Thread: VPN

Verified Hobbyist BCD Green Eyed Shy Guy's Avatar

VPN

I've decided to use one but don't understand exactly which one to get. There are free options but I have to click on it before I can search. Dont even know if I'm doing it right. What Im looking for is one that automatically runs every time I do anything. Just set it up and not ever have to worry if its on. I prefer a month to month plan so I don't have to pay for a year at a time. If someone can reccomend a good basic plan that will hide me it will be appreciated. I've also been using duckduckgo. Not sure if that even has value.
    Last edited by Green Eyed Shy Guy; 07-17-2021 at 12:33 PM.

Figuring It Out
    Typically you imitate the vpn connection before you start surfing the web and it’s quite easy. There are many options for an always-on vpn connection but they require an understanding of networks and routing.
    Best to avoid the free vpn services because we all know nothing is free.
    I did a lot of research before deciding on a vpn service and I decided on www.ivpn.net
    Last edited by backformore; 07-17-2021 at 01:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Verified Hobbyist BCD Green Eyed Shy Guy's Avatar
    Thanks. I went with Nord VPN. Its about $12 a month. I also set up the killswitch and for it to stay on unless I log off. Hopefully I can understand the other settings.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Eyed Shy Guy View Post
    Thanks. I went with Nord VPN. Its about $12 a month. I also set up the killswitch and for it to stay on unless I log off. Hopefully I can understand the other settings.
    I'm with them as well. From what I understand, they are the only VPN service based in a country (Panama, last I checked) not a part of a surveillance agreement with other nations (like Five Eyes that the USA is a part of). They claim "zero log" and have had multiple independent audits to verify...

https://www.tomsguide.com/features/n...n-you-trust-it
    I am here for discussion only, not solicitation of any services.

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    VPN is a good step, but it only protects you against certain threats.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Figuring It Out
    https://www.safetydetectives.com/best-vpns/

Scroll to the bottom where Detailed VPN Comparison Chart is and change the number of listings to "All"

fwiw I went with ivpn because I contacted the author of that website and asked him who he used and he responded with IVPN
    Last edited by backformore; 07-23-2021 at 12:53 PM. Reason: add more info

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Eyed Shy Guy View Post
    NordVPN is a good one to use.
    Short list of options you may want to configure:
    Killswitch - enable
    App killswitch - use it (add apps to kill should the connect fail, recommend adding web browsers, messaging services, etc.)
    CyberSec - OFF!
    Help us improve - OFF!
    Custom DNS - recommend using 1.1.1.1 or 1.0.0.1

Pro Tip - running it by default can have some drawbacks (sites or access blocked), and can require you to either find a working IP or drop the connection entirely. If its on a computer you use for daily activities (banking, shopping, etc.), may be better to run it as you need it. Just remember to only launch apps after connection, and close them before disconnecting. Plus the killswitch and app kill cover you in case you forget.

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    Protonmail Plus. Based in Switzerland, the toughest privacy laws on the planet. Servers in 80 + countries, you get to choose to bounce your connection through two countries. Also shows you realtime server load for every connection. Plus account gives you up to 5 email addresses and a personal URL. They just added Protondrive, so you can share files with other Protonmail users with end-to-end encryption. You can also put a "timer" on any email so it deletes off Protonmail servers at the time you set in 1 day increments.

I won't see a provider that has a Yahoo mail account (most hacked email servers on earth), and I'm pretty fussy if they use Gmail and / or Google Voice. I know Onlyfans makes a lot of $$$ for younger, web-savvy providers but I wonder how they explain making thousands of $$$ a year when OnlyFans sends a copy of their 10-99 Misc with their RW name, address, etc. on it to the IRS at the end of each year.

Protonmail Plus is not cheap, but it's interface is easy to use and you can actually ask questions to the staff running it.

It's your personal information flying around the internet. I like to keep mine private and protected.