Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The current conditions in Austin & creative ways you’ve managed.

The current conditions in Austin & creative ways you’ve managed.

As we all know, Austin isn’t Austin anymore. With the current avg salary of 68K per year, according to pay scale.com, and the high cost of living... how are you making it?!

What do you people do? I wanna know. I have a professional job, but it is very difficult to make an actual steady income over 40k and that’s with really hustling your ass off.

I found myself not being able to work a steady job for the next few months due to personal family issues. I just think to myself, if I didn’t have this as my side hustle, I’d be out on the street by now. And I’m not a lazy person.

I’m curious, how many side hustles do you guys have? Where in the world does one find a safe sane roommate(s) when you have kids?

Guys complain about rates and I can respect that, but I work and do this, don’t spend money and I’m barely making it as of late. Most of that is due to my limited schedule and personal obligations the next couple of months, but damn!

I’m considering going back to college for a different degree or moving further away if I don’t find a creative solution soon.

It’s sad when 60k-70k isn’t enough to live on! Smh.

Sooo, let’s hear your solutions to improving your quality of life in Austin, Texas with the living costs and traffic etc

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    Nikki, I consider myself to be very fortunate. I followed my parents’ expectations to attend college (when it was a LOT less expensive), and I chose a career that I enjoy and pays well. I took a midlife career change that backed me up, but I recovered. I was able to raise four children and allow my wife to be a stay at home mom. I am now near retirement.

I feel much sympathy for single parents. I know you have to work to support your family, and I know you must provide parental support at the same time. I tip my hat to women who can juggle those responsibilities, and still go back to school.

As for what solutions I might have to offer...not sure there is anything to do about Austin traffic. It’s sucked as long as I’ve known, going back to the 60s and 70s. To mitigate the high cost of housing, I bought a home out in the country near Dripping Springs. That afforded me a home at least three times bigger than what I could afford in Austin.

If you are able to go back to school, pursue a degree in a field or profession that you enjoy. If you take a job in a field just because it pays well, but you don’t enjoy it, you won’t be happy.

I wish you the best.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Verified Hobbyist BCD risn2theoccasion2's Avatar
    I fall into the average range for Austin. It is indeed difficult at times, but I live well and managed to provide for my needs, both necessities and recreational. It’s simple planning and budgeting, but unexpected expenses seem creep up a lot lately..

I’ve been thinking about finding a few select ladies and starting our own commune. LOL. Not for freebies mind you. Just pooling resources. I can cook, clean, grow a garden, and make a great surrogate father/grandfather while ladies work. Of course we would have to come up with a name for the place.
    Ask about any of my past encounters.

Rudeness is the weak persons imitation of strength. Eric Hoffer

Supporting selfish people is a waste of time and energy! They will always find an excuse to blame you for their own mistakes!
    ― Lily Amis

As you proceed through life, following your own path, birds will shit on you. Dont bother to brush it off. Getting a comedic view of your situation gives you spiritual distance. Having a sense of humor saves you.

Quote Originally Posted by risn2theoccasion2 View Post
    Of course we would have to come up with a name for the place.
    Hooterville!

Oh wait, that name was already taken.

46D396E7-E90E-4F2D-9FD2-4028E3323FC9.jpeg
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Retired Companion
    Nikki,

I lived in Austin since 1986. It's not the same city. My sister still lives here and her and her husband make over 6 figures a year and they cannot find a house to buy that is resonable.
    It's horrible. I moved to San Antonoio and bought a house that would sell in Austin for $600,000 and I paid half that in San Antonio. Also, the cost of living is cheaper down here. I mean food,clothes and just stopping at the 7'11 for junk food is less than Austin. I don't know how families with kids do it. I really feel for them. So the bottom line for me is if I wanted to become a homeowner I had to move out of the city. Plus the traffic in Austin is just mindnumbing.

Quote Originally Posted by NikkiFamme View Post
    As we all know, Austin isn’t Austin anymore. With the current avg salary of 68K per year, according to pay scale.com, and the high cost of living... how are you making it?!

What do you people do? I wanna know. I have a professional job, but it is very difficult to make an actual steady income over 40k and that’s with really hustling your ass off.

I found myself not being able to work a steady job for the next few months due to personal family issues. I just think to myself, if I didn’t have this as my side hustle, I’d be out on the street by now. And I’m not a lazy person.

I’m curious, how many side hustles do you guys have? Where in the world does one find a safe sane roommate(s) when you have kids?

Guys complain about rates and I can respect that, but I work and do this, don’t spend money and I’m barely making it as of late. Most of that is due to my limited schedule and personal obligations the next couple of months, but damn!

I’m considering going back to college for a different degree or moving further away if I don’t find a creative solution soon.

It’s sad when 60k-70k isn’t enough to live on! Smh.

Sooo, let’s hear your solutions to improving your quality of life in Austin, Texas with the living costs and traffic etc

Lord! I moved here in 1986. Rented a 3 Br, 2 Bath with garage for $400 a month, in Wells Branch. I had a great job in broadcasting and a beautiful provider as a girlfriend. Life was good, Austin was weird. I miss Leslie and the old Austin.
    Last edited by risn2theoccasion2; 02-23-2020 at 02:55 PM.

Supporting selfish people is a waste of time and energy! They will always find an excuse to blame you for their own mistakes!
    ― Lily Amis

As you proceed through life, following your own path, birds will shit on you. Dont bother to brush it off. Getting a comedic view of your situation gives you spiritual distance. Having a sense of humor saves you.

Retired Companion
    Right? I use to manage apartments in South Austin and Leslie was a regular visitor. He just cracked me up. He was a true original!

Hooverville? Nikki would fit in quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovinglifeinaustin View Post
    Hooterville!

Oh wait, that name was already taken.

46D396E7-E90E-4F2D-9FD2-4028E3323FC9.jpeg

― Lily Amis

Hooterville, Austin’s Only Hooger Hippie Commune!! Lol! Good stuff! I am very fortunate and have many blessings, so I don’t want to stir negativity. I just wonder what creative solutions others have come up with. I don’t cross the river between 2pm and 7pm, to alleviate traffic road rage. I started buying in bulk, do Hulu & Netflix instead of cable (it sux anyway) and other things to plan ahead. Pretty soon, I’m gonna be like one of those extreme coupon ladies!! Except, I’ll have a storage full of aaa batteries, lube, condoms and all things hobby related! I’ll hook y’all up!!

Quote Originally Posted by Austin Ellen View Post
    Right? I use to manage apartments in South Austin and Leslie was a regular visitor. He just cracked me up. He was a true original!
    Yes he was. He became a fine advocate for the homeless.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Verified Companion Companion AlexandraSand's Avatar
    Between Austin & San Antonio, San Marvelous incall
    BTW:
    March 8th is Leslies' day of departure. Right on International Women's day!
    My kids and I have given Leslie rides few times and I was always bringing him/Her all of my clothing and swimsuits.

I got tired of Austin. Kyle, San Marcos and New Braunfels are much better to live in now. Rent used to be the same as in Austin, but in the last 2 years so many apartments have been build, that I expect rent to drop big time!

I have given up on finding a good paying job and take this hobby as my main income. Counting my blessings.

I would love to become part of the commune! Where do I sign up??? When do we start? I am ready.
    Your Gorgeous European Seductress
    San Marcos upscale incall with sexy atmosphere. Outcall - maybe- please ask.

1 hour Coffee date 500 2 hour Champagne adventure 900 Introduction and Full Body Sensual Massage L1 250/L2 300
    Pegging 1hr 500 Foot fetish friendly!

No review. Available to Generous Gentleman 45+
    https://preferred411.com/P282315
    Reviews here: https://eccie.net/showthread.php?t=2512141

It seems to me that it's not just Austin. Today's economy makes it very difficult to find an actual living wage. If you move out of the city, wages drop exponentially and commutes take any money back that you would have saved with cheaper housing. I'm not sure that any degree would actually help these days as it seems to be more about who you know or how much money you can spend to make the right connections. I could be wrong, but I've had many careers in many different locales and so I have found it to be.

Management.
    220: "2econd 2 n0ne"

"Someday if you're lucky, you will wake up and realize you are old...your belly will go soft, your pretty ass will sag, your back will ache in the night; gray hairs will sprout from your ears. Make sure you fucked your fill before that day!"

Oberian Martell "The Red Viper"...Game of Thrones

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I'm thinking I may need to contribute to your college fund Nikki.

I have three intensive continuing education courses I’d love to take right now! Pm me! I’ll let ya know where to charge your Palladium Visa! ;)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast