Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: KC BBQ

I love BBQ, no doubt KC has the best. I love a sweet sticky sauce and Jack Stack on the plaza is my all time
    fav. I have some friends coming in from Dallas and I want to take them on a BBQ "tour". What are your favorite
    places and where are the dives not to be missed?

Kisses and Licks-
    Carlie

I'd like the answer that one too. I have yet to try the BBQ in KC. Someone needs to take me damnit.

Elena, It a date baby!!

Kisses and Licks-
    Carlie

Jackstack, Oklahoma Joe's and Bryants( just because its the original KC joint) would be my recommendations , all are great and yet different enough

Carpe

ps I am available as a tour guide hehehe ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carpe0714 @ Jan 18 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Jackstack, Oklahoma Joe&#39;s and Bryants( just because its the original KC joint) would be my recommendations , all are great and yet different enough

Carpe

ps I am available as a tour guide hehehe ;)[/b]

On the 29th I need a tour guide :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carpe0714 @ Jan 18 2010, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Jackstack, Oklahoma Joe&#39;s and Bryants( just because its the original KC joint) would be my recommendations , all are great and yet different enough

Carpe

ps I am available as a tour guide hehehe ;)[/b]
    Bryant&#39;s original location was down by the old KC A&#39;s baseball stadium. That was a long time ago, when I was but a child. Use to park in neighborhood streets and yards. Took a group there after a Chess tournament once. Most had never been in the place. Handfuls of meat, smoked to perfection. The secret was the seasoned cooking areas and methods. New locations were never the same.
    RJ&#39;s is a little place in the West Dottee. Smokehouse up north is to die for also.
    KC is the home of the barbq society:
    Barbq Society website

Locals primarily -
    Kansas City, MO Arthur Bryant&#39;s Barbeque
    www.arthurbryantsbbq.com - (816) 231-1123 - 186 reviews

Jack Stack Barbecue: Freight House
    www.jackstackbbq.com - (816) 472-7427 - 124 reviews

Gates BBQ Brooklyn
    www.gatesbbq.com - (816) 483-3880 - 25 reviews

Danny Edwards Famous Kansas City Barbecue
    www.dannyedwardsblvdbbq.com - (816) 283-0880 - 11 reviews

Fiorella&#39;s Jack Stack BBQ
    www.jackstackbbq.com - (816) 531-7427 - 57 reviews

Winslow&#39;s KC-Style City Market Barbecue
    www.winslowsbbq.com - (816) 471-7427 - 18 reviews

LC&#39;s Bar-BQ
    maps.google.com - (816) 923-4484 - 43 reviews

BB&#39;s Lawnside BarB-Q‎ 31 reviews - Write a review
    1205 East 85th Street, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 822-7427‎
    Category: Barbecue Restaurant
    "A good place to go for and evening of music and food. Great jazz music, awesome food. Small place but lots of good fun. Nice,fun relaxing place to go. ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    Smokin Guns BBQ & Catering‎ 4 reviews - Write a review
    1218 Swift Avenue, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 221-2535‎
    "Burnt Ends 10Ribs 9Brisket 8.5 Pulled Pork 7.5Turkey 7.5Beans 8 Fries 7 Sauce 7.5Value (price) 8 Overall Rating 8.1This BBQ restaurant is one ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    KC Masterpiece Barbecue & Grill‎ 18 reviews - Write a review
    4747 Wyandotte Street, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 531-3332‎
    "I like the sauce! I like the atmosphere! I couldn&#39;t finish the beef ribs there was so much! This is a place you go to socialize, take your time, eat ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    Smokehouse BBQ‎ 6 reviews - Write a review
    8541 Northwest Prairie View Road, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 587-3337‎
    "Smokehouse has great tasting bbq meats, great beans, good side items. The sauce is great too. This location is a great place to meet for lunch ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎

Jake Edwards Bar B Que‎ 5 reviews - Write a review
    5107 Main Street, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 531-8878‎
    "Jake&#39;s has excellent BBQ but their sweet potato fries are to die for. They are delicious beyond belief. The quantity of all the food is great. ..."
    Smokebox BBQ‎ 2 reviews - Write a review
    9237 North Oak Trafficway, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 468-7969‎
    "We usually visit the Tiffany Springs location when we visit Smokebox Bbq. The food is fantastic. I love their chicken strips and steak fries. ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    barbeque near Kansas City, MO
    George Brett&#39;s‎ 5 reviews - Write a review
    210 West 47th Street, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 561-6565‎
    "I keep going back because I like the atmosphere and the waitresses are friendly but the food continues to be really gross. I don&#39;t understand why this ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    Smoke House BBQ‎ 31 reviews - Write a review
    6304 North Oak Freeway, Gladstone, MO‎ - (816) 454-4500‎
    "I always order my BBQ with sauce on the side and I get the Cajun, which is unique to KC BBQ and it is delicious! The pit beans are the ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    Smokin&#39; Joe&#39;s BBQ‎ Write a review
    1100 Main St, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 221-8821‎
    Directions‎
    Backyard Bash BBQ Headquarters‎ Write a review
    6264 Lewis Street Ste 100, Parkville, MO‎ - (816) 587-9990‎
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    Matchstick BBQ‎ 7 reviews - Write a review
    1809 West 39th Street, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 569-2900‎
    "Ordered the double meat (Beef and pulled pork) which was good but a little greasy for me. My bun was soaked. Fries were excellent. The spicy sauce is ..."
    Website‎ - Directions‎
    Tailgator BBQ LLC‎ Write a review
    4010 Washington Street, Kansas City, MO‎ - (816) 756-1568‎
    Website‎ - Directions‎

and there are more.....

