Thread: Just a question

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Verified Hobbyist BCD 1andonlyboardman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CVKatie View Post
    You even know a therapist is trained by the strokes they use? Was it effleurage or petrissage? What type of modalities? Lomi lomi? Swedish? Trigger point? Did they properly avoid endangerment zones? Do you even know where those are? Cause clearly after thirty years you know more than I do.

And also being licensed is a huge part of being legitimate if you are going to talk about the going rate in this country. We are talking about the going rate, but you guys keep spouting off where you can get cheap bottom of the basement prices. CHEAP BOTTOM OF THE BASEMENT RATES AT UNLICENSED FACILITIES ARE NOT INDUSTRY STANDARD.

I get emails in my inbox from TDLR about human trafficking in cosmetology and spa establishments and it is now law to put up postings in establishments and report whenever possible because trafficking is not just happening in the sex industry. People are being brought over from foreign countries and being forced to work in the spa/beauty industry. So NO, I ABSOLUTELY do NOT consider an unlicensed establishment to be industry standard and the prices paid and bottom of the basement cheap places with "employees" who cannot speak English should not factor into the average rates in the industry. This is not paying a fortune at high dollar "day spas". This is paying for an honest service at a licensed legitimate facility that properly pays it's employees.

Once again being able to obtain a massage at the lowest rate possible is NOT the average industry standard. We were not talking about how much you CAN get a massage for, we were talking about the average rate of a LEGITIMATE massage.

I would even bother to factor a bargain bottom basement rate from an illegitimate establishment.

And I love it when men try to tell me what is or isn't a good look for me, cause mansplaining and talking down to woman is obviously such a good look for you.
    I admit I don't know the difference between efflurage and pettrisage. It's easy enough to Google I suppose. I do know the difference in modalities. More importantly I know what works for me and where to get that. Knowing the terms is far less important than knowing whether a masseuse is giving me an effective massage and will be able to do so throughout the session. Yes, I can tell when they are making strokes that help them relax muscles that need relaxing during the massage. Are you saying you don't know what I'm talking about? If you don't then I might start to question your training.

The laws of supply and demand are laws for a reason, they are proven over time. I would argue that the difference between a spa experience at a day spa, resort or luxury hotel has more to do with the surroundings and peripherals than it does the massage itself. I could care less about the peripherals for the most part but do occasionally appreciate a glass of champagne, a hot tub and all the other formalities and niceties before and or after the massage but that is more a luxury to me than a necessity. I can see how some people go for that though. Especially the high brow women in River Oaks or Tanglewood. I typically seek out a top quality massage without all the luxuries though. The masseuse I prefer to see is clearly not being trafficked because her husband works the front desk. They both drive new cars and have been in the same location for at least 5 years. How do I know this? They both speak English well enough to have a conversation. They have other masseuses working for them that mostly give foot and chair massages although at least one has moved up to full body. I've seen her a couple of times out of time convenience to me and while she's learning she's not nearly as good as my regular. Have I looked for a license? Nope, don't care. Again, I get the kind of massage I am in the mood for and get it at a price that they apparently make a good living wage at and that doesn't empty my wallet.

Know how you can tell when someone is in over their head in a debate? They start nit picking linguistics and semantics...Just saying.

If you think that I've talked down to you in any way then you've obviously read what I've written with that expectation. I'm not responsible for how you choose to perceive something. I've been nothing but complimentary of you in the past for your clear reasoning and well thought out responses. I've been complimentary of the thought you've put into how you've designed your page on here. I wish more providers would follow your example. I have no bias against you whatsoever but I am telling you that these type of "You think I'm nothing more than...throw in your pejorative here" isn't a good look for you or anyone else. If you don't care what I have to say about that then you obviously don't care what others perceive about you on here. What that does is give me a perception of a lack of confidence and stability. I'm not saying you lack confidence or are unstable. I'm saying that's my perception and the perception, apparently, of at least one other gent who had you on their TDL.

Finally, we were actually talking about a provider falling asleep. The massage thing was tangential.

Good luck to you.

***Edit to add that I remembered Precinct 4 has a database on massage establishments and enforcement actions http://www.cd4.hctx.net/regulatory/r...ry_results.php.
    Concerning my favorite place. In 2015 they were found to be in violation of not having their license and all masseuses not being licensed but no citations or charges were written. The next inspection a few months ago found no violations at all. All masseuses had proper licenses and the establishment was properly licensed.
    Last edited by 1andonlyboardman; 08-03-2018 at 11:55 AM.