Thread: Getting on from abroad + acquiring a foreign IP

Verified Hobbyist BCD KosherCowboy's Avatar

Question Getting on from abroad + acquiring a foreign IP

Currently staff has foreign IP's blocked so can't log on from abroad specifically Germany where I go monthly. I missed some PMs over time from guys who were there and didn't find out until I got back stateside and missed meeting up.
    Is there anyway without breaking site rules (can always ask for permission from CK or GFE; maybe I'll get an exemption ) of getting a IP address in the USA that I can travel with so the site thinks I am in the USA not Germany? I am an invalid and a moron when it comes to tech stuff.

And likewise, I need to get on to a German site and they block foreign IPs too; is there anyway I can get a German IP so I can log in from the USA and post and use their PM system. It is run on Vbulletin as well.

And to make a long story short I want to get an IP that will make it appear to the site that I am living in Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen, Essen, Frankfurt; Offenbach, Stuttgart, Cologne or Bonn. Any place within a 250-300 km distance from FFMain is needed and will work.

CK, GFE ; If I send the IP address of the hotel I am at can it be added manually? The Internet log on pages of my hotels I stay at show the Hotel IP

Danke!

Retired Companion

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by KosherCowboy View Post
    Currently staff has foreign IP's blocked so can't log on from abroad specifically Germany where I go monthly. I missed some PMs over time from guys who were there and didn't find out until I got back stateside and missed meeting up.
    Is there anyway without breaking site rules (can always ask for permission from CK or GFE; maybe I'll get an exemption ) of getting a IP address in the USA that I can travel with so the site thinks I am in the USA not Germany? I am an invalid and a moron when it comes to tech stuff.

And likewise, I need to get on to a German site and they block foreign IPs too; is there anyway I can get a German IP so I can log in from the USA and post and use their PM system. It is run on Vbulletin as well.

And to make a long story short I want to get an IP that will make it appear to the site that I am living in Dortmund, Gelsenkirchen, Essen, Frankfurt; Offenbach, Stuttgart, Cologne or Bonn. Any place within a 250-300 km distance from FFMain is needed and will work.

CK, GFE ; If I send the IP address of the hotel I am at can it be added manually? The Internet log on pages of my hotels I stay at show the Hotel IP

Danke!

you can't like 'get' an IP, but you can change your IP using a VPN or Proxy server

you can change your IP address to one in the USA via VPN and connecting to a USA server,
    and you would again use a VPN for the German site and connect to a server in Germany...
    you can even choose different cities to connect from like Frankfurt, Hamburg, etc.

Some VPNs can bypass OH2's firewall hehe x

^^ +1 to Phoenix above. Good advice. I'm quite impressed

Kosher, you will want to use a VPN service such as:
    ProtonVPN
    HideMyAss
    HideMeVPN
    NordVPN

Using services like these as opposed to running your own VPN server from your router, NAS device, etc gives you many advantages. A popular one if you want to run your own VPN is OpenVPN.

I don't advise anyone except experts to use that software and even then for your purposes the services are much better.

The main reason is that you can choose which country you want to come from at any particular time with various VPN connect points all across the globe. Many are free but with laid versions you get far more connection points.

If you want an extra layer of security you should also use TOR/Onion:http://www.torproject.org

Yes, not all IPs, VPN connect points, or TOR nodes are blocked by OH2, like Phoenixx said.

You just have to experiment. I would highly advise using a VPN on top of TOR or use one of the VPN services that allow you to connect to TOR nodes. This will truly anonymize you.

VPNs make it look like you have a different IP, and they encrypt the traffic, but finding your location, what you search/browse, etc can still be obtained. With a TOR node it's virtually impossible.

-mg