Chapter 2
The Third Wheel

My wife suddenly said “have you noticed anything”? I was at a loss. She continued “Anything that I am not wearing or wearing?” I still had nothing. She said “Speculate” and stepped back so I could get a better look. I noticed the sexy stockings she was wearing. “Are you wearing the garter belt I bought you?” She laughed and said “Good guess, and it is just for you!” She saw some girl friends and went to chat with them. I watch her walk away. This was going to be a fun night. My cell phone rang, it was Sam. Oh NO came to mind.

I picked it up. He had been stood up by his girl for today. Not the first time. He was mad and had a good buzz going. He wanted to know what we were doing and if he could join us. I felt sorry for him and said sure, but told him I had no idea of how long we would be staying. He could make it in about 10 shakes of a lamb’s tail.

Sam was in his 30s. My wife had known him through work. He was married when they first met. Several years later he went through a bad divorce. His wife left him for another woman. My wife always liked stray dogs and lost puppies. Janice took him under her wing. That’s when she introduced me to Sam. My job was to help him through the rough times. Sam was a good guy and we became fast friends.

He was at a point now that he chased every skirt he saw. He liked the strip clubs. He was sure that they were all in love with him. He got his heart broken all the time. He would tell me his adventures with the vamps. But nothing was ever hooked. He was fishing in the wrong ponds and using the wrong lures for what he wanted. My wife and I were in our 40s. We felt like Sam was our adopted son. Janice headed my way with an empty glass.