Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: More Bad News on COVID

Quote Originally Posted by tomcat2 View Post
    In another thread in this same forum a hobbyist made the statement regarding COVID, "If you were in bed for 30 minutes, with someone that was infected [with the virus]. Your viral load would be much higher....than if you had a casual contact in a grocery store. Thus your symptoms would be more severe."

That came as a surprise to me, and I checked it out on google. This article seems to support what he's saying:
    https://www.medpagetoday.com/infecti.../covid19/88692

So if you catch a droplet of saliva from getting sneezed on in Krogers, you will get a milder case of the virus than if you DFK'd your favorite provider for an hour.

Sobering.
    This makes sense to me. Three members of my household got it. All of us had been cautious and routinely following the CDC guidelines regarding masks and social distancing out in public (while avoiding unnecessary trips).

We haven’t been in total isolation, however, so at least some of us got it. The symptoms all turned out to be mild, so maybe the masks, hand washing, etc., did help in that regard.
    OH2 and Eccie member since 2009. P411 since 2005. Anything before that just makes me sound old. Do not ask me what I paid. These chicks just dig me for my company.

Quote Originally Posted by Amontana View Post
    Lots of conspiracy theorists in this thread. "They are exaggerating the body count." just live life like nothing is happening. Good thing this bunch wasn't around during world war II. People rationed food, women manned factories, people bought war bonds and we went to war. This group just wants queso and pretending that things are normal instead of sacking up to solve the problem. You're winning. Congrats. There were another 2k "made up" dead people today, but you kept doing you. Brave. Nurses are helping treat another 100k made up cases. Keep living your best life though. It's all exaggerated. It takes so much courage to do whatever the fuck you feel like and get a margarita at a 50 percent capacity Tex mex restaurant. So much courage.
    Tell this family about your nonsense (this is *just* the UK too): Mom with terminal cancer 6mos to live turned away from chemo 3 times and told to prepare her family/kids for death - all due to stupid ass COVID cancellations

She's one of just 25K cancer deaths expected in Britain alone as a result of cancellations caused by COVID:

"Kimberley is one of thousands of Brits who have missed vital operations and medical treatment as a result of the Covid crisis after a government report predicted up to 25,000 deaths would have come in the first six months of the pandemic because of healthcare delays." [1]

If you really believe the idiocy that COVID isn't causing massive death in other areas you are really a fool beyond comprehension. This is just in the UK too. And that's just one type of cancer! There are loads of other conditions and issues! Starvation. Financial woes and the depression, suicides, education, socializing for kids, physical education, etc etc.....

The idea that we even can talk about COVID and have made it into a *thing* worthy of discussion is already laughably idiotic and stupid beyond words. Literally.

And, yes, those supposed national US 1800-2000ish COVID deaths are total BS. How is it that countries that didn't even lockdown, didn't invoke much of any policy changes, as well as many quite large countries (i.e. Russia, Germany, etc...) are not experiencing anything? Magic? Lol. Come the fuck on. Open your eyes. Think!

It's b/c they have simply given up, or stopped, trying to 'codify' every single PIC illness (pneumonia-like, influence-like, covid-like = PIC per CDC) as a goddamn COVID-19 death.

My mom very likely had COVID recently. She is 78. She has adult onset asthma and she has mild COPD. She had a severe temperature, 102.5 iirc, bad dry cough, also a little trouble breathing (though that part wasn't severe). It even worried me to be perfectly honest. It did. It really did. Simply due to her age and comorbid conditions and b/c, yes, it does in fact make certain people ill or even die (though the numbers in the US are ABSURDLY out of whack and complete horseshit b/c they are a combination of "PIC" illnesses per CDC). Guess what? Less than 20hrs later no fever, no cough, no breathing issue. She's fine. That was about 4wks ago.

My dad is mid 70s and has kidney issues (was born with one kidney) and not in the best health overall. Nothing has happened to him. Nothing. This is the first time I've mentioned largely b/c of stygma issues from idjits but fuck it idc now. Nothing happened to me either. Nothing to my kids. Nothing toy ex. Also, my ex has a daycare and a few kids in the past 10days or so had to stop coming in due to the flu (or OMG maybe it was COVID-19!!! ). Guess what? My kids are STILL fine. That's all anecdotal to be sure, I realize that, but it's just more pieces of evidence among mountains of solid data that I simply can't reconcile.

Good god man. It's a fucking cold! Yes, it affects some badly. It does. A friend of mine is on a German vaccine research team (one of them anyway). I'm also a scientist. I'm well aware of what it is and what it isn't.

The problem is that it isn't really doing what the news wants you to believe (not put in perspective to other things - not even close). If you want to know why that is (the news issue), yes, there is a theory there too, I can explain it but in a follow-up post b/c I don't want this one getting to be 20 pages long.

This is RIDICULOUS. Read the tens of thousands of scientists, including Nobel winners and preeminent scientists of the 20th century who adamantly support that this is the biggest farce in world medical history bar none.

Read it in the GBD. Read that list of scientists. Read it goddammit! Read the studies! Ugghh!

I can literally list hundreds and thousands of doctors, scientists, and various studies that support that this is totally bullshit and we are wreaking WAY MORE HAVOC by doing what we are doing now than any fucking coronavirus or rhinovirus will ever dream of causing.

Note: Your WW2 arguments were really really odd. A basic red herring or straw man argumentative attack. I doubt you know what those are or that you knew you were committing such errors. I mean before you Google it now of course; even then you don't stand a chance in hell of arguing that topic with me either. IJS.

PSS In my defense, yes, I was a bit of a pompous elitist just above. Sorry. It's b/c this is really starting to annoy me and how badly it's affecting the world when all we have to do is stop "making it an issue" and live life. So yea I took a cheap shot at the end. I admit it. My bad. Sorry.
    -MG

I know a couple in their 60's that got it. Their son in his 30 also got it.
    The father and son work together, they were mild cases, cough and fever.
    The mother didn't do so good. She was in the hospital almost a month.
    After she got out, she was on O2 for a while at home.
    No rhyme or reason as to why one got it worse than the others?
    I think age, immune system and health issues can make it worse for a person.
    My dads good friend was one if the first I knew personally, that died from it.
    He was in the hospital on a ventilator for almost 3 weeks before he died.
    He never recovered in the least little bit once he caught it.
    I prefer CLEAN, soft, clean, sexually aggressive, mature ladies. I like chocolate just as much as vanilla.

BANNED! FAILURE TO RESPECT COMMUNITY RULES!
    Germany didn't experience much of anything?

https://scnow.com/business/merkel-ur...2c00dd420.html

got it!

^ First off, that's not what I said. I didn't say X didn't have any problems. You can also find a headline about anything anywhere if you look enough b/c there are lots of scared people. That's the new's fault, social media, herd mentality, and namely about 3-4 scientists who should have their friggin heads lopped off for doing what they did so early ok and causing panic that got out of control - they killed lots of people and it's not COVID at all I'm talking about there.

-Also, yes, the flu season is really fucking things up around the world now b/c people are going nuts again getting all sorts of PIC illness confused.

However, the main point about that was and always has been the numbers (fatalities and codifying them specifically).
    -MG

Retired Companion

Exclamation

I would use caution when sourcing questionable
    outlets such as The Daily Mail, but....

COVID hasn’t stopped the mum from a major surgery
    scheduled for next week, and COVID also hasn’t stopped the
    mum from fundraising to seek alternative treatment in the USA

Quote Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
    There are loads of other conditions and issues! Starvation. Financial woes and the depression, suicides, education, socializing for kids, physical education, etc etc.....
    USA was having these issues before COVID...
    lockdown or not, this pandemic will
    continue to intensify these issues....

Read it in the GBD. Read that list of scientists. Read it goddammit! Read the studies! Ugghh!
    GBD would only cause further harm with its YOLO approach
    as it fails to address the following:
    - who should be protected or how they can be protected
    - it does not mention testing any people outside of
    nursing homes
    - it does not mention contract tracing
    - it does not mention wearing masks
    - it does not mention social distancing
    - it does not provide any information about how,
    for example, low-risk people can get infected
    without putting high-risk members of
    their household at risk of dying

GBD thinks opponents want to do straight up lockdown,
    yet lockdown is just one of the few methods that
    scientists recommend for the short term...

The idea that we even can talk about COVID and have made it into a *thing* worthy of discussion is already laughably idiotic and stupid beyond words. Literally.
    It’s both laughable and dangerous that people such as yourself
    have made the GBD into a thing just because a bunch of people
    with degrees from prestigious universities say it’s the solution

I’m no scientist, but common sense has me thinking,
    ”Looks can be deceiving,”when skimming thru the GBD....

Tons of people, both scientists and other professions or groups of people, agree with me and others like me.
    The three main scientists behind GBD have discussed the GBD on
    far-right radio programs that are notorious for featuring
    antisemites and Holocaust deniers
    , they have argued against
    the testing of the young and healthy for COVID
    and
    defend Sweden’s ‘herd immunity’ approach to this pandemic...

My audience is not your lot.

Your audience can be found here:
    r/LockdownSkepticism

All the Trumpian herd following idiots who only know how to be spoon fed news or political garbage
    You’re supporting a
    policy of the Trump administration
    though

The problem is that it isn't really doing what the news wants you to believe (not put in perspective to other things - not even close).
    but you sourced a ‘news’ story from The Daily Mail,
    a ghastly tabloid notorious for sensationalism o.o

I'm truly baffled at the irony.
    it’s ironic that folks will support a dangerous theory
    just because a bunch of scientists said it’s okay
    without researching to find out it’s funded by
    right-wing think tank, American Institute
    of Economic Research

I'll respond to each item in more detail when I can. This is just a response off the cuff.

Phoenixx you know I've always liked and respected you, but I do think the most dangerous thing here is the alignment of the concept of antilockdown with Trumpian (or typical right wing) politics. It seems like that's what you might have been doing (?). I've said before I don't partisan identify but most would consider me to be a very left wing liberal (given my current utter disdain for trump and the right wing establishment that's not off the mark).

I don't even like the term "anti-lockdown" all that much. I would prefer that some very early whistle blowersl scientists hadn't ever made this into a "thing" became so closely monitored and watched. Because it's really not that dangerous in the grand scheme and in perspective to other things. I agree with you about the Daily Mail to be perfectly honest (generally speaking, yes), but it's still an issue (and you can find plenty of very reputable sources), and I can't really post a preprint or any official peer reviewed studies (that hasn't worked so far in past attempts: either goes over most heads or it gets ignored because it's too long or too difficult).

The one thing I will follow up on when I have time tonight/tomorrow, is the GBD. It's not so much the GBD itself, yes, for these purposes here, it's also the list of scientists you mentioned. Yep. I 100% agree with you it's totally stupid that people agree based only on that data. Yet it IS what a large majority of people listen to unfortunately :/ It's what they do when they listen to the news, CNN, MSNBC, FOX, etc.... constantly.

The problem is the alternate scientific views (not just the GBD, any of them - I *still* haven't signed the GBD once again) are stifled and scientists get aligned with an absurd political ideology that they themselves can't stand (sort of like is happening to me at times where it gets confused that I'm aligned with a right wing agenda; which I utterly cannot stand).

Also, many of those things you mention that are considered "problems" with the GBD (i.e. if you wikipedia it or look in some other places) are not really truly issues and don't really matter all that much. I will touch on each one and explain why later on.
    -MG

Always searching for UTR redheads, hot chocolattes & my next cuppa purrfect java
    Even though this is not a hobby topic, and thus in Grandma's House,

there remain zero political discussion allowed even in this forum.

closed.
    LINK! oh2 current situation report

In these trying times, your patience and support are greatly appreciated. Stay safe out there!

= = = = =

Beating the review template gremlin! LINK

https://home.ourhome2.net/vb/showthr...e-Verification for hobbyists

IMPORTANT! LINK TO NOTICES

FAQ: OH2's RULES! A Quick Read

2024 Austin/San Antonio Meet & Greets
    Austin - Wednesday March 27
    San Antonio - April TBA

===> LINK: INVITATION RULES <===

Ladies, please note:
    --
    ck1942 doesn't vouch for hobbyists.
    -- "Verified hobbyist" is only a title; he should always be screened/vouched
    -- Very aware hobbyists always start a contact process by sending a PM before sending any texts!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3