Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: LP's, 78's, records and the players, a few questions ...

Registered Female (Not Verified) elisabethwhispers's Avatar

LP's, 78's, records and the players, a few questions ...

Perhaps I need to do more of a google search for my issue but recently, I've toyed with playing records again.

Started fairly innocently. Recently acquired an old console stereo but never messed with it. Then, a friend suggested that my household needed a record player and records. Knew that in recent years past, record players were a bit of a "thing" with the younger bunch but then, told him that I already had a record player.

On a lark, bought a batch of records off of Ebay and have enjoyed listening to some older records. Not perfect sounding but alright. Right now, for me, playing the stereo is more of past time amusement more than anything. Have no interest in being some sort of professional audiophile and buying a turn table and speakers, etc. Never say never, though.

So recently, bought an Emerson, Lake and Palmer record but I believe it's a newer one. Doesn't seem to play the same. Then last week, received a brand new favorite as a treat from a special someone. This record is new, but a whole lot thicker than the old ones. And it's not playing worth flip.

Thought that something was wrong with the console and it probably needs a tuneup of sorts. This morning, tried playing one of the old records and it played fine.

So wrote all of that to write this: What is the dealio with records these days? Why are people even interested in them that much? Novelty or what? For me, it's been fun listening to a few old time favorites of mine. That's all, though.

Also, are new records less able to play on an older machine? Again, probably need to check google again but thought this would be an interesting topic.

Finally, who would I contact, in Dallas, to check out an old console stereo? Any suggestions?

Thanks for reading all of this, looking forward to reading a few opinions and I hope everyone is gearing up to having a great weekend!!!

Sincerely,
    Elisabeth
    www.nottheusualone.com

One Hour - $240
    90 Minutes - $300
    Two Hours - $400

Rates will be changing soon. Contact me to get grandfather'd in!

BANNED! FAILURE TO RESPECT COMMUNITY RULES!
    I think you through off a lot of people when you mentioned Emerson, Lake and Palmer, LOL.. they were like, who the fuck is that?

I think you are on to something regarding LP thickness, and the inability to play right on a certain console.. cd's have the same issue, today's cd's are THINNER and LIGHTER.. waifer-like.. and when you insert them into a player, it is difficult to read the digital bits, and often difficult for a player to simply eject the disc.. small problem, because I rarely buy a current cd, for reasons of musical unworthiness, and poor mastering.. the mastering is loud and compressed among almost all releases the past 20 years, and keeps getting worse.. that is one major reason people returned to records, because it is difficult to compress the analog sound in the grooves of a record, the needle will jump off the stylus. the sound of a record is warmer and smoother, in most cases. a cd can be properly mastered and sound just as good, but apparently listeners and record companies prefer loud, "brickwalled" sound today.. so many people listen in their car, at shopping centers, etc., that the sound has to cut through the surrounding noise levels.. it is a rare person who listens quietly in his home anymore.

I notice your old-school language of calling a record player a "Stereo", LOL.. record players play Mono recordings, too, LOL.. don't tell me you don't know what Mono is, I will call bullshit

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    Most people don't even know what a 78 is anymore, and yes I remember ELP , and ELO and YES The WHO yes I'm old !!!!!!!!!!

Just upgraded my hifi and bought a turntable for the first time since...forever. I’ve been playing my old LPs (can’t believe I kept them all these years), and will probably invest in a few more that I know I’ll listen to.

The experience is just...different. When I go to the trouble of spinning a platter, I actually sit down and listen to the music. The effort for some reason makes the music less “disposable”. It’s not just background noise while I’m doing other things.

The sound is certainly better than most of the streaming services. I haven’t compared to some of my digital lossless tracks yet to see how they compare.
    OH2 and Eccie member since 2009. P411 since 2005. Anything before that just makes me sound old. Do not ask me what I paid. These chicks just dig me for my company.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    I remember the thick and stiff vinyl was cheap back in the day.
    Invest in a good stereo needle. Kept and old Technics double turn arm one I picked up for $5.
    Also make sure the record is clean. A neat way to get most all the dirt off a record is to put wood glue (or Elmers i'd guess) on them and let it dry. Peeling it removes the gunk.
    For warped records, I always thought about placing them between to flat pieces of glass or clear plastic that won't warp from the suns heat and setting it out side. Sounds like it should work.

Good luck.
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I have an old turntable that I bought back in the early 80's. Have not played it in forever, but I have tons of vinyl. Maybe I need to pull it out and try it.

I see a lot of turntables for sale now that will convert the vinyl to a digital recording. Has anyone tried that? How successful is it? I have many tunes I'd like to digitize.

Besides Emerson Lake and Palmer, who are you listening to? As someone else mentioned, cleaning the record is a good idea, especially if you bought it used. Also if you have an old machine, your stylus may need replacing. I don't know who would do repair work in your area, but I would bet that there is someone. I'm sure there are many people with turntables that are still used.

As long as I've known you, I cannot believe that we have never discussed music before.

