Thread: Daytime Hike

Verified Hobbyist BCD

Daytime Hike

So I am sure a few of you will think I am crazy, but I was wondering if anyone was interested in heading out on the weekends and hiking? Man, Woman, or beast. Places like Barton Creek, Turkey Creek, Brushy Creek, San Gabriel River trail, Walnut creek, etc. I am single and go most weekends solo and typically go for a few miles. Usually around 10AM for 2 hours, and then to lunch. To incentivise any women that might want to join I would cover your lunch(limit 2 ladies I am able to cover). Any guys that want to join I would ask that you chip in for lunch. And if its Barton Creek I always go to Terry Blacks BBQ after. I basically see the socials and things like this as advertising.

The next weekend I will be going out will be the 16th and 17th. I can always carpool if necessary. I am up North.

Verified Companion Companion CubanAva's Avatar
    I may not be available this weekend and you're gone the next but you can pencil me in for the one following that! Sounds like a good time.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Great! I will start messaging people next Wednesday to see if anyone has any preferences of where they want to go.

Balls! I'm out of town then, but always up for a hike! Although, "hike" is generous for these parts when you're used to mountains, lol.

Registered Male (Not Verified) DragonX's Avatar
    Hey that might be kinda fun!!!
    Just so we ain't going camping. (Brokeback Mountain ref.)
    Cheers
    DX
    On hobby hiatus.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I generally go 2 to 3 times a month so there is always an opportunity. It's just a matter of semi paved trails or not. If you are looking for a mountain I suggest Barton creek Hill of Life. Not for everyone.

Verified Companion Companion
    I'm interested! I can go on the weekend of the 16th and 17th.

Verified Companion Companion KellyDarlin's Avatar
    I'd love to go if still looking for people to join you? I can also offer a ride to and from.
    My # is 512.781.4483

☘️KellyDarlin

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    So, I have decided the destination for the next weekend. River place nature trail 8820 Big View Dr. Austin. This came about because 1. I have never been there, and 2 they are going to start charging $10 per person starting March 2nd. Gotta get in there while it's free!!! Apparently it's a lot of hills, and is 6 miles long.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Great choice redmoney! That trail gets good reviews. You're also right about the fee they are going to start charging. The folks in River Place voted that they didn't want outsiders in their community. This beast would love to join, but I won't rain on your party. You and the troop have lots of fun!

BTW, you can get nourishment afterwards at the Black Walnut Café which is near the entrance to River Place.

Verified Companion Companion britttany_love's Avatar
    I live in that area and It's a great trail! It is very long and some parts of the trail are very narrow and small so make sure you have good shoes.

Sounds like fun

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Well I had fun! One person had other commitments, one never responded, and the other wasn't feeling today's weather. So "here I go again on my own." No worries though. So It's 3 miles one way with an elevation change of 1,700 ft. It's a nice well maintained trail with a crystal clear creek running through it. Not worth $10 mind you, maybe $2. It took about an hour to go from one end to the other at a moderate pace and there were quite a few people on the trail. I definitely recommend starting at the bottom location where I started. There are a lot of steps and it is very steep at the other end so if you are tired by the end going up that would suck.
    Gonna do it again next weekend since it is still free for now. Make sure I fully enjoy everything on that trail.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Wish I could join, I broke my upper leg and too risky. I’m making slow progress and been 7 weeks since broke my femur bone right leg. Not a fun injury to have but hope my leg heals well