Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lets talk about healthy lifestyles

Verified Companion Companion NikkiGhost's Avatar

Lets talk about healthy lifestyles

Wanting to know more information on kayaking(best spots), veganism(recipes), and workout routines. I don't know much about these topics but would like to hear input from others that currently live/d these lifestyles enough to give advice. Yes, I could google it. But I'd rather ask and recieve awesome tips from you guys

Verified Hobbyist BCD Daniel Larusso's Avatar
    Kayaking is great just about anywhere. I like to hit town lake as it is really great for people watching as well. I do a bunch of different workout routines but my favorite is with kettlebells. You can find many different routines online or take a class at TruFusion in S. Austin.
    Last edited by Daniel Larusso; 06-25-2019 at 04:01 PM.
    Wax on, wax off.

Molon Labe

Retired Companion
    I do yoga and walking. Since I have a bad back I've discovered gentle yoga is fantastic for it. I also try to do some meatless dishes during the week. Boca has some good meatless options available. And if you put enough mustard,lettuce,onions and tomatoes on the fake burger patties - it is actually pretty good! Although, it still doesn't beat a good medium raw steak. Oh I'm hungry now!!!

For veganism, the Engine 2 Diet is a good book with lots of great recipes. The author, Rip Esselstyn, is a local boy, swimmer at UT back in the 80's, former professional triathlete, then fireman with AFD until he quit to promote his vegan books. I'm not a vegan but I like most of his recipes.

For exercise, I just run, bike, and swim. There are lots of groups you can road bike with on weekends. Road biking is not for everyone, but if you're interested, sent me a PM and I'll give you more info. I have tried some bootcamps and cross-fit and they were very effective. I haven't tried enough to recommend one in particular. Just see who is offering a groupon near you and sign up. My problem with them is they all seem to want around $100 a month after the groupon expires, which seems a lot to me for a bunch of workouts I can do by myself for nothing. I guess it's how well you can motivate yourself.

Can't help you with kayaking, sorry.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    Whatever you do love, stick with it. Once you develop a healthy workout and diet habit, maintain it. Keep records of it. MyFitnessPal is a great app for tracking your diet and exercise routine.

I used to run a lot, and hit the gym. But now that I’m older, walking is my exercise of choice, 30-60 minutes a day. I will hit the gym only on rare occasions. I regret that I let go of a more rigorous routine. Those habits are difficult to establish once you let them go.

Best of luck to you.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Bottom line, you got to move your body. Check this out: https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/19/healt...ing/index.html

I am a 57 yo male who smoked <pack a day for 25 years, but was always reasonably HWP. 4 years ago, concerned with loss of muscle mass, I started lifting weights with a trainer. He does cardio stuff along with the classic lifts, pylometrics, body weight movements like pushups and strong man type movements (e.g., farmers walk). I love the challenge and mental fortitude required to push yourself during the lift sessions. For the most part I have stuck to lifting in one hour sessions 2-3 times a week, augmented with hiking, indoor rock climbing (Crux!), SUP (in the summer) and golf.

After 4 years:
    I stopped smoking 2 years ago (yay, Juul!), gained 14 pounds while losing a 1/2" waist size to a loose 32" (6', 182lb). Resting heart rate is now 48. I can dead lift over 300 lbs two times in a row, do 20 dips, backsquat 1.4x body weight. Stronger than I was when I was 25. It has taken a long time and consistently showing up for sessions to achieve this. But I look/feel great. And, my testosterone level went for 310 (very low of "normal" range) to 480 without any drugs. All I take is a multi vitamin each day, along with my Zyrtek.

I will do some sort of resistance training for the rest of my life. As LLIA said, find something you enjoy and stick with. CONSISTENCY IS KEY.

HTH

Verified Companion Companion NikkiGhost's Avatar
    Wow! I didn't think anyone was going to reply to this thread lol Thank you all for the helpful tips everyone! I really appreciate it!

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I’ve been vegan about 11yrs. I was vegetarian for about +10yrs before that. Austin has a ton of good vegan food.
    Capital city bakery - sweets
    Bouldin creek Cafe - all vegetarian / loads of vegan food
    Vegan Nom - tacos
    Sundaze - vegan chicken sandwiches
    Plow Burger - great vegan burger

I’ve heard kayaking is really relaxing. I can’t believe I’ve never tried it, but it’s on my bucket list.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Groovy Johnson's Avatar
    +1 on Engine 2 Diet books/videos
    +1 on 1ofthem's eatery suggestions. I would add Arlos for burgers and mac&cheese. And Counter Culture is amazing.

