Thread: Needing a vacation

While I had a major professional success this week I had one hit after another personally. Feel like I could seriously use a vacation.
    I am looking at going for a firearm's training class near Vegas in March, but that is not really a vacation.
    Any suggestions on a decent place to go for a short (3-day) get-a-way?
    "if I could start again
    a million miles away
    I would keep myself
    I would find a way"

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mstrdragon @ Nov 22 2009, 11:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    While I had a major professional success this week I had one hit after another personally. Feel like I could seriously use a vacation.
    I am looking at going for a firearm&#39;s training class near Vegas in March, but that is not really a vacation.
    Any suggestions on a decent place to go for a short (3-day) get-a-way?[/b]
    Ahhh.... Grasshopper, it&#39;s the journey, not the destination.

Seriously, do you want to enjoy the drive, or do you want to go somewhere and stay in one place and enjoy that place? You want peace and quiet or partying?

Fly or drive?

I think it&#39;s too late to enjoy the fall leaves anywhere nearby.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Registered Male (Not Verified) LoneStarElite's Avatar
    Key West. Is there really any other choice?

Registered Male (Not Verified) txsacker's Avatar
    I hear nice things about Costa Rica.... :D
    "Pardonnez a mes levres car elles trouvent de la joie dans les lieux les plus etranges."
    (Pardon my lips, they find pleasure in unusual places.)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (txsacker @ Dec 28 2009, 06:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I hear nice things about Costa Rica.... :D[/b]

Costa Rica is very nice, but like Jamaica, hard to do in 3 days because of the travel time. I am going to try Key West in February and will report back afterwards. Cancun is always a favorite fr a quick trip, or if you want to really lay back, you could go snow skiing. Breckenridge is very nice and not as pretentious as Vail. I hear that Angelfire is nice as well. Wherever you decide to journey, travel safely and have FUN!!!!
    I may get too old to cut the mustard, but I&#39;ll never be too old to lay around and lick the jar!!!

Registered Male (Not Verified) tcreative2's Avatar
    I just spent a week in the Adirondack Mtns about 100 miles South of Montreal ......... it was 8% F. with a 40mph wind and snowing when I got there ......... it never got above 20 the entire week and the morning I left it was below zero with a 50mph wind ..... I had to do quite a bit of work outside on a ladder and even had to climb up on a two story roof to point some bricks with an anti-freeze mortar and re-attach a chimney cap ...... Austin has never seemed nicer since I got back ........ maybe for my next trip I&#39;ll try Siberia or the Antartic

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    TC, next time you are thinking about a vacation, let me get offer you one of our "staycation" packages. You simply stay home where it&#39;s warm.

I&#39;ll only charge you $50 a day.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Well, I did decide on a place to go, but won&#39;t be headed there until the end of March. Going for a 4-day firearm training class at a well-known training school just outside Las Vegas. May not seem like that much of a vacation to some, but I am looking forward to it.

And tcreative2, I use to live in the area you mentioned about 30 years ago. That was a "warm" day as I recall for the winters up there. Up side, got to see the 1980 Winter Olympics first hand. Down side, black fly&#39;s in the spring and bone chilling cold in the middle of winter yet still had to stand outside and wait for the school bus! I don&#39;t miss it.
    "if I could start again
    a million miles away
    I would keep myself
    I would find a way"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (LoneStarElite @ Nov 22 2009, 08:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Key West. Is there really any other choice?[/b]
    Yes! Lake Tahoe for a 3-day ski trip - there are some good resorts, great resturants, and decent entertainment.

Verified Hobbyist BCD ThatHarleyGuy's Avatar
    I second the Tahoe option. Just got back from there myself. Easy in/out through Reno airport with plenty of flight options, and then a 30-45 minute drive and you are slopeside. If gambling isn&#39;t your thing, skip overrun South Lake Tahoe and Heavenly. Northstar in Truckee has just been totally renovated and is a showcase resort, including a **** Carlton Hotel. Your are also 30 minutes from Squaw Valley to the west, or Diamond Peak and Mount Rose to the east. You can easily fly in in the morning, ski afternoon at half day fare, all the next, and return the 3rd. You can get another day of skiing on the 3rd if you are willing to arrive back in Austin at midnight.
    Tip: avoid flying Southwest in/out of Reno. They are always overbooked and the terminal they use with another carrier is always jam packed. US Air is just as cheap and much easier through security and no crowd.
    Tip2: Rent a four-wheel drive vehicle. If not 4WD, then stop at Les Schwab Tire Care 5 min from the airport rental terminal, and grab a set of chains. For 35 bucks, you&#39;ll be glad you had them when chain-controls go into affect. With Les Schwab, if you don&#39;t use the chains, you can return them for a refund. If you do use them, its the best $35 you spent on the trip.
    Let go of my ears, I know what I am doing!

Retired Administrator
    mstrdragon ==> can&#39;t help but note we were in the same area during the Olympics. I was stationed @ PAFB with a Pararescue Detachment and we covered the Olympics from there.

And yes - it is a fact:

And for "tcreative2" ==> its not like that all the time as you may know, because ironically they had to make snow for the Olympics that year. Do hope you had time for a great meal in Peru (restaurant with an "apple" name perhaps??).

Spacemtn ==> might I suggest Copper Mountain as a great alternative (champagne taste on a beer budget)???

Registered Female (Not Verified)
    Lake Tahoe is really nice I have been there! I have to go with them on this get away and its not that far from Vegas.

Goodluck on your decision
    Anyone want to play TOMORROW (Friday)???

LETS PLAY SOON