Thread: Please Vote - Didn't know this was on the Ballot

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I had no Idea this was on the ballot...

Proposition # 4 on the upcoming March 2, 2010 primary ballot reads as follows:

Proposition # 4 PUBLIC ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF GOD
    The use of the word “God”, prayers, and the Ten Commandments should be allowed at public gatherings and public educational institutions, as well as be permitted on government buildings and property.

This is a for or against answer.

This great nation was founded on the principles of "God, prayer, and the Ten Commandments". Whether we all follow them to the letter or not (hee hee) it is important that we don't let this be forgotten or taken from our daily lives. How ever you feel, it is important to vote and be heard!

Maxx ;)
    "It's all in how you treat the lady as to the response you get!!"

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maxx @ Feb 16 2010, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    This great nation was founded on the principles of "God, prayer, and the Ten Commandments".

Maxx ;)[/b]
    Max, although this will turn into a hot topic real easily, I beg to differ. Contrary to what Bill O&#39; says, not true.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (inchonjoe @ Feb 16 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Max, although this will turn into a hot topic real easily, I beg to differ. Contrary to what Bill O&#39; says, not true.[/b]
    Inchon,

That&#39;s the great thing about this nation ...... you have the right to vote against if you are so inclined.

Maxx ;)

Verified Hobbyist BCD Browneagle's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maxx @ Feb 16 2010, 08:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I had no Idea this was on the ballot...

Proposition # 4 on the upcoming March 2, 2010 primary ballot reads as follows:

Proposition # 4 PUBLIC ACKNOWLEDGEMENT OF GOD
    The use of the word “God”, prayers, and the Ten Commandments should be allowed at public gatherings and public educational institutions, as well as be permitted on government buildings and property.

This is a for or against answer.

This great nation was founded on the principles of "God, prayer, and the Ten Commandments". Whether we all follow them to the letter or not (hee hee) it is important that we don&#39;t let this be forgotten or taken from our daily lives. How ever you feel, it is important to vote and be heard!

Maxx ;)[/b]
    I am a protestant, but if this is to be allowed in at public gatherings how do we reconcile the fact that "God” and the "Ten Commandments" are not words found in all religious faiths?

The following article, although lengthy, is a very objective presentation which shows how a small group of people in the state of Texas continue to influence opinions about Church & State throughout the country.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/02/14/ma...exbooks-t.html

Doyen:
    (a) the senior member of a body or group.
    (b) a person considered to be knowledgeable or uniquely skilled as a result of
    long experience in some field of endeavor.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    This resolution is stupid: you are already free to pray anytime and anywhere. This resolution is an attempt for some to force their beliefs onto the rest of society. Voting for such resolutions is a vote AGAINST religious freedom!

Jesus warned about such public display:

Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men.

Matthew 6:6 But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    i think you&#39;re misinformed. this is a primary election for each party to select their candidates for the statewide election and each voter has to declare as a member of each party which probably leaves out a lot of independants. since it is not a general election there are no propositions on the ballot
    I&#39;m pretty sure it&#39;s deductable

Retired Administrator

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (dennisrn @ Feb 17 2010, 10:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div> Not that I want to defend this stuff, but he (max) is right. Not about the topic, of course. But when you go to the link Dennis provided, it isn&#39;t on the sample democratic ballot, but it IS on the Republican ballot.
    Of course, that confuses me. But it is there.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    The parties are free to put non-binding resolutions on the primary ballot.

They are more of a poll of the political views of the people voting in the primary and may influence the rethoric of the candidates in the general election.

Resolutions on the primary are simply party platform tools.

The general election ballot in November includes ammendments to the state constitution which are legally binding. Due to the way the Texas constitution was written many changes rrequire ammendment to the constitution. There have been 467 ammendments to the Texas constitution.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    That is a bit strange as to why it&#39;s only on the Republican ballot. Well, since I tend to vote this way I&#39;ll cast mine! ;)

Thanks TheMax9 for the clarification.