Thread: New Hobbyist

Verified Hobbyist BCD MarcusAurelius's Avatar

New Hobbyist

Hello, all. I'm a relatively new hobbyist - I've seen a couple of providers previously, but was introduced to this website by a provider that I met earlier today. She suggested that I create a profile here, so here I am, fumbling and stumbling my way around.

Looking for info on finding providers who would welcome a new guy like me.

Also, as a new hobbyist, I'm looking for tips to follow: what or who should I be wary or cautious of, what are good practices to follow, anything that can help me get more familiar with this world.

Thank you, ladies and gents. All responses appreciated in advance.
    Last edited by MarcusAurelius; 07-05-2020 at 12:09 AM. Reason: Typo correction

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    If that's really your pic on your profile, I'd remove it. Another tip, never ever prepay.

Verified Hobbyist BCD MarcusAurelius's Avatar
    Pic removed. Thanks for the advice.

Verified Hobbyist BCD DocHoliday's Avatar
    In a secret, heavliy defended, underground lair somewhere in the OH2 Badlands
    Welcome aboard OH2 Bro.
    Newbie members friendly. Troll inhospitable & I have an ever growing troll ignore list!!!
    I’m your Huckleberry and this hobby is just my game. Ladies, just say when!! #Pussy Posse founding member
    If you’re BSC, probably BSC, a drama Queen/King, WK or troll, DON’T PM me or post in my threads
    Thanks for your cooperation.
    Email for issues is support@ourhome2.net The verification process is HERE The review gremlin patch is HERE

This Profile Has Been Retired
    Welcome!

Verified Hobbyist BCD Bald Bryan's Avatar
    Hey there, and welcome...I'm kinda new as well. I've been signed up for awhile, written a few amp reviews but only lately became more active, here's what I have to mention...

The search bar has been a good friend of mine. If I see a provider here online, and she strikes my interest, I search for her name and then you can find ads she's posted, replies she's posted and, most importantly, reviews. Unfortunately, as a nube, you can't see the private remarks that the reviewer posted. But you can still find valuable information listed in the template of the review and sometimes within the comments. It's my understanding that you have to be "verified" here in order to see the private comments and that's difficult to do. You need two verified providers here to vouch for you and then I've read in several places that your verification simply won't get processed. Still something you need to work towards though. This site is a great tool for research, most everything you'll want to know can be found by looking at the variety of posts.

As far as wanting to find a "newbie friendly" provider, just like above, you'll often find who is and who isn't through some research. Familiarize yourself with the "ISO" section, you'll see "newbie friendly" requests semi-regularly, you'll see who comments on those ISOs and figure out some of the providers who are willing to do an "alternative" screening. I went to p411 to get verified, they charge $99 for 6 months, but it'll hopefully save some time in the long run. Oh, and the provider you mentioned above could be a "reference" for you. You'll see "send me your references in your first text/pm" a lot.

There's also another website that you should sign up for. Not sure if it's cool to mention it here, but you'll see it mentioned, it's just five letters. In fact, there's a thread dedicated to that website in this very coed discussion area. Over there, you can get access to their private access areas by submitting a review, or you can simply pay for their access. You'll see familiar names of dudes and providers on both sites, but they are both very valuable when it comes to researching a provider. I think this site is better for independent providers and productive interaction with the providers while the other site is better for studio and amp providers. Also, the reviews on the other site, to me, is better for the reviews because of the premium access and the linear organization of the reviews.

Providers you should stay away from? Towards the bottom of the main area, there's a section called "alerts", check that out as it helps with the really big bright red flags. Little things and caution flags will just be peppered in throughout the reviews.

I'm sorry, did that go on too long? Basic point, if it's research you're looking for, you're in the right neighborhood, IMO...