<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (GneissGuy @ Jan 4 2010, 02:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
$150/month hosting?

With the database size, post volume and number of members that ASPD has? With servers powerful enough to handle the volume? With customized software to handle the unique things like BCD access, review forms, automatic promotion of people who post reviews, review approval system, etc.?

Perhaps with a dedicated server controlled by the owners, not by a hosting company the way ASPD was? (I don&#39;t know if this is part of their current plans.) With appropriate legal advice?[/b]
I would say their biggest recurring cost will be bandwidth. Disk&#39;s are cheap, so the size of the DB should not cost them to much, but the bandwidth could be a killer. Most hosting has limits, they are generous at the base price, but once you reach that limit, the price skyrockets. I believe ISPs make their real money on the overages.

In order to handle it in a smart fashion, offloading the static files, like css, javascript, and even the uploaded images to something like Amazon&#39;s S3 would be a must, but this will elevate the upfront costs. I am not sure if they have a programmer who is willing to "donate" or get some sort of barter exchange for their time, but that can be a very expensive upfront cost as well.