Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Best Knives?

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    No better knives than Cutco....
    Free replacement for life, and they come to your house to sharpen them... free!

Verified Companion Companion The Water Company ~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
    Best investment I ever made for any of my knives (kitchen, utility/pocket, lawn blades/tools).

Ken Onion Professional Knife Sharpening Tool

This is an amazing knife sharpening tool. I got mine at Bass Pro Shops but you can get it at Cabela's as well. You can also find it on Amazon or many other online retailers. I believe I paid $150 for mine.

There's also a "base" model that has a few less options for ~$79. It's really the *only* sharpening tool I've used over the years, after trying many, that actually gets kitchen blades back to razor sharpness (or however sharp you desire). You can also sharpen lawn and garden blade tools, scissors, and so on.

Other manual and power tools can do it but they take considerable work.

This one uses various grit sandpapers. You set the dial to the proper angle for that knife style (there's a manual to reference) and slide the knife blade quickly through, while pulling the power trigger, and repeat on each side of the blade. It makes it so easy. The various grits hone (or rehone) a blade and refine it effortlessly and perfectly.
    MG you're so informative.
    what channel are you on? I'm tuning into the MathGuy TV show
    and I'm watching every episode! lol

oh, i'll be checking out the 'Ken Onion Professional Knife Sharpening Tool'

thanks,

^ Hah! Thx so much for that huge compliment ~P

It really is an awesome tool though. Both are amazing; my tool or Ken Onion's tool. Whichever you choose ya can't go wrong!

Hehehe. I couldn't resist that perfect double entendre Thx again sweetie
    -MG

Those are some good looking knives DR.
    I'll take the Japanese G-2 please and thanks.

~

Verified Companion Companion DallasRain's Avatar
    have fun shopping!

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I might suggest heading to a Williams Sonoma, Sur la Table, or similar local kitchen store. Each offers several varieties and price points of knives for you to try. For example, Sur la Table in KC has veggies for you to cut to really try out the knives.

I’ve gone down two paths:
    1. Wusthof Classic knives. Classic German knives. Good feel in the hand. Sharp. Easy to maintain. Once a year before the World Series of BBQ, I have them professionally sharpened—which is different than using the steel [which I highly recommend].
    2. Shun Classic knives. I received some as a gift. Incredibly sharp. Different steel composition, and somewhat brittle. Therefore, the edge pits. Then back to professional sharpener.

Some additional thoughts:
    1. Buy a good storage device and use it—magnet, etc.—you don’t want the blades knocking into one another.
    2. Hand wash.
    3. Buy and use a good steel.
    4. You can’t beat a professional sharpener. The most dangerous thing in a kitchen is a dull knife.
    5. Find a knife that feels good in your hand, and offers enough weight to let the knife do the job—not you.
    6. Properly maintained, a good knife is a lifetime investment and a joy to use.
    7. DON’T use glass “cutting boards.” They ruin the edge on the knife. Wood first. Then certain plastics.
    8. Typically, when purchasing a knife set, you overpay due to getting several knives you don’t need or use. What do you cook? What knives do you need? 1 good chef’s knife, a good paring knife, and a bread slicer will get you through 95% of dishes.

Any other questions, please feel free to PM.
    Last edited by Luvzlife; 07-19-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lawnfriis View Post
    No better knives than Cutco....
    Free replacement for life, and they come to your house to sharpen them... free!
    free and housecalls !? on way to buy Cutco knives just to have lifetime housecalls.
    i hope they send 2 of their best chippendales look-a-likes. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Luvzlife View Post
    I might suggest heading to a Williams Sonoma, Sur la Table, or similar local kitchen store. Each offers several varieties and price points of knives for you to try. For example, Sur la Table in KC has veggies for you to cut to really try out the knives.

I’ve gone down two paths:
    1. Wusthof Classic knives. Classic German knives. Good feel in the hand. Sharp. Easy to maintain. Once a year before the World Series of BBQ, I have them professionally sharpened—which is different than using the steel [which I highly recommend].
    2. Shun Classic knives. I received some as a gift. Incredibly sharp. Different steel composition, and somewhat brittle. Therefore, the edge pits. Then back to professional sharpener.

Some additional thoughts:
    1. Buy a good storage device and use it—magnet, etc.—you don’t want the blades knocking into one another.
    2. Hand wash.
    3. Buy and use a good steel.
    4. You can’t beat a professional sharpener. The most dangerous thing in a kitchen is a dull knife.
    5. Find a knife that feels good in your hand, and offers enough weight to let the knife do the job—not you.
    6. Properly maintained, a good knife is a lifetime investment and a joy to use.
    7. DON’T use glass “cutting boards.” They ruin the edge on the knife. Wood first. Then certain plastics.
    8. Typically, when purchasing a knife set, you overpay due to getting several knives you don’t need or use. What do you cook? What knives do you need? 1 good chef’s knife, a good paring knife, and a bread slicer will get you through 95% of dishes.

Any other questions, please feel free to PM.
    during Barry is when i realized my favorite knife was dull.
    was gonna slice up some meat but realized the knife was dull
    and it would prolly do more harm than good so i decided
    against slicing up or tearing up any good food which wouldn't have been a good thing.
    i never lost power but was prepared in case i did.
    i loaded up on some things from Costco.

you have so much good information here,
    this is good advice Buy a good storage device
    and i definitely don't need any dull knives in my kitchen (like i do now) as i like EVERYTHING
    lined and sharp.

thank you so much for the advice. hugs to you Luvzlife

Many suggestions for brands above are great and certainly the better quality knives will keep an edge longer than cheapo junk. You just need to realize that any knife will lose its edge over time as you cut things.

Even slicing tomatoes or lettuce or oranges will dull a blade over time. The better the knife the longer this may take, due to the quality of the honing, knife material, and what you are cutting; but they will all dull with use. This happens b/c the blade "folds" and bends where the concave or convex sides meet to make the sharp edge at the bottom. You won't be able to see it b/c it's so small most of the time, but it's enough to take away that smooth razor cut (sometimes it will be so bad that you can see it). The edge also gets small micro tears, cracks, or fissures.

The finer the angle on the blade, for example, like Japanese style acute angles, various santoku knives, which create an extremely razor sharp edge, will dull much faster generally speaking. This is also why straight razor blades in our hair shavers go bad so fast. They have an extremely tight angle where the metal comes down to create that razor edge. As a result when they cut through our relatively tough hair they bend, fold, and crack at the edge.

So the next time you use the razor it won't just glide through the hair b/c the last cut through the hair damaged that perfect edge. Obviously they can be used more than just once, but for men's facial hair as an example, it really won't be much more than ~3-4 uses before it's significantly dulled. Our hair is so course and thick it ruins that fine edge within 1 to 3 passes.

The Ken Onion Sharpener I linked is truly great at allowing you to sharpen your knives with all types of different angles. Kitchen knives usually have around a 30-40 degree angle. A sharp santoku or samurai style edge will be more like 15 to 20 degrees. A razor blade is like 5-10 degrees. But remember the tighter that angle is the quicker you will damage the edge. Always use the proper angles for the knife style.

The manual that comes with the Ken Onion sharpener has a decent guide to reference for help in knowing which angles to set it for when sharpening or re-honing various blades.

Ken Onion Pro Sharpening Tool
    -MG

I was pulled over by a cop the other night for having one headlight, the other was burned out, so the officer asked, 'Do you have any weapons" ? Told him, I have a sharp steak knife from Lonestar steak house. He laughed. True story
    The hologen light bulb was $12 at AutoZone the steak knife was $37

Verified Companion Companion DallasRain's Avatar
    I have some awesome actual chef knives...my son found them in their case all new on the street by Emerial's when he used to work there
    Texas in late April/early May!!

480-204-5151
    harleydee69@gmail.com

NEW VIDEOS..selling short video clips....I accept paypal or cash app,venmo or CASH

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2