Thread: Protestors protest (good); Rioters riot (bad)

Protestors protest (good); Rioters riot (bad)

OK ... i just wrote a bunch of shit which may be one of those "paid for word count" posts so let me summarize here at the beginning and you need to read no further. do unto others as you would have them do unto you. within our small, select community, lets recognize each other. treat each other with civility, respect, and if you are like me ... affection. we cannot solve everything ... but we can create a sanctuary where it works the way it is supposed to work.

// catharsis mode on
    pretty simple and obvious. the only semi new thing here is the relatively recently acknowledged rights and protections afforded to legitimate protests. but i will not participate in legitimate protests, in part because i am not comfortable that the righteous goals will not be subverted. riots have more to do with the spirit of carnivalesque behavior than the objectives of legitimate protests. so, i stay away

to the point: people who have power tend to minimalize and brutalize people who don't have power. always has been that way. the good news is, as individuals .. and members of a community, we don't have to carry this with us. we don't have to see everything through this lens. we have to acknowledge the reality but we can resist and overcome the urge to react. as individuals, we can overcome.

if enough individuals overcome, it becomes the culture. good news is that this process works. i have seen it. i grew up in the 1950s and 1960s when lines were not simply more clearly drawn but were codified by the law. i see acceptance creeping into the culture as evidenced by commercials on TV and entertainment venues. elements of equality; races, sexes, religions, sexual orientation, are being codified into law.

no mistaking it. it is a sea change. but the issue of those with power brutalizing those without transcends some of the root cause and needs to be addressed and removed as a root cause, not as a cultural thing.

Americans are famous for trying to avoid paying taxes. such shirking of responsibility is praised and held out as a cultural good. maybe. but citizens need to accept shoddy healthcare, education, and civil institutions as a result (imo).

consider the police force. this (and teachers) always struck me as the last place to cut corners. good pay and benefits makes the pool from which officers are recruited larger. likely those doing the recruiting can select higher quality individuals. so lets spend money on their training and their culture.

does anyone remember mohammed noor? the black minneapolis police officer who shot and killed a white woman? police incompetence is something which needs to be weeded out and that costs money. part of this money has to be spent to inculcate the unit with the proper mission, behaviors, and values. a big part of this is, train the police to feel they are part of the community they serve. do not tolerate an "us" and "them" demarcation. we can do better
    A provider standing in the shadows once said: "I just can't do civvie sex. I'm too fucking spoiled!" (truth)

For ladies who can’t be bothered reading profiles: … old guy … long hair and full beard … not a stud muffin … not every woman’s dream … but polite ... very, very gfe, smooching, cuddling ... more smooching

Verified Hobbyist BCD KosherCowboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    OK ... i just wrote a bunch of shit which may be one of those "paid for word count" posts so let me summarize here at the beginning and you need to read no further. do unto others as you would have them do unto you. within our small, select community, lets recognize each other. treat each other with civility, respect, and if you are like me ... affection. we cannot solve everything ... but we can create a sanctuary where it works the way it is supposed to work.

does anyone remember mohammed noor? the black minneapolis police officer who shot and killed a white woman? police incompetence is something which needs to be weeded out and that costs money. part of this money has to be spent to inculcate the unit with the proper mission, behaviors, and values. a big part of this is, train the police to feel they are part of the community they serve. do not tolerate an "us" and "them" demarcation. we can do better
    Excellent post. These protests and riots have continued for 5-6 days. Your words in the first paragraph brought back memories of another case of injustice and police brutality that also showed like your conclusion that better police training is needed. I think Americans were appalled at the verdicts of the police officers in the King case and some comparisons can be drawn from the comments of Mr. King which I believe were the words of Dr MLK as well to the comments of community leaders today from all walks of life and from all political and religious views and this community too can stand as one. We're all in this together. We are all Americans who believe in justice and the freedom of all.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2017/04/...still-matters/

Let us hope all Americans who continue to take to the streets that they do so regardless of who they are or what their views are that they do so in a civilized way with respect for others. No need to burn police stations, destroy small businesses, spray graffiti on the walls of restaurants and department stores and no need to toss firecrackers and rocks in to the ranks of the Police. All of this amidst a pandemic and these policeman and National Guard troops are putting themselves ( and their families) at risk as well. I think folks need to listen to leaders of the community starting w the Mayor of Minneapolis as well as the words of community leaders, religious leaders even the pleas of some protesters doing so in a polite and civil manner asking the rioters to cool it.

What I find very sad as well is that under the White House and the old State Department next store are massive bunkers to protect the leader of the free world, his ( or her) family as well as members of the government along w escape passages to a West Virginia compound designed to withstand a nuclear attack w provisions for government leaders to run the country for a year plus. There exists no reason that these bunkers needed to be used by the Secret Service to rush OUR President to safety due to a threat they saw on the streets. The very leader of the free world has to be rushed to safety due to the criminal element of the rioters which really distract from the purpose of these gatherings

justice for George Floyd; who died in a manner no human being should; at the hands of officers served to protect. May he rest in peace, may his family find peace and may those responsible for his unwarranted death be punished to the full extent of the law.

I hope for all us if tonight sees more gatherings that they are peaceful, that no one is hurt and that law enforcement and protesters can all get along just as the members here can.

no longer here; her choice
    at the closing galactic center, mocking the enemy & evil laughing
    Yeah there are American Billionaires who pay little to no taxes.
    The few thousand a regular person pays could go to paying a $300+ a month premium for good health care but can’t, bc taxes.

Have you seen our/other city budget pie chart?
    The majority goes to public safety already.

Yes we remember Mohammed Noor, the black Minneapolis police officer who killed a white woman
    (your timing bringing this up is incredible smh).

He was convicted and serving 12 years in prison.
    While a large number of white police officers who kill Black Americans are not.

this

"the police demonstrating alongside protesters in an ultimately peaceful event was not just a one-day phenomenon, but the continuation of years of efforts to bridge ties with residents since 2013"

https://abcnews.go.com/US/police-off...ry?id=70984369
    A provider standing in the shadows once said: "I just can't do civvie sex. I'm too fucking spoiled!" (truth)

For ladies who can’t be bothered reading profiles: … old guy … long hair and full beard … not a stud muffin … not every woman’s dream … but polite ... very, very gfe, smooching, cuddling ... more smooching

Quote Originally Posted by Ebony Jasmine Love View Post
    Yes we remember Mohammed Noor, the black Minneapolis police officer who killed a white woman
    (your timing bringing this up is incredible smh).

He was convicted and serving 12 years in prison.
    While a large number of white police officers who kill Black Americans
    are not.
    my point in bringing up noor is not an attempt to balance or shirk blame. rather, these officers were part of the same department. makes me think this department has issues. i should have made that point clear because one of the points of my post is ... ultimately ... you get what you pay for ... and we all pay for the police and other civil institutions

the violence against the black community is lopsided, historic, and institutionalized. you and i can go off line and discuss the macro issue. but my second point in the post is/was here we have an opportunity to deal with something we can control. how we, members of OH2, a small and focused community, treat each other. we don't have to carry the macro "stink" with us ... everywhere. maybe, in here, we can leave it at the door.

btw ... noor was convicted of murder in the third degree. the same charge as has been leveled at Chauvin.

Verified Hobbyist BCD KosherCowboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dodger View Post
    and we all pay for the police and other civil institutions

members of OH2, a small and focused community, treat each other. we don't have to carry the macro "stink" with us ... everywhere. maybe, in here, we can leave it at the door.

btw ... noor was convicted of murder in the third degree. the same charge as has been leveled at Chauvin.
    and we are all paying for the Police now to have to defend ourselves against criminal behavior by all kinds of folks ( many who do not even reside in the locales they are coming in to) as well as protecting those ( as we should) who choose to demonstrate politely. That's the American Way.

Yes, no reason the stink and insults need be in this discussion; the use of four letter words, name calling etc. do not advance the cause of unity be it in the ' micro' or ' macro'

and these 3 other officers need to be locked up, find the appropriate charges even if a lesser charge they can always levy more charges in the meantime those who were complicit will also be locked up.