Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: your temporary(?) forum is now open.....

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Sisyphus @ Feb 12 2009, 08:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    WTF....my boy, my boy!! We are indeed proof that the bar has been set rather low. What&#39;s the old joke? I don&#39;t know that I wish to be seen with anyone who would associate with the likes of me...

Not much up at the moment. How &#39;bout you? Staying out of trouble?

Ansley, for ONCE... I ain&#39;t gonna take umbrage with him... :P[/b]
    umbrage with me?? Why sir Rhett Butler my great grand daddy would be proud!

Read the whole link for the history of the joke.....note at the end that ole honest Abe is even attributed with it. But Groucho Marxs was the man who made it famous.

In the remainder of his account, specific grievances Groucho had against the Friar&#39;s Club (alias "Delaney Club") come to light:

http://www.16-9.dk/2007-02/side11_inenglish.htm

"Some years ago, after considerable urging, I consented to join a prominent theatrical organization. By an odd coincidence, it was called the Delaney Club. Here, I thought, within these hallowed walls of Thespis, we would sit of an evening with our Napoleon brandies and long-stemmed pipes and discuss Chaucer, Charles Lamb, Ruskin, Voltaire, Booth, the Barrymores, Duse, Shakespeare, Bernhardt and all the other legendary figures of the theatre and literature. The first night I went there, I found thirty-two fellows playing gin rummy with marked cards, five members shooting loaded dice on a suspiciously bumpy carpet and four members in separate phone booths calling women who were other members&#39; wives.

A few nights later the club had a banquet. I don&#39;t clearly remember what the occasion was. I think it was to honor one of the members who had successfully managed to evade the police for over a year. The dining tables were long and narrow, and unless you arrived around three in the afternoon you had no control over who your dinner companion was going to be. That particular night I was sitting next to a barber who had cut me many times, both socially and with a razor. At one point he looked slowly around the room, then turned to me and said, "Groucho, we&#39;re certainly getting a lousy batch of new members!"

I chose to ignore this remark and tried talking to him about Chaucer, Ruskin and Shakespeare, but he had switched to denouncing electric razors as a death blow to the tonsorial arts, so I dried up and resumed drinking. The following morning I sent the club a wire stating", PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON&#39;T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.

Hey folks. . . glad we at least have this place to chat, but I sure miss ASPD. Nice avatar, there Ansley!
    There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.
    - Mark Twain

Click here to explore a few forbidden things!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTF @ Feb 13 2009, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    umbrage with me?? Why sir Rhett Butler my great grand daddy would be proud![/b]
    Easy, Stud... the whole "umbrage" thing was for our resident Atlanta belle. You & I hang our hats in H-town... where 4 out 5 doctors have NO IDEA as to what the hell either one of us is talking about ...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (WTF @ Feb 13 2009, 08:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Read the whole link for the history of the joke.....note at the end that ole honest Abe is even attributed with it. But Groucho Marxs was the man who made it famous.
    PLEASE ACCEPT MY RESIGNATION. I DON&#39;T WANT TO BELONG TO ANY CLUB THAT WILL ACCEPT ME AS A MEMBER.[/b]
    I knew Groucho lays claim to the "club" quote. Somebody else stole it as I stated for a comedy bit. My deadbeat brother copped the most interesting twist I&#39;ve heard in a while as he was contemplating a "5th chance" car loan...

"I don&#39;t know that I WANT to borrow money from anyone who would do business with ME..."

He&#39;s a moron but even a broken clock is right twice a day...
    I could just *kiss* your promiscuous mind

I don't keep a lot of secrets
    The ones I do will die with me
    It's not because I'm hiding something
    A trusted friend I try to be

Hobby Addict
    Wanted to say "Hey" or "Goodmorning" etc. Cheers

Verified Companion Companion Ansley Ayers's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (atlcomedy @ Feb 15 2009, 02:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Wanted to say "Hey" or "Goodmorning" etc. Cheers [/b]
    I see you learned the secret handshake.
    <span style="font-family:Comic Sans MS">~Ansley~</span>
    There is a fine line between having a good time and being a wanton slut. I know. My toe has been on that line.

Hobby Addict
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansley Ayers @ Feb 15 2009, 03:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I see you learned the secret handshake. [/b]
    you are so welcoming and sarcastic to "newbies"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (atlcomedy @ Feb 15 2009, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    you are so welcoming and sarcastic to "newbies" [/b]
    What, did you think new board, new attitude? Sorry not happening. :D
    There is a fine line between having a good time and being a wanton slut. I know. My toe has been on that line.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansley Ayers @ Feb 15 2009, 07:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What, did you think new board, new attitude? Sorry not happening. :D[/b]
    I wouldn&#39;t have you any other way...

Don&#39;t go changing, to try and please me
    You never let me down before
    Don&#39;t imagine you&#39;re too familiar
    And I don&#39;t see you anymore
    I wouldn&#39;t leave you in times of trouble
    We never could have come this far
    I took the good times, I&#39;ll take the bad times
    I&#39;ll take you just the way you are

;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Carl @ Feb 16 2009, 12:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I wouldn&#39;t have you any other way...

Don&#39;t go changing, to try and please me
    You never let me down before
    Don&#39;t imagine you&#39;re too familiar
    And I don&#39;t see you anymore
    I wouldn&#39;t leave you in times of trouble
    We never could have come this far
    I took the good times, I&#39;ll take the bad times
    I&#39;ll take you just the way you are

;)[/b]
    Aren&#39;t you a sweetheart. Glad to see you here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Ansley Ayers @ Feb 16 2009, 12:35 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Aren&#39;t you a sweetheart. Glad to see you here.[/b]
    With legs like those, you can be a sarcastic as you want, Ansley. It is as if they are the personification of your attitude:

Silky smooth, yet long and sharp. . . ::shudder::
    There is a charm about the forbidden that makes it unspeakably desirable.
    - Mark Twain

Click here to explore a few forbidden things!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2