Thread: posting for a RW friend

posting for a RW friend

I have a "Real World" (meaning non-hobby) female friend, and I'm posting this in an effort to help her out. She's looking for an apartment to rent in the 75/635 area. Problem is, she's a felon and she simply cannot find anyone that will rent to her.

If you have any leads or ideas on places she could apply for housing, please post in this thread. She's not interested in becoming a provider.

Thanks OH2 friends!
    -Corona
    @corona__tx (2 underscores) on twitter

Verified Hobbyist BCD GFEProspector's Avatar
    Tell her to check for private condos that are owned by individuals. I knew a girl in Houston who had the same issue and she was able to find a nice affordable condo on Craigslist that was privately owned. As long as the felony isn't too recent and she's not a thief and doesn't allow a bunch of deadbeats to hang around there are plenty of private landlords who will consider 2nd chance tenants.
    A few suggestions:
    1. Make sure that she's well prepared to present herself to the prospective landlord (be punctual, polite and dress appropriately as 1st impressions go a long way)
    2. If she finds a decent landlord, being able to offer the deposit, first month's rent and all other fees up front in cash is extremely helpful.
    3. Have her bring all of her court paperwork with her showing she's off probation/parole, this shows that she's up front and honest.
    4. Don't ignore your intuition - landlords can be DB's so there's no reason to do anything that doesn't feel right. Be very cautious and don't ever let the person think you have the cash on you. Just suggest that you're willing to pay the upfront costs in cash.
    5. If she's not in a position to pay the fees upfront, then she will have to settle for some low end housing options that offer leases to high risk tenants.

I hope this helps ... Good luck!
    Field experience is something you don't get ... until just after you need it.

That's good material GFE.

We have to have criminal justice reform in this country. Barring molesters and violent crimes, there is no reason to punish someone even further who served their time. If you want some interesting reading try The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander
    220: "2econd 2 n0ne"

"Someday if you're lucky, you will wake up and realize you are old...your belly will go soft, your pretty ass will sag, your back will ache in the night; gray hairs will sprout from your ears. Make sure you fucked your fill before that day!"

Oberian Martell "The Red Viper"...Game of Thrones

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Probably a last option for her would be some hotels/motels offer long term stays. They usually aren't the best places, but I am sure that with some work she could find a temporary solution.

Registered Female (Not Verified) elisabethwhispers's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by corona View Post
    I have a "Real World" (meaning non-hobby) female friend, and I'm posting this in an effort to help her out. She's looking for an apartment to rent in the 75/635 area. Problem is, she's a felon and she simply cannot find anyone that will rent to her.

If you have any leads or ideas on places she could apply for housing, please post in this thread. She's not interested in becoming a provider.

Thanks OH2 friends!
    I would suggest that she call, or e-mail, a few of the apartment finder services. Believe it or not, they're the ones who will know who will rent to felons.

And if the first number she contacts won't help her, go to the second number on the list.

That would be my first course of action. Calling a professional apartment finder.

Also, if she can show three months worth of bank (checking account) statements, that will go very far as far as credit checks go. Show that she has deposited enough funds, over the past three months, to pay for the rent. Know that could be challenging for some but it's another option to help out.

Wishing her good luck!
    Elisabeth
    www.nottheusualone.com

One Hour - $240
    90 Minutes - $300
    Two Hours - $400

Rates will be changing soon. Contact me to get grandfather'd in!