Thread: Give me liberty or give me death!

Verified Hobbyist BCD Ben Rhimene's Avatar

Give me liberty or give me death!

Alright, perhaps a Patrick Henry quote is a tad extreme, but apparently the Midwest of all places is demonstrating against shelter orders.

https://news.yahoo.com/protests-draw...024328374.html

Looks like the Mid-South and Midwest have had enough. I get it, true winter conditions lead to cabin fever, etc. But if you look at the new JHU USA map and drill down you see other potential causes. Most of Ohio and Michigan are NOT impacted seriously by the disease, and yet they are treated the same as the metropolitan areas that are.

Texas isn't much different. H-town seems to be hit hard, but relative to other large US cities we have had it mild. Houston, Dallas, and Austin...the rest of the state is really clean.

I, for one, support flattening the curve. But now that we have accomplished that I feel we should try to re-start the economy. If we see a resurgence in cases we can re-institute quarantine but starting in early May once we have peaked I do not see the benefit of continued quarantine until facts, not fears, show otherwise.

I welcome your views as I am not a native. BUT, PLEASE, NO POLITICS. Policy comments/thoughts should be OK, but naming people or parties is NOT what OH2 stands for, do try to not fuck up rational debate by making it an us v them thread. Gracias.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Not sure how flat the curve is now. IMO, still relatively limited testing so alot of unknowns. Look at Singapore, they tightened down, recently started up again, and not too long afterwards a flare up in cases and now back in self isolation. Unfortunately, I doubt they'll be the only country to see this pattern. That said, I agree that we do need to slowly re-start the economy. Perhaps with small businesses with a few employees and customer traffic (eg in/out to shop relatively quickly and w/o high density of customers). Restaurants/bars/strip clubs (unfortunately) could follow later but likely a powder keg for the near future.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Ben Rhimene's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by R1966 View Post
    Not sure how flat the curve is now.
    That is a location by location answer. It was all about number of hospital beds and staff to care. NYC is screwed so they are pooling resources with Jersey, etc. I think Texas, and Houston, are fine. Keep elective surgery on hold for a few more months and bed space will be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by R1966 View Post
    Restaurants/bars/strip clubs (unfortunately) could follow later but likely a powder keg for the near future.
    White House guidelines that came out today mentioned restaurants with social distancing in place. Bars to stay closed. Not mentioned, but assume strip clubs SOL.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    WRT curve, I was referring specifically to Houston as this is the Houston forum. :-)

Personally, depending on location, I think it's a bit premature to open restaurants, even with social distancing.