Thread: Storm preparations:

Verified Companion Companion The Water Company ~'s Avatar

Storm preparations:

Since I'm not used to a storm of this nature, I am little scared.
    Thanks to those who genuinely help others and have given me (and others) storm advice... Thank you!!!
    Click here >> Storm preparation advice article

According to this article it's gonna be bad.
    Click here >> Developing hurricane threatens to unleash one of the worst flood events in New Orleans' history this weekend

Sharing a little more storm advice prep:
    Basically stock up for several days because stores and roads might be closed, lots of items will be out of stock. Remember to fill up your gas tank in your vehicle, have cash at hand since ATMs may not work. And have a battery operated radio - if nothing else you have one in your vehicle. Make sure your laptop is charged. If power goes out, use you phone for news, and use a usb from your laptop to charge the phone. A laptop can charge a phone 10 times or more.
    Anyone else you're welcome to comment and share any other storm advice.

Hurricane hack:
    If you have a freezer with some extra room, buy two or three 1 gallon containers of drinking water. Pour out about a pint from each and put them in the freezer. It will freeze into blocks of ice, so if you loose electricity for 24-36 hours these blocks of ice will keep the freezer so cold that food won't thaw.
    And if the outage last longer, you will have extra drinking water (I definitely need this tip for the stuff in my freezer) Thanks!!!

...And also thank you Myren for reminding me of the number one essential item that is never mentioned to have handy: a cork screw wine opener to open my bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon

#HelpingOthers ~

Good luck to you ~P and all the people in the path of T.S.Barry ...... I'm glad you are being proactive and stay safe!

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    Love and best wishes to all Louisiana residents.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Good luck ~P and to those in New Orleans or in the storms path. You mentioned about the laptop charging thing. You might want to get some lithium ion rechargeable power bricks/block.
    Like these: Amazon Link to USB Charging Block

These are great for power outages.

I have 3 or 4 different types of these charging bricks/blocks that I use all the time just b/c I like to keep my devices around the house charged but if I'm not near a plug I'll have one of my battery blocks and can charge my device.
    You don't have to spend $50 or $75 as in the link I displayed. You can get them for $5-$10 at Walgreens and Walmart. However, those won't have as many mAh (milliamp hours).
    The one from the link above that's rated up to 20,000+mAh will recharge a full size iPad or Samsung tablet at least 3-4 times. A phone probably 5-6 times. Look at the chart on the link above (they provide a guide down lower on the page). The 26,000+mAh version can recharge a full size iPhone XR or tablet about 6.1 times from no charge at all.

If you had the equivalent of 2 or 3 of those already charged up (make sure they are charged - many of them come charged) you could recharge a full size Galaxy S10 or iPhone XR or equivalent tablet nearly 20 times over between the power blocks. That's all the way from dead zero to a full charge. The charge block will last for a LONG time too when not in use. I've had a 15,000mAh power block sitting at 100% and it hasn't lost a single bit of charge in 3 months. It would take a year just to lose 5-10% charge if you have a good quality one (the super cheapo $5-$10 ones at Walmart/Walgreens checkout stands are not going to be quite that great though I'll be honest).
    -MG

Thanks Knothead. Thanks James.
    MG, I have everything fully charged
    and I have an extra battery pack on deck, thank you for all the great info, appreciate it.

Wishing everyone safety this weekend ~

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Fill the tub with water for washing dishes anx flushing the toilet if the water goes out
    Good manners and courtesy open more doors than they ever close and they cost you nothing.
    CBJ Haters Militia member

^Thanks OG. I think Barry no showed me. How are things in your area babe?

Quote Originally Posted by Seeking ~P View Post
    ^Thanks OG. I think Barry no showed me.
    Sometimes a "no show" is a good thing! I'm glad you are okay!

^I'm Curled up with a good book and won't complain abt being stood up. Lol. Thanks babe!

Goodnight ~

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    Stay safe fine lady. There may still be some river flooding danger as the storm moves onshore.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

^You're right James. We are not out of the woods yet. Still damp. Everyone keep safe and be careful!