Thread: Not hobby related, but question regarding how you treat food delivery drivers.

Verified Companion Companion

Not hobby related, but question regarding how you treat food delivery drivers.

How many of y’all make sure to tip food delivery drivers? How many won’t do so?

Why or why not?

Most places have a delivery fee, do you assume that goes to the drivers? Do you assume they make a decent wage, and feel that your tip won’t make or break them? Do you assume that all they do is deliver and they have no other responsibilities so they don’t deserve it?
    https://www.preferred411.com/P139268
    RETIRED as of January 2023.

I’m sorry to those asking for references but it’s been too long.

Retired Companion
    I tip them, and tip them well.

I was a bartender for many, many years so I imagine the service industry mentality will never leave me.

While we are on the subject, UBER and LYFT drivers should be tipped as well. I have several friends who drive for these companies and it's mind boggling how few actually tip them.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Ben Rhimene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TemptationTammie View Post

Why or why not?

Most places have a delivery fee, do you assume that goes to the drivers?
    I tip the pizza delivery guy/gal.

I do not use any other food delivery service as part of the experience for me is the ambience. If I just want the food I will pick it up myself.

There may be exceptions but for the most part the delivery fee goes to the compahy providing the delivery and NOT the delivery person. I hope people are aware of that when deciding.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rhimene View Post
    I tip the pizza delivery guy/gal.

There may be exceptions but for the most part the delivery fee goes to the compahy providing the delivery and NOT the delivery person. I hope people are aware of that when deciding.
    You would be surprised at how many feel that the delivery fee is a tip. But you are correct that it goes to the company and not the driver.
    Pizza delivery drivers can make $4.25-4.50 per hour from my experience. Most people assume they make a regular wage because of their help wanted ads claiming $12-15, but that depends on customers tipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Berry Skyes View Post
    I tip them, and tip them well.

I was a bartender for many, many years so I imagine the service industry mentality will never leave me.

While we are on the subject, UBER and LYFT drivers should be tipped as well. I have several friends who drive for these companies and it's mind boggling how few actually tip them.
    I agree because they are offering a service and most service providers, and in most industries they get well below minimum wage because the company feels that tips will make up for it. But that isn’t always the case.

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    I was a delivery driver back in the day. I always tip at least 20%. More during this pandemic.

Verified Hobbyist BCD DocHoliday's Avatar
    In a secret, heavliy defended, underground lair somewhere in the OH2 Badlands
    I don’t tip period because there are no food delivery services in the bunker complex area. You want to eat out...you got to drive to them and bring it back to your place yourself.
    Newbie members friendly. Troll inhospitable & I have an ever growing troll ignore list!!!
    I’m your Huckleberry and this hobby is just my game. Ladies, just say when!! #Pussy Posse founding member
    If you’re BSC, probably BSC, a drama Queen/King, WK or troll, DON’T PM me or post in my threads
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    Email for issues is support@ourhome2.net The verification process is HERE The review gremlin patch is HERE

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    No

Verified Hobbyist BCD Midniteluvher's Avatar
    I rarely use food delivery services because I have trust issues especially when it comes to food and would prefer for a minimal amount of people to come into contact with my food before it gets to me. The few times I have used these services I did tip the driver and wish I had not as my order was wrong or had various items missing.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Ben Rhimene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Midniteluvher View Post
    The few times I have used these services I did tip the driver and wish I had not as my order was wrong or had various items missing.
    That assumes the delivery person was the cause of the screw-up and not the restaurant. I believe the delivery people view their job as delivering the package from point A to point B. I have NEVER seen a delivery service perform a quality control check; they grab the bag and go. Another reason I avoid delivery services.

Verified Companion Companion The Water Company ~'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Midniteluvher View Post
    I rarely use food delivery services because I have trust issues especially when it comes to food and would prefer for a minimal amount of people to come into contact with my food before it gets to me. The few times I have used these services I did tip the driver and wish I had not as my order was wrong or had various items missing.
    same! and i don't blame you. i never order food delivery, ever!
    i only trust my own food preparations. but 'if' i ever did order food delivery i would tip well.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    The only food delivery I use is the local pizza places. I tip them well, but always in cash. I don't want to put it on a card and have them have to claim it.