I want to know the locals favorites and why they are YOUR favorites...I dont know the people writing the reviews,
    on the net. Im not gonna trust their word, I want to hear from the locals in "my" community that I know and trust.

What are YOUR favorites and why? Is it the sauce...sticky, spicy, sweet, or is it a rub...How about the beans, fries,
    Do you prefer a Dive for BBQ or a sit down experience like Jack Stacks?

Kisses and Licks-
    Carlie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carlie @ Jan 19 2010, 09:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I want to know the locals favorites and why they are YOUR favorites...I dont know the people writing the reviews,
    on the net. Im not gonna trust their word, I want to hear from the locals in "my" community that I know and trust.

What are YOUR favorites and why? Is it the sauce...sticky, spicy, sweet, or is it a rub...How about the beans, fries,
    Do you prefer a Dive for BBQ or a sit down experience like Jack Stacks?

Kisses and Licks-
    Carlie[/b]
    well in my biased opinion:
    Smiokehouse has the best pulled pork
    RJ&#39;s the best beans and the beef round up is sweet, I prefer sweet! In my barbq and other places.

There is a new drive thru place in Lawrence, can remember the name, that have 4 sauces to choose from, first time I have seen that option and the beef was great

There is a new place opening in Tongie soon, I taste tested it a while back. I&#39;ll give an official review when that happens!

Best ribs.....so far Gates...

Mmmmm, now thats what Im talkin about!!

Kisses and Licks-
    Carlie

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carlie @ Jan 19 2010, 04:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Mmmmm, now thats what Im talkin about!!

Kisses and Licks-
    Carlie[/b]
    That&#39;s because you are so sweet too! I remember the flavors and smells and the taste of you, like it was yesterday.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ss4699 @ Jan 19 2010, 06:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    That&#39;s because you are so sweet too! I remember the flavors and smells and the taste of you, like it was yesterday.[/b]
    SS, I always knew you were a sweet, rub guy... I know its hard to find that in KC...

Kisses and Licks-
    Carlie

Jackstack has the most varied BBQ in terms of meats and seafood, and the lamb ribs are righteously outstanding. I love the beans with chunks of burnt ends mixed in to them. I agree about Bryants as the best beef but Oklahoma Joes has great beef and the seasoned fries are yummy

Elena just let me know wher and when m&#39;dear...for your tour that is

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carpe0714 @ Jan 21 2010, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Jackstack has the most varied BBQ in terms of meats and seafood, and the lamb ribs are righteously outstanding. I love the beans with chunks of burnt ends mixed in to them. I agree about Bryants as the best beef but Oklahoma Joes has great beef and the seasoned fries are yummy

Elena just let me know wher and when m&#39;dear...for your tour that is [/b]

Next Friday noonish? You know how to get ahold of me. :D

Registered Male (Not Verified) Wizard of Ahhhhs's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (carlie @ Jan 19 2010, 05:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Mmmmm, now thats what Im talkin about!![/b]
    Not going to even venture a guess as to how many times Carlie has screamed that!

When I first moved to the KC area some 20 years ago, I was a big Hayward&#39;s fan. I STILL love their sauce more than others, so will buy it at the grocery store for home.

I have a "standard lunch date" every month with our IT consultant at our office, who loves Gates and since there&#39;s a Gates within a few blocks from my office, that&#39;s where we go once a month (in fact, going there tomorrow). My standard order there now is "Beef on bun from the butt end!"

But for sit-down dining, I have become a Jack Stack fan, and generally go to the one behind Union Station (you access it off of 20th Street by Manny&#39;s, which could be a whole &#39;nother thread on best Mexican in Kansas City, but I digress....). The beans are good there, but wouldn&#39;t rate them as highly as some other BBQ places. The cheesy corn bake is awesome. The onion rings are HUGE! As far as entrees, the burnt ends are very tasty, but my favorite order is the Crown Prime Rib, or as I call them, the Flinstone Ribs. All you get are three ribs but they are huge and fall-off-the-bone delicious. Back when I weighed 100 pounds more than I do now, I could polish off all three plus the sides in one sitting (probably why I weighed what I did, huh?). Now, I barely get through one, but that leaves plenty for several lunches days later.

Oh, look..! It&#39;s lunch time...!
    Pay No Attention to the Man Behind the Curtain..!!!

The woman cums first.. and 2nd... and 3rd.... and... well, you get the idea!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Wizard of Ahhhhs @ Jan 21 2010, 11:41 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Not going to even venture a guess as to how many times Carlie has screamed that!

When I first moved to the KC area some 20 years ago, I was a big Hayward&#39;s fan. I STILL love their sauce more than others, so will buy it at the grocery store for home.

I have a "standard lunch date" every month with our IT consultant at our office, who loves Gates and since there&#39;s a Gates within a few blocks from my office, that&#39;s where we go once a month (in fact, going there tomorrow). My standard order there now is "Beef on bun from the butt end!"

But for sit-down dining, I have become a Jack Stack fan, and generally go to the one behind Union Station (you access it off of 20th Street by Manny&#39;s, which could be a whole &#39;nother thread on best Mexican in Kansas City, but I digress....). The beans are good there, but wouldn&#39;t rate them as highly as some other BBQ places. The cheesy corn bake is awesome. The onion rings are HUGE! As far as entrees, the burnt ends are very tasty, but my favorite order is the Crown Prime Rib, or as I call them, the Flinstone Ribs. All you get are three ribs but they are huge and fall-off-the-bone delicious. Back when I weighed 100 pounds more than I do now, I could polish off all three plus the sides in one sitting (probably why I weighed what I did, huh?). Now, I barely get through one, but that leaves plenty for several lunches days later.

Oh, look..! It&#39;s lunch time...![/b]

Oh.....I&#39;m soooooooo hungry now.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast