Thread: Weather issues - help your neighbors and fellow Texans

Weather issues - help your neighbors and fellow Texans

Save the power grid & help your neighbors. Reduce or cutout usage of the following items:

-- Central Heater (no higher than 67-68 thermostat)
    -- No washing or drying clothes with machines if at all possible!
    --No space heaters (DO NOT USE)

--Do not use electric oven (IF POSSIBLE DO NOT USE)
    --Keep doors closed and used a draft blocker or tape to keep hot air inside
    --Keep fridges closed up except when necessary (fridges use huge amounts of wattage to start up but not just to sit there and run - only when they need to cool again)
    --Hair dryer
    --Microwave oven and toaster ovens sparingly as needed only

OPTIONAL READING - EDUCATIONAL - HOW THIS HAPPENED BEYOND JUST WIND FARMS

Some people have asked why if wind farms don't account for all the power loss (we've lost about 45Gigawatts total power production at peak) how did this happen?

You can read my comment (thread unfortunately got closed for entirely separate reason so I won't link it) which explains in basic terms how electricity production works. It's in the "I picked a bad time to visit Austin thread".

Why? Well, for one, even if it's not a wind farm, electric induction principles are all the same. Take a nuclear power plant for example.

How does a nuclear plant work? Same deal except the "nuclear" predecessor part of the equation. Neutrons collide into uranium atoms in a nuclear reactor causing fission of the atom. The fission process creates a LOT of energy which heats water & creates extremely high pressure steam that will spin turbines. The turbines, similar to my earlier explanation of "Faraday's Law" in the other thread will move a conductive coil rod inside a magnetic field to 'induce' an electric current which is deposited onto the power grid.

So, again, same deal: Turn a rod with a conductive coil wrapped around it inside a magnetic field = production of electrical current.

What is the problem then? I explained in the case of wind farms its b/c the mills can't spin due to freezing. In the case of nuclear plants there are other things that can go wrong. Nuclear plants also require massive cooling using flowing water. It's possible that broken mains, frozen lines, or other elements in the tower which are stuck/frozen essentially took the electricity generation offline at that facility.

The simple truth is we don't yet know *exactly* what caused some of the nuclear and coal facilities to go down. That is being investigated. It is something along these lines though. Generating electricity requires the movements of large turbines and coil rods in large magnetic fields. If you compromise the ability to move the turbine or coil, or compromise the ability to use free flowing water to cool a nuclear reactor (for example), or freeze the turbines, or various other elements, you can't product electricity at that facility.

One thing we can be certain of after this event, as well as the 2011 events, is that ERCOT has to consider an overhaul to the design of the grid that includes firm winterization of all electricity generating facilities.
    -MG

Verified Companion Companion AlexandraSand's Avatar
    Between Austin & San Antonio, San Marvelous incall
    You should add info about oil refineries and gasoline shortages next.

Your Gorgeous European Seductress
    San Marcos upscale incall with sexy atmosphere. Outcall - maybe- please ask.

1 hour Coffee date 500 2 hour Champagne adventure 900 Introduction and Full Body Sensual Massage L1 250/L2 300
    Pegging 1hr 500 Foot fetish friendly!

No review. Available to Generous Gentleman 45+
    https://preferred411.com/P282315
    Reviews here: https://eccie.net/showthread.php?t=2512141

Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraSand View Post
    You should add info about oil refineries and gasoline shortages next.

Hehe Alex
    -MG

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    Guess i'm one of the lucky ones. Haven't had power or water interrupted. But that damn boil notice that turned up today...
    Made sure to install a high efficiency AC unit. Went right ahead and got a furnace that is used up north. 95%+ efficient.
    Along with solar panels (don't know what they are doing and wish I could disconnect them from the grid when power goes down) sitting pretty well for now.
    Only hardship is I ain't gonna go to the store until well into next week.
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious_b View Post
    Guess i'm one of the lucky ones. Haven't had power or water interrupted. But that damn boil notice that turned up today...
    Made sure to install a high efficiency AC unit. Went right ahead and got a furnace that is used up north. 95%+ efficient.
    Along with solar panels (don't know what they are doing and wish I could disconnect them from the grid when power goes down) sitting pretty well for now.
    Only hardship is I ain't gonna go to the store until well into next week.
    I am legit envious. Next home I buy, I am weather-proofing it as much as I can, and not going to scrimp on the HVAC.
    I am here for discussion only, not solicitation of any services.

Verified Companion Companion AlexandraSand's Avatar
    Between Austin & San Antonio, San Marvelous incall
    Keeping warm is important. Great info, mathguy.

How about some more of important things to do:
    Get Life insurance.
    Get Last Will and Testament, or update existing one.
    Check on your bank account fees. There are lots of changes and much higher fees now will be charged by banks.According to my bank, fees are jumping from $3.50 monthly to $12-$45 monthly, starting February 20th, 2021.

Make sure you have rental insurance, or personal property insurance, that includes flood damage possibility. My friends are in apartment complex and in 3 buildings out of 7, fire suppression pipes broke and flooded everything. They have the cheapest rental insurance, with didn't include water damage and now, everything is lost. Difference, with water damage included, was only $20/year more - $120 vs $140.

Secure away and waterproof your office: computers, documents, art, memorabilia, bills.

I have emergency bag packed, ready, so I can dash out, if something bad happens. My windows are stapled with bed-sheets and blankets, everything unplugged, coffee is hot and internet is full of interesting and exiting things. Reading about Texas and gas/oil production, regulations and distribution rules. I don't like nuclear energy, but Japanese economy is thriving on it.
    Just my 0.02c
    Last edited by AlexandraSand; 02-18-2021 at 03:11 PM.
    Your Gorgeous European Seductress
    San Marcos upscale incall with sexy atmosphere. Outcall - maybe- please ask.

1 hour Coffee date 500 2 hour Champagne adventure 900 Introduction and Full Body Sensual Massage L1 250/L2 300
    Pegging 1hr 500 Foot fetish friendly!

No review. Available to Generous Gentleman 45+
    https://preferred411.com/P282315
    Reviews here: https://eccie.net/showthread.php?t=2512141

Verified Companion Companion Sue Nami's Avatar
    road report, I got brave and went to target and my incall apartment to check up on it. the roads are not too bad, the main roads are fine. the only bad spot i slid on was burleson under 71, solid ice. my apartment off oltorf has electricity and water with no leaks. I guess i will be working over there fri- sunday to make up for missing this week. the roads were in better shape that i thought they would be. burleson is very icy but the rest were good. target is out of all food but junk food and i got the last bag of dog food. heb has huge lines waiting to get in so i went to target instead. no lines at target but no food either. y'all stay safe and warm.

Busty, Sexy, Mature and into YOUR pleasure
    FBSM 140 Hh, 200 Hr / FETISH 160Hh, 240Hr

512-784-5951 sue_nami@protonmail.com
    Mon-Wed 10-7pm, Thrs 10-9pm, Fri-Sat 10-4pm (later by appt).
    off Sundays (maybe w/ advance notice)

I'm fully vaccinated, you be too.
    If you're anti-vax, we're not a good match!

due to new permitless carry law> NO GUNS ALLOWED
    READ THIS REVIEW> https://home.ourhome2.net/showthread...t=fucking+nami

Verified Companion Companion lovingcamela's Avatar
    Add buy a shovel to this list so you can shovel the fresh snow to create a path so you can walk out of your home safely. I live on a second floor of an apartment complex and none of my neighbors had a shovel. The maintenance staff could not be here to help and did not foresee how dangerous our entry ways and stairs became once the snow iced over. And don’t put your snow boots in the Goodwill bag thinking you will never need them again.

Still no heat or water over here. I do have power, but our heat is connected to our water.
    Southwest Austin Companion, High Quality FBSM
    FSBM 240/hr ~ Companion dates 400/hr
    Mommy Dates 500/hr
    512 Nine20 33Five9
    P313094 I have a NO review policy. NO EXPLICIT MESSAGES
    Artbycamela.net/wp~camelacamela@protonmail.com

Verified Companion Companion lovingcamela's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AlexandraSand View Post
    Keeping warm is important. Great info, mathguy.

How about some more of important things to do:
    Get Life insurance.
    Get Last Will and Testament, or update existing one.
    Check on your bank account fees. There are lots of changes and much higher fees now will be charged by banks.According to my bank, fees are jumping from $3.50 monthly to $12-$45 monthly, starting February 20th, 2021.

Make sure you have rental insurance, or personal property insurance, that includes flood damage possibility. My friends are in apartment complex and in 3 buildings out of 7, fire suppression pipes broke and flooded everything. They have the cheapest rental insurance, with didn't include water damage and now, everything is lost. Difference, with water damage included, was only $20/year more - $120 vs $140.

Secure away and waterproof your office: computers, documents, art, memorabilia, bills.

I have emergency bag packed, ready, so I can dash out, if something bad happens. My windows are stapled with bed-sheets and blankets, everything unplugged, coffee is hot and internet is full of interesting and exiting things. Reading about Texas and gas/oil production, regulations and distribution rules. I don't like nuclear energy, but Japanese economy is thriving on it.
    Just my 0.02c
    This is great advice.
    Southwest Austin Companion, High Quality FBSM
    FSBM 240/hr ~ Companion dates 400/hr
    Mommy Dates 500/hr
    512 Nine20 33Five9
    P313094 I have a NO review policy. NO EXPLICIT MESSAGES
    Artbycamela.net/wp~camelacamela@protonmail.com

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    No water since Wednesday, and collecting snow is over now.

I don't drink tap water and had a fair amount of drinking water on hand, but that will run out soon if I can't get some in a few days. It's really sad for people who have been without water longer or run out.

I'm tempted to book an appointment with someone with running water just to take a shower...

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lovingcamela View Post
    Add buy a shovel to this list so you can shovel the fresh snow to create a path so you can walk out of your home safely. I live on a second floor of an apartment complex and none of my neighbors had a shovel. The maintenance staff could not be here to help and did not foresee how dangerous our entry ways and stairs became once the snow iced over. And don’t put your snow boots in the Goodwill bag thinking you will never need them again.

Still no heat or water over here. I do have power, but our heat is connected to our water.
    Think I own the only snow shovel for miles around. Paid off by not having any ice form on the walks when snow formed to ice.
    Loved showing up the rest of the people. No one wanted to borrow it and I sure wasn't going to shovel someone else walk.
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry