Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Financial Questions?

Verified Companion Companion Reese McClain's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Securitized View Post
    Any ladies need answers to questions regarding basic finance, investments, retirement planning, debt management, estate matters, etc.? I have direct experience particularly in the areas of investments and estate management.

Do you need answers to the questions above but aren't ready to spend big money yet on attorneys, CPAs, and snake oil salesmen financial advisors? Trust me, I don't want your money.

PM me your number for a free 1/2 hour consultation. If you then decide that you want to continue the service then we can discuss future arrangements... *wink wink*.

Keep in mind that we are shifting away from the Industrial Age and moving ever so deeply into the Information Age. INFORMATION is the NEW currency in this NEW economy.
    No Toodlez...

Verified Companion Companion
    Quote Originally Posted by Joecango1 View Post
    I'm impressed, beauty and brains. That's hot!
    Thank you :) I had actually forgotten all about this thread and completely missed your post.
    Tall, Slim Girlfriend for Hire
    Where in the World is Taylor Leigh? Dallas but look for me in Austin and Houston, as well.
    Review Policy: Tasteful Testimonials are Appreciated, Graphic Reviews are Not

MULTIPLE HANDLES - BANNED!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf4301 View Post
    Trading around a position when you find a stock that has a pattern if moving 10% to 15% range, buy a few hundred shares when it approaches the bottom of its range, then sell 50% of your purchase as it approaches the top, then when it goes back toward the bottom again, as it will, rebuy and repeat. Can make your over all return very healthy over time. Also look for "best of breed stocks that pay a nice dividend (4% or so, with a history of raising the dividend, reinvest dividends in that stock, over time, compounding will really pay off.
    I like the above approach. A little spin on it would be to use the earnings multiple rather than the share price as a buy/sell target. With higher future earnings, many past stock prices might never be revisited. Sometimes a stock appears expensive but it is actually cheap when factoring in the current or future earnings.

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaAva View Post
    No Toodlez...
    I'll be here if you change your mind. The first half hour is free so that means it's all upside and no downside.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    What active money managers don’t want you to know is that none of them outperform the market in the long run. Plus, those that perform the best charge high fees, so the gains normally accrue to the managers, not the investors.

Your best bet are index funds managed by Vanguard. They offer the lowest fees in the market, and portfolios that track most of the major indices.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Most money managers don't outperform the market, but some do, like myself. Your index fund recommendation is true for the overwhelming majority of people. However, there's a few people out there who can outperform the major indices as stock pickers. With the right temperament and fundamentals, it's actually quite easy to outperform the major indices. On another note, beware of the current ETF situation related to distorted values that I described in post #12 above.

Don't you remember the first lesson in Economics 101? I think it was, "There's no such thing as free pussy".

Or maybe it was lunch...
    Especially the SO pussy... or lunch!

I should of studied Finance in college instead of taking Engineering before making a switch majors my sophomore year.

I have 0 faith in the market and sooner or later if the way our government keeps spending we will be bound to an economic crash.
    220: "2econd 2 n0ne"

"Someday if you're lucky, you will wake up and realize you are old...your belly will go soft, your pretty ass will sag, your back will ache in the night; gray hairs will sprout from your ears. Make sure you fucked your fill before that day!"

Oberian Martell "The Red Viper"...Game of Thrones

Quote Originally Posted by Agent220 View Post
    I should of studied Finance in college instead of taking Engineering before making a switch majors my sophomore year.

I have 0 faith in the market and sooner or later if the way our government keeps spending we will be bound to an economic crash.
    Engineering is actually a better major than Finance because engineering involves deeper problem solving.

Stocks on average grow about 10% a year, based on a typical 10-year period. With U.S. historical inflation at around 3%, that leaves a stock investor a 7% real return over the long term. Compare this return to a bank savings account.

Out of control government spending is likely to cause further deterioration in the purchasing power of the dollar. This means items such as certain commodities or high-demand products will be much more expensive in the future than today. With that conviction, one can choose to buy things that he or she believes are likely to go up in price in the future.

Financial chaos such as an economic crash will result in a transfer in wealth. Most fortunes are made during economic crashes and financial panics because investors can buy quality assets at prices far below their intrinsic value. After the panic settles, the undervalued assets appreciate to higher prices more in line with their appropriate values and this is when the fortunes are made. For instance, compare home prices and the S&P 500 between March 2009 and 2018.

Verified Hobbyist BCD HarryBalzac's Avatar
    Did you mean Wall Street?
    Pretty sure he meant Bissy...

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaAva View Post
    No Toodlez...
    All this market clatter and nobody witty enough to make a joke about chasing Alpha...

Wait, what?

I like the above approach. A little spin on it would be to use the earnings multiple rather than the share price as a buy/sell target. With higher future earnings, many past stock prices might never be revisited. Sometimes a stock appears expensive but it is actually cheap when factoring in the current or future earnings.
    That is why a Bollinger Band analysis can help you. Never rely on single factors when investing, money or time, or anything else...

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryBalzac View Post
    All this market clatter and nobody witty enough to make a joke about chasing Alpha...

Wait, what?
    LOL! Chasing alpha, catching beta.

Anyone serious about investing should read these two books.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC12C8...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

https://www.amazon.com/Random-Walk-D.../dp/0393330338

And don’t trust anyone that tells you that they can consistently beat the market.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Quote Originally Posted by Lovinglifeinaustin View Post
    LOL! Chasing alpha, catching beta.
    My goal is to catch nothing from this site, including beta...

Alpha and beta, like technical analysis in its totality, is useless "magic" over the long term. It uses previous prices to try to predict future prices, which it does correctly about 50% of the time. Technical analysis is basically rubbish when used by itself but it provides a great distraction for the middle class who dream of becoming rich someday and it's wonderful for brokerage firms who collect all those commissions from frequent trading done by college educated white collar retail investors who are too smart for their own good. Smart people make some of the worst investors because they think they "should" already know how to invest just because they're so educated and intelligent. For instance, Sir Isaac Newton lost a fortune in the stock market.

If you flip a coin, calling heads as up and tails as down, and you plot the ups and downs on a chart, the chart will look like a typical stock chart. Fundamental analysis is the only real way to win out over the long term.

Warren Buffett and Peter Lynch didn't use technical analysis to make their fortunes. In fact, I can't think of a single legendary stock investor who used technical analysis as their primary approach.

Those books (Intelligent Investor and Random Walk...) are good but they are only a piece of the overall puzzle. Actually, it's an insult to Benjamin Graham to put Random Walk in the same category. I reject efficiency theory though, which is what Random Walk preaches. Basically, it says that there are no stocks priced incorrectly and that all stock prices take into account all knowable information. Intelligent Investor says that stocks should be purchased below their intrinsic value. Intelligent Investor and Random Walk essentially contradict each other because according to Random Walk, all stocks would be priced correctly.
    Last edited by Securitized; 08-17-2018 at 12:59 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2