Thread: Advice on 25,000 BTU unit

Verified Companion Companion Katetx's Avatar

Advice on 25,000 BTU unit

I have a 25,0000 BTU unit in a building and it keeps freezing up. It freezes up on fan and ac???
    Kisses, Kate😽😽😽

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    What causes an air conditioner to freeze?

Several issues could be causing the problem. Here are the most probable:

Low refrigerant levels: Whether you have a leak or the refrigerant was charged incorrectly during installation, low refrigerant levels can make the evaporator coil too cold. Call an HVAC professional to fix the leak and recharge the system according to the manufacturer’s directions.
    Dirty air filter: This is one primary culprit of low airflow, not to mention added stress on the compressor and other A/C components. Low airflow delivers less air to the evaporator coil for cooling. A sufficient flow of hot, humid air is an important aspect of preventing the coil from freezing. Clean the filter monthly to prevent this from being what causes an air conditioner to freeze.
    Closed supply registers: Shutting supply registers in unoccupied rooms is a technique for saving money and energy. However, if you close too many, it could end up costing you more if the air conditioner freezes up. Make sure no more than a quarter of your home’s supply registers are closed to prevent freezing.
    Insufficient fan speed: The fan must blow fast enough to keep the proper amount of air blowing over the evaporator coil. A technician can increase the fan speed and do away with what causes an air conditioner to freeze.
    Thermostat problems: The air conditioner may run all night when it’s not necessary to do so. This wastes energy and money while possibly causing your air conditioner to freeze. Have the thermostat checked out to solve the issue.
    Drainage problems: When hot, humid air blows across the evaporator coil, the coil removes heat as well as moisture from the air. In humid climates such as Georgia, a lot of water vapor is turned into condensation within the air conditioner. Under normal circumstances, the water drips into a pan and out a floor drain. If something blocks the drain, the backed-up water freezes all the way back to the evaporator coil. Then, the ice blocks the drain and exacerbates the problem. Check and clear the drainpipe weekly during the hottest parts of the summer. You should see water dripping into the pan and exiting through the floor drain.

Verified Hobbyist BCD DocHoliday's Avatar
    In a secret, heavliy defended, underground lair somewhere in the OH2 Badlands
    An excellent explanation Sir. Bravo!!
    Newbie members friendly. Troll inhospitable & I have an ever growing troll ignore list!!!
    I’m your Huckleberry and this hobby is just my game. Ladies, just say when!! #Pussy Posse founding member
    If you’re BSC, probably BSC, a drama Queen/King, WK or troll, DON’T PM me or post in my threads
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    Email for issues is support@ourhome2.net The verification process is HERE The review gremlin patch is HERE

Not hobby related.

Moved to the proper forum.
    "Don't come here and grumble about going too fast. Get the hell out of the race car if you've got feathers on your legs or butt. Put a kerosene rag around your ankles so the ants won't climb up there and eat that candy ass."

Dale Earnhardt

9/11 Memorial

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    Summation of Canali explaination: Restriction in air flow or low on freon.

Collary: The system can be missmatched and flooding the coil with freon.

If system is leaking freon, you will be LUCKY if you can *REPAIR* it. If a rusted Evaporator coil, will have to replace since you can't fix rust.

Shutting registers does not save $$$. Most systems are not variable speed. Hence, they are on or off. Nothing between. And since these systems are sized to a square footage of living area, they can't changed the volume of conditioned air. So, closing a register does nothing in saving money. Forcing airflow from a room with excess to one that is lacking, maybe. Saving money, no.

I have never seen clog drain lines contribute to freezing of coils.
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I seem to leak a lot of cool air into the attic/crawlspace. I'm not sure if that's a problem, a necessity or just cool are getting trapped somehow. I have a lot of solar panels so my bill stays very low regardless but sometimes the concern about efficiency still bugs me.

Not trying to hijack the thread, just happy to have the chance to BS about some man stuff. Lol.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    It's a problem if the water in the attic air condenses from the leaks in your ducts and causes damage to the sheet rock.
    Seeing that you don't mind the drop in your cooling efficiency, you can leave it at that.
    But if you want to correct it, you need to find what is breaching the integrity of your ducts.
    If it is caused by rodent damage: GET AN EXTERMINATOR IMMMEDIATELY.
    By people from going in attic and damaging the ducts or causing them to separate: repair.
    If the duct joints are leaking: can tape and staple them up and apply Air Lock to them.
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I guess I'll crawl around up there with some tape before it gets too hot then. Home inspection didn't seem to find an issue last year but I'll take a look. I keep an exterminator on contract as I despise all non-humans attempting to enter my space, Lol.

Good lookin' out PB, thanks.