Quote: "Summer is normally a FAR higher demand time. That's not it at all. The problem is heaters (even central gas heaters have a blower unit & the blower is electric which requires about 2500-3500 'starting/surge' watts of power for each unit). Given the icing it has frozen critical infrastructure for electricity generation. Primarily wind farms."

I call some BS on the statement above - 1. nowhere closer to 2500-3000 startup for a gas furnace. I would say 600 Watts running - maybe 1000 startup. While the AC may use upward of 15Amps - the gas furnace may use 5-7Amps. How do I know - well - I have two furnaces running on a 15AMP circuit breaker right now connected to a generator - praying the gas generator keeps working to keep my kids warm.
2. while having non-winterized windmills is/was a problem - by far the most loss was due to traditional energy production capacity drop due to lack of winterization . How the heck do you lose part of the nuclear power plant?

Lack of regulation and any kind of standards - leave it to the producers to regulate themselves.