Also,for learning the theory and science of veganism, Dr John McDougal MD is hard to beat. He has a website and tons of youtubes.
    Last I looked Austin has several plant-based MDs.

I know 2 providers who kayak. Shoot me a PM if interested.

Enjoy
    gj
    Vaccinated
    Vajitarian

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    After my stem cell transplant I need to follow a strict schedule for food, meats must be cooked good, no raw food ,no deli food, vegetables must be washed very carefully. I produced my own healthy stem cells to replace cancer cells from multiple myeloma

Registered Male (Not Verified) QMisc's Avatar
    Just adding my two cents. YMMV... start slow and easy. After a long break, I started back into regular, consistent exercise through the "Walk with Ease" program. From there, I progressed back into a walk/run routine and gentle yoga. Added weight-bearing program (body weight exercises to start, then progressed to actual weights). My favorite program uses sandbags; one of the hardest programs that I like as it combines aerobic and weights in one.

Some sites that I find helpful:
    American Council on Exercise - blog and exercise library: https://www.acefitness.org/education...ercise-library
    DAREBEE - https://darebee.com/. Lots of ideas here. Great for exploring and trying something new.

In the end, do what feels right to you.

I deal with a lot of chronic pain and the best thing that I've done is to get up and move. It sucks and there are days where I fail (and feel) miserably. When I'm consistent and listen to my body, things are better.

Nutrition-wise:
    I'm on a fairly strict dairy and gluten free diet. Paleo is the best for me. There are so many good resources Internet-wise. Again, IMHO, eat what feels right for you.

If you have any other questions, please PM me.
    Best regards,
    QMisc

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    Kayaking on Canyon Lake is really mellow. Kayaking on the Guadalupe or the Blanco can be a bit challenging (current takes you under dead trees (snakes) and into small rapids ocassionally. Make sure you know where the dams are! Went over one for shits and grins! Cowabunga! Have a good, kayaking vest and a helmet! Lots of submerged trees at the bottom of a damn!

Quote Originally Posted by Lovinglifeinaustin View Post
    Whatever you do love, stick with it. Once you develop a healthy workout and diet habit, maintain it. Keep records of it. MyFitnessPal is a great app for tracking your diet and exercise routine.

I used to run a lot, and hit the gym. But now that I’m older, walking is my exercise of choice, 30-60 minutes a day. I will hit the gym only on rare occasions. I regret that I let go of a more rigorous routine. Those habits are difficult to establish once you let them go.

Best of luck to you.
    +1 on MyFitnessPal.
    Great app. If you use a Garmin or Fitbit device you can sync it with MFP app.

Also, yea, running is great. Or jogging if you can't run yet. Walking if you can't do that yet. Walk uphill or incline treadmill for extra calorie burn and low impact workout.

Running is a great aerobic workout. If you have knee issues definitely walk (but, again, incline for extra burn) or use a bike or rowing machine or stair climber. Ellipticals are ok too but less calorie burn.

Lifting weights at least 3 times/wk for 30min will help keep muscles toned. Doesn't have to be huge weight lifting but you should incorporate some lifting.

The diet will depend if you are vegan or not but I'd suggest a relatively low carb diet consisting of these ratios of macronutrients:
    25-35% protein
    20-30% fats
    35-55% carbs

Typical carb range for the average persons diet is 50-70%. Beyond 55% is simply too high. The Paleo diet, although I don't subscribe to or advocate all of its ideas, does have a sound theory. We have not evolved to process & metabolize the large amount of sugars that exist in our modern diet. It's likely why we've seen so many sugar, weight, diabetes, and heart related issues arise. Along with the lack of activity due to an advancing info/tech age it's no wonder that we are seeing the trends we see in society with weight and health issues.
    -MG

The other thing that is REALLY IMPORTANT to overall health, but hasn't been mentioned on this thread, is a good night's sleep. Good sleeping not only helps your body recover from workouts, but helps to burn calories and fight off bugs among other benefits. http://sleepeducation.org/healthysle...y-sleep-basics

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast