Thread: Poor Pitiful Me

Tantrika Dakalini Priestess of Passion's Avatar
    I have been living here for three years without incidence. Last week a customer accidentally went to the wrong house, knocked on one of my neighbor's doors, and told her he was there for a massage. My neighbor said that she doesn't give massages. He went to his car, called me to confirm the address, and came to my house. The neighbor watched where he went, and I let him in. She told my other neighbors that I do massage here. They all started keeping an eye on my house. I have a handy man who is 70 years old, and drives a horrible old clunker, but he is a great handy man. My neighbors apparently do not like the looks of him. They have told the home owners association that lurid looking men have been seen going to my house, and I am running a massage business out of my home. The HOA has told my landlord that I am in violation of the by-laws. The landlord has told me I can't do massages at home any more, and they are going to make a really big deal out of this, if I do. I have a year left on my lease. The neighbors are keeping their window shades open, watching my house. Rent is due in a week. I need money and I am afraid to work at home. This is such a bummer.

512-626-4850

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Priestess of Passion @ Jan 25 2010, 09:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I have been living here for three years without incidence. Last week a customer accidentally went to the wrong house, knocked on one of my neighbor&#39;s doors, and told her he was there for a massage. My neighbor said that she doesn&#39;t give massages. He went to his car, called me to confirm the address, and came to my house. The neighbor watched where he went, and I let him in. She told my other neighbors that I do massage here. They all started keeping an eye on my house. I have a handy man who is 70 years old, and drives a horrible old clunker, but he is a great handy man. My neighbors apparently do not like the looks of him. They have told the home owners association that lurid looking men have been seen going to my house, and I am running a massage business out of my home. The HOA has told my landlord that I am in violation of the by-laws. The landlord has told me I can&#39;t do massages at home any more, and they are going to make a really big deal out of this, if I do. I have a year left on my lease. The neighbors are keeping their window shades open, watching my house. Rent is due in a week. I need money and I am afraid to work at home. This is such a bummer.[/b]
    It would indeed be nice if people would just mind their own business, but being that they can&#39;t :angry: ..... (would like to see what they would do with NO MONEY and rent due), you might consider doing outcall temporarily until you find a new place to live. Unfortunately, sounds like your neighbors are not going to leave well enough alone.

Retired Companion (RIP)
    PP, slowing down was an excellent start.........work in the yard and talk to your neighbors.......you have a new boyfriend, this is your handyman, you have a new trainer, a painter..............keep fewer appts - but make sure you have an excuse for each one. Go outside to meet your clients - wave to the neighbors if you see one. Your clients are your friends that come to see you and have coffee, tea or wine and talk. If your neighbors are home during the day, chances are they are post menapausal women who have nothing to do and are jealous of you.

Your new business is freelancing on the computer. I don&#39;t think you can keep someone from working from their home. Those are old laws that technology has rolled over like a steam roller - unless your HOA laws specifically say &#39;no massages for money&#39; - or they can prove it - then I don&#39;t think they have a case - plus, most HOA don&#39;t have the money to take you to court. But they can and will put pressure on your landlord. Unless you have told your landlord that you give massages - who has to know? The man that went to your neighbors home was being silly..........you have no idea what he was talking about....put your table away any time you leave your home...........don&#39;t leave things set up in the event your landlord comes in while you are away.........then keep paying your rent, and let your landlord handle the neighbors. It is highly unlikely that your landlord will do anything if you pay your rent ontime (or even early!) and keep the unit you rent in good condition. Where is he going to find another renter like you? If he throws you out - then move. He won&#39;t take you to court for not remaining until the end of the lease.......unless he can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you give massages for money........

Very good advice from PennyLane, but do you even have to mention massage? Perhaps you can find an outcall for cheaper than you think - a drag, but it sounds safer. Good luck!

Leah Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PennyLane @ Jan 27 2010, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    PP, slowing down was an excellent start.........work in the yard and talk to your neighbors.......you have a new boyfriend, this is your handyman, you have a new trainer, a painter..............keep fewer appts - but make sure you have an excuse for each one. Go outside to meet your clients - wave to the neighbors if you see one. Your clients are your friends that come to see you and have coffee, tea or wine and talk. If your neighbors are home during the day, chances are they are post menapausal women who have nothing to do and are jealous of you.

Your new business is freelancing on the computer. I don&#39;t think you can keep someone from working from their home. Those are old laws that technology has rolled over like a steam roller - unless your HOA laws specifically say &#39;no massages for money&#39; - or they can prove it - then I don&#39;t think they have a case - plus, most HOA don&#39;t have the money to take you to court. But they can and will put pressure on your landlord. Unless you have told your landlord that you give massages - who has to know? The man that went to your neighbors home was being silly..........you have no idea what he was talking about....put your table away any time you leave your home...........don&#39;t leave things set up in the event your landlord comes in while you are away.........then keep paying your rent, and let your landlord handle the neighbors. It is highly unlikely that your landlord will do anything if you pay your rent ontime (or even early!) and keep the unit you rent in good condition. Where is he going to find another renter like you? If he throws you out - then move. He won&#39;t take you to court for not remaining until the end of the lease.......unless he can prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that you give massages for money........[/b]
    www.LeahIreland.com

Twitter - Leah Ireland

Location; South Beach and travelling - a lot.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (PennyLane @ Jan 27 2010, 02:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    PP, slowing down was an excellent start.................[/b]
    All great ideas Penny, maybe we can add a few more.

Does you home owner agreement prevent work at home projects directly? Check the paperwork for the group, especially if you signed something. Post on this in the Austin forums for more suggestion. Check on city requirements for massage. Check with Dagny in Austin for some guidelines as well. Notary Public is a good legitimate option as another source of income and explaination for visitors as well. Any other ideas we can come up with?

I saw a lady who worked from her home. Every time I saw her she sent me away with some papers. She did computer books and typing of papers for people. At least that was her story, and she stuck to it. The biggest problem she had was when a John showed up with out setting up an appointment. I think security may be the bigger issue than the HOA.

Penny&#39;s advice seems exclent to me.

Figuring It Out Companion mlisa's Avatar
    You definitely need to check into some of the wonderful suggestions and ideas that have already been posted here.
    But be aware that with the recent stories in the news in the past several months about &#39;illicit&#39; businesses working out of neighborhoods that your neighbors are probably already assuming your doing something naughty. So be sure to keep your screening in place.

I think your best cover is one of those work at home type of things. I really liked the idea of the home based, paperwriter etc.

I actually do what I call "girl friday" type of things, I can go in and help people tidy up their personal files, do basic record keeping for them etc. Sort of like the personal shoppers of the 90&#39;s but I attend to those paperwork issues folks just don&#39;t always have the time to attend to. And it would not be unusual for me to work from my home to do some of the computer based projects I might have.

If it turns out there are no limitations to operating a business out of your home then set something up and advertise it in the HOA bulletin (they are bound to have something like that) or maybe on the community bulletin board or local paper. Just make sure you note all meetings are by appointment only.
    another possible advantage could be taxed based as well. You have something to show tax man to keep them off your back.

&#39;
    <span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">Life is short don't waste precious energy on negative people. Screening required if we've never met. P411 plus minimum 2 ladies with their site and contact info included. Live, love, laugh and yet sometimes we still need to cry too, ever so softly.</span>

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ss4699 @ Jan 27 2010, 08:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    All great ideas Penny, maybe we can add a few more.

Does you home owner agreement prevent work at home projects directly? Check the paperwork for the group, especially if you signed something. Post on this in the Austin forums for more suggestion. Check on city requirements for massage. Check with Dagny in Austin for some guidelines as well. Notary Public is a good legitimate option as another source of income and explaination for visitors as well. Any other ideas we can come up with?[/b]
    As of about 2 years ago. You can&#39;t do even Notary Public at home. I AM a notary, and got a letter from the City telling me that it was not a legal "home occupation" by the current laws. Been doing it for 20 yrs, but now, suddenly, it&#39;s NOT okay. Just FYI

Today? IN eneral? Damn Houston most of the time
    It is sad that people are so uncomfortable with their own bodis that thye are opposed to someone trying to make a living by doing massages. I personally dont see the need to report you to the HOA for this BUT...

I am a home-owner AND when I am at home I keep my somewhat good eye out for my part of the neighborhood. Home owners do not really like rent houses for the most part. This is not to say that renters are bad people since sometimes it is the landloard that is the problem in maintaining the appearance of the property but that is the way it is.

What is unfortunate is that your client did not help matters at all as it increased the awarness of and provided knowledge of what you are doing. You can be3t that the neighbors have been talking and discussing you long before this happened. That is the nature of people looking out for not only themsleves but the neighborhood. Most neighborhoods have deed restrictions prohibiting the operation of a business from a home.

I will bet you 10 to 1 that there are daycare businesses being operated in the neighborhood and plenty of other ones too. We went through those issues in our community over selective enforcement of the deed restrictions.

Good luck on finding a new place.

Verified Hobbyist
    POP, how are things working out? What did you decide to to do? How are you handling this?

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    It doesn&#39;t help you now, but it&#39;s probably a good idea to have something absolutely unique about your house or apartment so the guys can&#39;t mistake it for any other door.

"Only knock on the door with the red teddy bear decoration hanging from the doorknob."

Of course, the stupid guys are still going to knock on the wrong door anyway, but maybe it will improve the odds. Make sure it&#39;s something unmistakable and emphasize to the guys that they should only knock on that door.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

I know of a good place for rent that has a Provider friendly landlord.
    pm me for info/location