The Salt Lick used to have (we're talking back in the early 90's) the juiciest chicken I have ever had anywhere. The dark meat was pink. I imagine they took it off the menu because consumers thought the meat was undercooked, which is was not. I realize that Texas barbecue should just be beef and sausage, but I did love that Salt Lick chicken. It's still pretty good, but not quite the same.

And the sauce at The Salt Lick is unique because it is mustard-based and not tomato-based. Tomato-based sauces are good too, but to me there is nothing quite like the sauce at The Salt Lick. The Salt Lick uses live oak wood. They use pecan shells, which adds a bit to the flavor, but I do wish they would use a bit more pecan.

The sides at The Salt Lick are basically terrible. I do admire that they don't drown their coleslaw with sugar and their potato salad with mayo and relish, but the coleslaw has about as much flavor as the grass in my back yard. The potato salad is German-style, which is OK if you are OK with German-style potato salad. It does help sooth the palate if you have overloaded with fat from a juicy slice of brisket.

Terry Blacks uses post oak, which produces an excellent flavor, especially in the brisket. I guess their rub and sauce also contribute, but TBH, my taste buds don't really detect subtle differences in rubs. Mostly, it's about the smoke, the basting, the temperature, and not over or under cooking.

The one time I had Franklins, it was a brisket to go, and I didn't think it was anything special. So I'm hesitant to waste three hours in line. Maybe some day.

I don't really eat sausage or ribs much. Most sausage is too greasy for me.

Remember the old Rudy's commercials? Worst barbecue in Texas? Featuring hot chicks filling their gas tanks with Rudy's sauce.