Thread: A new football league

Verified Hobbyist BCD KosherCowboy's Avatar
    http://www.comcast.net/articles/sports-gen...310/Balzer.UFL/

Ok, will this league ' make it' or will they end up winning $1.00 in a lawsuit one day against the NFL? Or perhaps they will be ' porked' and Obama will earmark a few billion for the league? There is a team in Pelosi's backyard, Reid's as well

Michael Vick? If he doesn't get re-instated to the NFL, maybe he plays here, as a convicted felon I don't think he has the option to play abroad ( CFL, etc.)

IMHO Vick deserves a chance to play. Yes, I am an animal lover, just got two cats and have had cats all my life ( like dogs too, just a lot of work) but on Sunday I turn on the TV to watch talent, many pro athletes have made mistakes.

Regardless, if he has the talent to play, let him play. Its easy to hate Vick, most do, but he can still toss the ball and run, its not like he can't get back in to shape and come mid- season some NFL team might need him after injuries etc. The NFL turned from ' Its all about football' to ' Its all about money' when Plan B came around and Washington snaked Wilbur Marshall from the Bears back in the 80's, since than its all about money. That being said, let Vick play. Sure, no parents will let their kids buy his jersey and PETA has said they will raise hell if Goodall lets him back but I say fuck them. They say they will form a human chain on the Capitol Beltway if the Skins sign him and other cities' groups have said similar things, nothing the cops can't handle with some plastic bracelets and a dozen wagons....

Everyone deserves a second chance, he did his time, let him back if he can play and wants to. If PETA doesn't like it let them protest, its the American way....and lock them up if they block the roads and break laws.

Eventually the NFL will have to answer to the players' union as well as the NAACP if they do not let Vick back, even on conditional terms...

Agree with you completely, KC. Vick is an incredible talent that served time for his crime (racketeering, not animal cruelty, btw). Let him play. If Ray Lewis and Pacman Jones can play, Vick should be allowed to play. Too bad we don't have the same regard for human life as we do for dog life.
    "It was a wedding ring, destined to be lost in a cheap motel, lost in the kitchen sink, or thrown in a wishing well." - Warm Wet Circles, on the album Clutching at Straws by Marillion.

The new league will not make it, at least they are starting small, I think I heard 4 teams, 6 games for the season, play each other twice. That's the exact format of the optimist league where I started my football career when I was 8 years old. I can't believe the Arena league finally bit the dust after what, like 20 years? I think the XFL started by Vince McMahon a few years ago could have succeeded had they done it the right way. Make it EXTREME football. Go back to 1950's NFL rules. Facemasking is okay! A ballcarrier isn't down until his forward progress is completely stopped, so late hits are necessary! Bring back the headslap! Absolutely NO roughing the QB penalties! Bump and run coverage all the way down the field! Wouldn't you just love to see some snotty receiver running for the ball then have some safety cut him half while he's looking the ball in? (Can you tell I used to be a defensive player?) I would watch football like that, bring some hitting back to the game. Oh yeah, and somewhat hobby related, they should have had stripper poles for their cheerleaders. Hell, make it NAKED cheerleaders! Put the games on cable as R-rated due to the violence and nudity!

I have no problem with Michael Vick playing football again. He served his time, now he's free. And, if he were in my Extreme football league, maybe some dog-loving defensive lineman could wrap a chain around his neck and yank him down by it.

I do hate posting near Muckman though since his avatar is buffer than mine!

Commissioner TGFBI

TGFBI - it's all about clean living. ^_^
    "It was a wedding ring, destined to be lost in a cheap motel, lost in the kitchen sink, or thrown in a wishing well." - Warm Wet Circles, on the album Clutching at Straws by Marillion.

Verified Hobbyist BCD geniusman's Avatar
    I don't really know much about this but half the players already are getting arrested or being suspended for drug abuse like Ricky Williams. Miami I heard wouldn't take RW back but that's where he is now.

The NFL shouldn't take Vick back but they probably will because organizations seem to skimp on or bend they own rules alot

Registered Male (Not Verified) atxbrad's Avatar
    I didnt read all of the replies so I may be redundant.

#1 After watching High School, College, Arena, & NFL there is just no more room for football in my life and I played college football, still try and eat sleep and breath football. There is just no more room for another league IMHO.

#2 Vicks infractions happened off the field and didnt involve football or his capacity to play the game. He will serve his time in prision. There are athletes out there right now that are beaking the law and involving the NFL and other players but they are still allowed to play the game. Same goes for MLB.

A typical week in October for me.

Monday Work 6a-7pm pick up son from football practice Monday Night Football
    Tues Work 6a-7pm Pick up son from football practice
    Wed Work 6a-5pm Watch Son's football game
    Thurs Work 6a-5pm Pick up son from football practice Watch Newphew JV game, get home Thurs ESPN college football
    Friday Work 6a-5pm Pick up son Watch older nephew Varsity game
    Sat Day off College football all damn day
    Sun Day off NFL All damn day..
    This is not including that I have to squeeze in daughter's Volley ball games in too.
    Now where in the hell am I supposed to squeeze in another football league.?
    There's 1 NFL, 1 NBA, 1 NBL, 1 PGA, Lets keep it that way!!!!

Boxing is a good example of too many chiefs.
    There the WBO, IBF, IBO, WBC, RingSide, ABC, XYZ, ETC...ETC...ETC..
    About 50 different champs in 20 different weight classes for each one
    Kinds of just dilutes the whole thing.
    And the wonder why boxing is on the demise to MMA...

But to keep on track with your post.
    Yes Vick should be allowed to compete for a position and earn a chance to play again.
    If he did his time, like any other convict, he has paid his debt.

And Absolutely NO FREAK'N WAY that another football league will make it.
    It ain't Easy Being Cheesy!