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    Hi Elisabeth. Just saw you post. I don't have any ELP albums, but I have a ton of records from the '60s, '70s, and up to present. On a decent stereo vinyl records have a warmth and natural sound that I really like. Don't know anyone in Dallas that repairs console stereos. I'm sure there is someone who does. My guess when you find someone, they will want you to bring your console stereo to them, which may not be easy. I recently put together a second stereo off ebay (Marantz 2230 receiver, JBL L100 speakers, and Thorens turntable) that will easily sound better than your console (and anything new under a couple $$$$). I would suggest going that route. Never say never.

I visited a record store for the first time in decades. I remember going to the mall in my younger days and being outraged at the poor selection and high prices (“$8.99?!? That’s highway robbery!”).

Me, 2018: “$25 for a record?!? That’s highway robbery!”
    OH2 and Eccie member since 2009. P411 since 2005. Anything before that just makes me sound old. Do not ask me what I paid. These chicks just dig me for my company.

Quote Originally Posted by samwheat123 View Post
    I don't have any ELP albums
    good to know.. it's alright for a Chick, but had you posted that you own ELP records, I would have reported your post and lobbied to remove you from this Forum.

Elisabeth, I have a little more feedback for you, since you have an interest.

I bought a classic rock album that I already have on CD. Something that was recently remastered, so it’s truly the same album both digital and analog. I played them side by side, switching from one to the other after each track.

There was a difference to my ears. The CD was crisper, almost bordering at times on that digital edge you sometimes hear with VOIP phone calls. Not so much that I would have noticed if I hadn’t been comparing to analog, I think (although I may not be able to unhear it from now on), but it was there. The sound had more punch, which did help with some tracks.

The record was warmer. If the production had been poor, it might sound muddled or mushy in comparison, but in this case it sounded better to me with most tracks.

One thing to note: I have a nice system. In particular, I have invested in a good pair of stereo speakers. I doubt it would be so noticeable with a lesser system. Plus, if I’m not paying close attention to the music (background audio), I wouldn’t notice one way or the other.

I won’t trash all my digital tracks for records, but I will continue to selectively buy records that I want to sit down and listen to.

TinMan displays a true understanding of the science of sound. I abandoned records long ago.. too bulky, scratches, stylus needle gets worn, yada yada.. but the problem becomes acquiring a cd that is mastered correctly.. which is damn difficult.. it shouldn't be, but most mastering is heavily compressed, the sound is squashed into the midrange to purposely make it loud, and destroy dynamic range. people apparently like this, since the trend is 25 years old, and worse now than ever.

it's weird.. in the 1950's, Columbia, Capitol and RCA were trying their damndest, before Stereo existed, to make good-sounding records.. Johnny Mathis, Nat Cole, Sinatra. with relatively primitive tools available. today, the ability to produce good sound is much easier, yet Engineers CHOOSE to make shoddy recordings. kind of like food choices.. we know much more about nutrition now, and have the ability to keep food cold and fresh.. but I'll be damned if we don't choose to eat shit most of the time, LOL

I’d read about the “loudness wars”, but didn’t realize how prevalent the problem is until I started listening to records again and had the ability to compare digital to analog. All my listening so far has been limited to artists whose catalog have been maintained with care, so their CDs sound good. I’m about to make a few purchases from artists who haven’t had the same attention as, say, the Beatles, so I’ll be interested in how those records sound.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    There is a place a friend told me about called Audio Electronics that might be worth checking out.

Interesting everything "old" is "new again. I do have a few CD's that I listen to, but most of the time I listen to my old LP's. Even have some very old 78's and 45's, but have not listened to any of then in a long time. Maybe I'll play then tonight just to go back in time for a while.

Hope this info for repairs helps. Let us know.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    This is really noticeable on some recordings, like the Beatles White Album. They remaster it and as far as I'm concerned it sucks compared to the records originally produced. But you do have to be careful with records as you all know, and replace your needles regularly or the record loses it quality through excessive erosion. Invest in good speakers, they will make up for a lot of lesser quality turntables and amps.

Quote Originally Posted by Chung Tran View Post
    Today, the ability to produce good sound is much easier, yet Engineers CHOOSE to make shoddy recordings. kind of like food choices.. we know much more about nutrition now, and have the ability to keep food cold and fresh.. but I'll be damned if we don't choose to eat shit most of the time, LOL
    So true, and so pathetic...

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf4301 View Post
    Invest in good speakers, they will make up for a lot of lesser quality turntables and amps.
    I disagree. Good speakers will simply make it easier to hear whatever you send to them. Good speakers will allow you to hear quality, or they'll make crap equipment/source louder. They will not make crappy equipment/source sound good.

If you've ever built your own computer, you'll be familiar with the concept of a bottleneck. Basically, your system is only as good as your worst component. You can have the greatest audio system in the world, but if you play a crappy MP3 on it, it's going to sound crappy. Likewise, if you have a BluRay Audio disk playing on the best player, with the best amp with super Monster speaker wires leading to some little Bose speakers, it's going to sound crappy. Overall sound quality is limited by the crappiest aspect of your system.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast