Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Economy: Where are we now?

Economy: Where are we now?

I was watching this video about long term and short term debt cycles (as simple as it is, I am still trying to full comprehend, lol), and I think I can definitely recognize we are in a period of social unrest, but where do we stand as far the cycles go?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PHe0bXAIuk0

Also I have seen lots of commentary (elsewhere) regarding Buffet and the fact that he has not been buying stock since the crash, but rather selling. There are folks saying he must be predicting another crash. Others saying he has lost his touch. I feel like the latest upward swing we are seeing in the market is only fueled by short term optimism, and by folks not taking into account the pain we are going to see in the long haul. Am I wrong? Are we moving towards another crash?

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    If someone knew for sure, they'd be quite the person.

Truth is, we just have to watch for a few things:

1) covid rebound cases
    2) covid rebound cases reaction, in the event they spike. Do we shutdown again?
    3) covid rebound cases reaction, in the event we don't spike, do more things open?
    4) OPEC

It's fragile. Signs are pointing to a market up turn. The best advice I can give you is take some cash that you could literally set on fire, and not worry about it.

Then dollar cost average some basic ETFs and stocks every week or every two weeks, or every month. See how that goes.

Anyone that can tell you things are a definite is dead wrong. My entire profession is bullish the economy, and today was my largest single day earning this year. But even I'll tell you, managing the risk of that is extremely sensitive and I will not jump on the bandwagon yet.

I got extremely lucky with some of my stuff. Nothing more than that. But the market upturn on short term optimism is more just outright optimism. Not short term. It's a curve. People having a life today is sooner than expected from covid experts, that impacts June 8 yes but also July 8 differently and down to December 8. That means Billy Bob who thought he's going back in August 1, but now June 22. Has 6 weeks of earnings more; that changes energy demand, retail demand, etc. All curve.

My personal opinion--everything is overheated. shit will scale down here soon. And mellow it. The forward optimism is too rich.
    Last edited by pumpernickel; 06-08-2020 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Personal opinion

Quote Originally Posted by pumpernickel View Post
    If someone knew for sure, they'd be quite the person. I was looking at the phases in the video. I had to watch it a couple of times and I think we are in the deleveraging phase.

Truth is, we just have to watch for a few things:

1) covid rebound cases I am worried that many are acting like Covid is actually over after opening without waiting to see what the effects will be on the rise of cases.
    2) covid rebound cases reaction, in the event they spike. Do we shutdown again? How bad will it be if we have to shutdown again?
    3) covid rebound cases reaction, in the event we don't spike, do more things open?
    4) OPEC

It's fragile. Signs are pointing to a market up turn. The best advice I can give you is take some cash that you could literally set on fire, and not worry about it.

Then dollar cost average some basic ETFs and stocks every week or every two weeks, or every month. See how that goes. I wish I had done dollar cost averaging when the market crashed in March. I decided to just play on paper, and if I had gone ahead with my stock picks I would have done well.

Anyone that can tell you things are a definite is dead wrong. My entire profession is bullish the economy, and today was my largest single day earning this year. But even I'll tell you, managing the risk of that is extremely sensitive and I will not jump on the bandwagon yet.

I got extremely lucky with some of my stuff. Nothing more than that. But the market upturn on short term optimism is more just outright optimism. Not short term. It's a curve. People having a life today is sooner than expected from covid experts, that impacts June 8 yes but also July 8 differently and down to December 8. That means Billy Bob who thought he's going back in August 1, but now June 22. Has 6 weeks of earnings more; that changes energy demand, retail demand, etc. All curve.

My personal opinion--everything is overheated. shit will scale down here soon. And mellow it. The forward optimism is too rich. I believe the optimism is way to early. What is going to happen when everyone spends all their stimulus checks? Covid has not gone away, social distancing is still in effect, business have gone bankrupt and unemployment is still at crazy levels. This can't be good for the long term.
    I saw an article today that we actually officially hit the recession in February before Covid even hit, so if that is the case, there can't be a "V" shaped recovery if we were already headed to a recession anyway. I am wondering if that is why Buffet hasn't been buying, because he invests for the long run and this optimism is a short lived spike.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by chloevankatie View Post
    I saw an article today that we actually officially hit the recession in February before Covid even hit, so if that is the case, there can't be a "V" shaped recovery if we were already headed to a recession anyway. I am wondering if that is why Buffet hasn't been buying, because he invests for the long run and this optimism is a short lived spike.
    First, Warren isn't some God. I've worked under him, for a little over two years. I wouldn't believe everything he says or does. He's a very practical investor, but that's it. The Intelligent Investor is more or less his style.

In regards to your red stuff:
    1) kick out the phases. You can't label periods like that, you're making things follow an order..that's a technical trading style. No mo of that.
    2) I agree, I think people are acting like it's over but it's definitely not. I just don't think the second shutdown will be of any material. Businesses will fight it tooth and nail. The real risk is something growing from Covid, as in Covid is the derivative, and it manifests into something we have no control of. That may be surreal but that's the risk of covid. I don't think the second shutdown will be anything like the 1st.
    3) start now then.dca should be everyone's forte. Ok, $100 a month. Find a fractional share site, go in 50-60% SP, 10-20% dividend, 10-20% bond, up to 10% in micro doses of some very large cap stocks. Set it and forget it. Money you invest is money you can light on fire, and not worry about. At least 1 yr, you don't look at it besides depositing, investing and logging out.
    4) Im of the thinking everyone's spent their stimulus check, and done so in an inappropriate fashion. That catches up within 6 months, and how income equality widens. The rich will scoop up the shit the poor spent wrong on. Those bodies will be buried q4 2020-q2 2021. For sure, you'll see the real impact later.

First, Warren isn't some God. I've worked under him, for a little over two years. I wouldn't believe everything he says or does. He's a very practical investor, but that's it. The Intelligent Investor is more or less his style. I found a video where he discussed why he decided to sell, so I guess that mystery is solved. It wasn't a great reason, but still an explanation.

In regards to your red stuff:
    1) kick out the phases. You can't label periods like that, you're making things follow an order..that's a technical trading style. No mo of that. I was simply trying to get help understanding the long term and short term debt cycles that Dalio discussed in the video. I was hoping someone could help me understand it more. There was no trading or investing discussed in the video. I am assuming all of this money being handed out is eventually coming back to us in the form of taxes.
    2) I agree, I think people are acting like it's over but it's definitely not. I just don't think the second shutdown will be of any material. Businesses will fight it tooth and nail. The real risk is something growing from Covid, as in Covid is the derivative, and it manifests into something we have no control of. That may be surreal but that's the risk of covid. I don't think the second shutdown will be anything like the 1st. So you don't think a second shutdown would have the same impact as the first?
    3) start now then.dca should be everyone's forte. Ok, $100 a month. Find a fractional share site, go in 50-60% SP, 10-20% dividend, 10-20% bond, up to 10% in micro doses of some very large cap stocks. Set it and forget it. Money you invest is money you can light on fire, and not worry about. At least 1 yr, you don't look at it besides depositing, investing and logging out.
    4) Im of the thinking everyone's spent their stimulus check, and done so in an inappropriate fashion. That catches up within 6 months, and how income equality widens. The rich will scoop up the shit the poor spent wrong on. Those bodies will be buried q4 2020-q2 2021. For sure, you'll see the real impact later. I guess I am one of the few that still has mine, lol.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by chloevankatie View Post
    Warren did what any risk manager would do--sell, to avoid too much of a loss. Difference between him and Ackman, is Ackman sold to get short and buyback in. Warren sold to prevent more losses, but took the realized mtm hit. Nothing's realized until you hit sell or buy, nothing. Everything else is just paper and fluff limits. Unfortunately companies enforce that so traders obey.

These st & lt debt cycles are just things they come up with to rationalize their investment behavior. They categorize it after a strategy to give it significance. The truth is debt cycles will more or less adjusted to current interest rates, the tenure, and geopolitical risks. This cycle bullshit is like me coming up with a theory on why I spend for sex. Truth is I have more free time(can't predict when), horny, and disposable income. Can't figure out exactly when all three happen at once but there some math and logic to it. Call it a buffet and fasting cycle for me.

No, I don't think the second one does. It'd be too grave for the economic health and mental health of society. Way too much opposition. It'd have to take something extrinsic to covids symptoms for it to turn heads THEN pause the world. The travel and tourism economy is temporarily fucked.

Well good and bad. Save appropriately and spend appropriately, its what makes the world go round. I'm still bearish the economy, but mildly bullish travel. I'll get long airlines, hotels, some energy stocks and short the happy go Lucky's for the meantime. Always slightly padding fat to the core stack I run.

These st & lt debt cycles are just things they come up with to rationalize their investment behavior. They categorize it after a strategy to give it significance. The truth is debt cycles will more or less adjusted to current interest rates, the tenure, and geopolitical risks. This cycle bullshit is like me coming up with a theory on why I spend for sex. Truth is I have more free time(can't predict when), horny, and disposable income. Can't figure out exactly when all three happen at once but there some math and logic to it. Call it a buffet and fasting cycle for me.
    This is probably true. When doing research, I come across lots of old articles and videos that predict one thing or another, and of course, years later, those predictions did not happen. Dalio himself says he lost everything in the 80s when he made a huge prediction about the economy that did not come true. Hopefully he learned from that, as he is doing much better now. It won't stop me from trying to keep reading though, I like to learn as much as I can and see where folks have gone wrong as well as where folks have been right. History is fascinating and I have been reading about the changes that have affected the economy over time.

^^ Yep, both comments immediately above are dead on regarding economic predictions given by industry experts. IMO.

It's exactly like I said back at the beginning of the SARS-COV-2 & COVID-19 spectacle. And look what happened. Heh... smh. A bunch of nonsense predictions based on flimsy to horrible to 'absolutely zero' data.

In that regard it was worse b/c at least finance experts try to use solid and valid data as best they can. Still, it will never work for predicting certain economic conditions or outcomes. Statistical & historical eco analysis are helpful but you can't control the massive global "societal herd" mentality which affect market conditions simply on speculation. As a result you can't apply necessary future data and outcomes (or they could easily change) which end up being the result of those speculative behaviors, itself driven by numerous social media or market phenoms (case in point? COVID-19).
    -MG

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    And here we go

^ Yup Chloe and what's horrible about that unemployment rate is it didn't have to happen. Sigh.

I'm not certain (personally) yet about the ultimate economic impacts or if they are going to be that dire, but, yes, I agree the unemployment and immediate effects in the last few months have been horrible. My biggest issue is that it shouldn't have happened. :/
    -MG

And here we go
    PN was that a dig, or did you mean it like, "yea and this too", or maybe, "ok, here we go off to the races with some continued debating...". Not sure what you meant.
    -MG

It's a grim report. I don't know if it will be that dire either. He is stating some pretty sad facts though.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by mathguy View Post
    ^ Yup Chloe and what's horrible about that unemployment rate is it didn't have to happen. Sigh.

I'm not certain (personally) yet about the ultimate economic impacts or if they are going to be that dire, but, yes, I agree the unemployment and immediate effects in the last few months have been horrible. My biggest issue is that it shouldn't have happened. :/
    PN was that a dig, or did you mean it like, "yea and this too", or maybe, "ok, here we go off to the races with some continued debating...". Not sure what you meant.
    Nothing of that sort. I said here we go as in...here we go down stock market wise.

Eh August really isn't my worry Chloe. It's election time, jes Christmas. Q4-Q1 bodies will be buried. And before someone says 6 months only, no it's a ripple. Divorce rates, unplanned pregnancies, domestic abuse get higher, mental health gets worse. It's not pretty. The real impact on the economy isn't there yet.

We need people to go from being able to get by, to literally no liquidity. That'll shape up in some form of the curve by end of q3, as we get closer.

I thought he was merely unable to contain his joy when you joined thread.

Lol j/k :)

It seems the sudden optimism in the markets have died. Reality is setting in.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast