a catalytic converter add?
    No way did you gain 50 HP by removing the cat. If you got a stock N/A engine. It will be tuned to match the flow (or lack of same), through the cat. Therefore you won't gain very much by removing the cat.

Will removing your catalytic converter increase power and gas mileage?
    A new catalytic converter will not impede fuel mileage much, if at all. A chocked or plugged catalytic converter, on the other hand, removing or replacing it can give you a small increase in fuel economy as well as an increase in horsepower. If it is plugged the fuel economy and horsepower will increase.

What happens when you cut out a catalytic converter?
    Legal Consequences. Removing the catalytic converter is illegal. Its removal will result in the production of more toxic substances and create a public health risk.
    Last edited by ttmax; 12-11-2021 at 01:56 PM.

They gotta come off both are clogged, the guy came came out and started sawing, but said he needed some other tool..

Said, he be back this morning, umm he's not here..

The performance has dropped on jag due to the converters being clogged, so I guess we'll have to see how the performance goes, idk. Jags are very complicated, but I'm thinking about just running a straight pipe.

I let two people drive it, and they didn't let me know how bad the misfiring got until, I jumped in it to go pick up my other car up from the shop.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Champagne Brown View Post
    They gotta come off both are clogged, the guy came came out and started sawing, but said he needed some other tool..

Said, he be back this morning, umm he's not here..

The performance has dropped on jag due to the converters being clogged, so I guess we'll have to see how the performance goes, idk. Jags are very complicated, but I'm thinking about just running a straight pipe.

I let two people drive it, and they didn't let me know how bad the misfiring got until, I jumped in it to go pick up my other car up from the shop.
    My suggestion.... have them taken off to install a straight pipe but with intention of replacing them... I know it's not as easy as it sounds.

I never thought it would be easy, and never sounded easy..

Anytime I let someone touch it they just add more work, for me to do.. I had to stay on this guy's ass today about coming back to finish his work, and me not wanting to find somebody else go behind his work. He already started sawing on my shyt, you better finish! Facepalm lol

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    I never thought it would be easy, and never sounded easy..

Anytime I let someone touch it they just add more work, for me to do.. I had to stay on this guy's ass today about coming back to finish his work, and me not wanting to find somebody else go behind his work. He already started sawing on my shyt, you better finish! Facepalm lol
    Whenever you lay tools on something, it's your baby.
    I'm always leery whenever i'm called in to work on something somebody else didn't complete. I end up checking EVERYTHING before I can address the issue they had. Usually find the original problem doing that. (Swear to god that they have monkeys working on shit.)
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

I've done had 5 people now working on this Jag since I've been here, it been a total nightmare.. So it's just been sitting in the garage. Neighbor and I just finished eating dinner so we were discussing about a friend of theirs maybe possibly coming over since they used to build sports cars.. We'll see what tomorrow brings

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I've done had 5 people now working on this Jag since I've been here, it been a total nightmare.. So it's just been sitting in the garage. Neighbor and I just finished eating dinner so we were discussing about a friend of theirs maybe possibly coming over since they used to build sports cars.. We'll see what tomorrow brings
    Ebay it! You never know what you will get. May be worth a try.

Oh I'm keeping a car low miles, inside still mint condition a hobbyist bought it for me as a gift.

Some misfire was going on and people were driving it, they didn't let me know how bad it got, and it clogged the catalytic converters. They haven't been removed yet guy didn't come back with whatever tool he needed but I did find a place today that will buy them

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    So I was supposed to have a guy come out yesterday to cut off two catalytic converters off of my Jaguar, because both are clogged
    Just so you know....

Google search: "How much can I get for my old catalytic converter?"

"This varies by car and the condition of your catalytic converter. Still, on average, scrap catalytic converters are worth between 300 $ to 1500 $ when sold as scrap at your local wrecking service..."

Layman's terms, dude gonna get at least $300 off you, that's just for a BAD catalytic convertor!!

Just my experience, I doubt this removal will fix your issues... Wish u the best of luck... Suggest you find an Authorized Jaguar Mech, with current credentials, at least with mech/computer skills.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    blkguy +1...

Verified Hobbyist BCD sully1233's Avatar
    Maybe an O2 sensor needs to be replaced

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    If it's a Jaguar XJ8, GOD bless you I had one two years ago & got rid of it due to all of the problems. Started reading reviews from previous Jaguar owners & they all had the same problems. Luckily I had to rent a car from Enterprise to go on a business trip & left it at Enterprise & someone hit it in the parking lot & my insurance company ruled it a total & I was very happy 😄

Quote Originally Posted by blkguy View Post
    Just so you know....

Google search: "How much can I get for my old catalytic converter?"

"This varies by car and the condition of your catalytic converter. Still, on average, scrap catalytic converters are worth between 300 $ to 1500 $ when sold as scrap at your local wrecking service..."

Layman's terms, dude gonna get at least $300 off you, that's just for a BAD catalytic convertor!!

Just my experience, I doubt this removal will fix your issues... Wish u the best of luck... Suggest you find an Authorized Jaguar Mech, with current credentials, at least with mech/computer skills.
    I did call a place yesterday that will buy them it wasn't a wrecking service, the guy also had good reviews customers were happy with what they paid out for the converters.
    Thank you for wishes

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast