Thread: ........................

Last edited by chloevankatie; 05-05-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Ben Rhimene's Avatar
    That hasn't been peer-reviewed so it doesn't really count, does it?

Last edited by chloevankatie; 05-05-2020 at 10:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by chloevankatie View Post
    What is going to suck is if it mutates and the vaccine they are currently working on ends up ineffective. :(
    You mean if mutation reaches levels like the annual flu or cell phone usage-wrecks, which both rank higher than COVID deaths in Houston?

Retired Hobbyist (RIP)
    .................................................. ................

Quote Originally Posted by The1Slayer View Post
    .................................................. ................
    WTF? This was hardly a controversial thread!

I didn't realize elipses was/were a fetish...MathGuy...why haven't you addressed this yet?!...

Retired Hobbyist (RIP)
    Lol.......... If you notice Ben......... I use elipses alllllll the time................... <---See

Quote Originally Posted by The1Slayer View Post
    Lol.......... If you notice Ben......... I use elipses alllllll the time................... <---See
    Slayer, we all know you have an elipsis fetish...

Quote Originally Posted by chloevankatie View Post
    What is going to suck is if it mutates and the vaccine they are currently working on ends up ineffective. :(

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Rhimene View Post
    You mean if mutation reaches levels like the annual flu or cell phone usage-wrecks, which both rank higher than COVID deaths in Houston?
    So unfortunately I can't see the original links after they were edited. Only the one where Ben quotes Chloe above. Therefore, I'm not entirely sure to what article or research study you were referring.

I wouldn't worry too much about mutation nullifying vaccines. It would need to be a significant mutation which is very rare. It's even more rare for something like the SARS-COV-2 virus as it has an overall mutation rate that is roughly 1/4 the speed and frequency of seasonal influenza.

Additionally, I don't put much hope into a vaccine. It will take time to create one & properly test in human trials.

We will reach herd immunity levels way before then. The only exception would be a vaccine or antiviral that was literally going to be available in the next 2-3mos at the most (unrealistic honestly; to do it safely).

Herd immunity is likely a lot closer than people realize too. Even once it reaches 40% infection/immunity it's going to drastically reduce case load/infection rates. It won't stop it no, but even 65-80% won't *stop* it. Why? Because there are still 20-35% who are susceptible. It just means it's much less likely for the virus to find someone where it can thrive, multiply, and pass on.

There is simply no way we can wait for a vaccine for life to go back to normal. No possible way. AND WE DO NOT NEED TO PEOPLE. A vaccine is just a dose of a dead or weakened virus tricking your body into doing what it needs to do anyway. It's not some "magic cure". Nope.

What should we do given the new study data coming out of MedRx and various preprint servers? Well, the data that we are getting now shows the virus in most people is in line with seasonal flu to a [+/- (2-4x)] factor. That's roughly .025%, or 1/5 as deadly as seasonal flu, up to .5%, or ~4x as deadly as seasonal flu.

Given that info and once it's all completely peer reviewed and conclusive we should do a "targeted social distancing program":

1. Everyone over 65, and anyone over 55 with at least 1 comorbidity of high risk stays home and/or has a special shopping hours program.

2. All schools open back up and continue normal functions.

3. Anyone in the age groups above in #1 who are unable to work (i.e those over 65 who still worked) get a stimulus to help them get near 100% of their normal pay. ONLY THOSE AGE GROUPS GET THIS BENEFIT.

4. Everyone else goes back to life as usual. Herd immunity will set in place soon enough with some communities showing already as high 30% infection rate and/or immunity.

5. Everything is open. Everyone goes back to work (or work from home if those are new practices certain companies are now accustomed to doing). No restrictions. Everything open.
    -MG

Always searching for UTR redheads, hot chocolattes & my next cuppa purrfect java
    closed by req of OP.
    LINK! oh2 current situation report

In these trying times, your patience and support are greatly appreciated. Stay safe out there!

= = = = =

Beating the review template gremlin! LINK

https://home.ourhome2.net/vb/showthr...e-Verification for hobbyists

IMPORTANT! LINK TO NOTICES

FAQ: OH2's RULES! A Quick Read

2024 Austin/San Antonio Meet & Greets
    Austin - Wednesday March 27
    San Antonio - April TBA

===> LINK: INVITATION RULES <===

Ladies, please note:
    --
    ck1942 doesn't vouch for hobbyists.
    -- "Verified hobbyist" is only a title; he should always be screened/vouched
    -- Very aware hobbyists always start a contact process by sending a PM before sending any texts!