Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Any other nerds in here besides me?

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Simply Ang View Post
    I think you’re referring to the anime Bleach, with Ichigo Kurasaki.

I could literally do a whole other post on anime. Psycho-Pass is only two seasons & is set in the future. Totally binged that.

On a side note, I absolutely loved how the MCU evolved in front of my eyes.
    BLEACH! That's it!
    Will look for Psycho-Pass. Just started Fleabag (thank god they are 1/2 hour episodes.)
    Frankly, the MCU doesn't do it for me. Indie comics like Sandman, probably.
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

Basic Hobbyist (unconfirmed) Richardtx's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    I think I would be remiss if I did not mention a movie that may or may not fit into the discussion:

Big Trouble in Little China. Great movie.
    You were the last person i would've thought to mention Big Trouble In Little China. LMAO!!
    I don't haggle.
    If you get 100% of your rate, then I expect 100% of your service.
    Tongue flicking is NOT DFK.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Precious_b View Post
    I've seen the commercials for Expanse and Altered Carbon but haven't heard any reviews for them that get my interest.
    The Expanse is one of my favorite active shows right now. If you're a fan of "hard" sci-fi this show is for you. It is set in an incredibly well developed universe, has great character building, and it tells an ambitious huge story. If any of you like to read sci-fi then I highly recommend the expanse books as well.

Altered Carbon is set in a sort of neo-noir cyberpunk future that is very reminiscent of Blade Runner. It tells a very compelling detective story within this universe complete with plenty of action and mystery.

I highly recommend both!

Quote Originally Posted by Secremorco View Post
    The Expanse is one of my favorite active shows right now. If you're a fan of "hard" sci-fi this show is for you. It is set in an incredibly well developed universe, has great character building, and it tells an ambitious huge story. If any of you like to read sci-fi then I highly recommend the expanse books as well.

Altered Carbon is set in a sort of neo-noir cyberpunk future that is very reminiscent of Blade Runner. It tells a very compelling detective story within this universe complete with plenty of action and mystery.

I highly recommend both!

Absolutely! Shows like these really capture my attention.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton View Post
    Big Trouble in Little China. Great movie.
    I second that, and would add another which “doesn’t belong” but of similar vein of the cheese comedy with no recognition, Hudson Hawk.

I’ve watched so many sci-fi series over the years but the entire stargated universe has yet to be mentioned above.... the movie, SG-1, Atlantis, Galaxy, Origins.

I own so many sci-fi/fantasy/near future series ... and then there are all the “related” genre stuff, with sci-fi mixed in... some of which were canceled before they ever really got a chance, some are fun, some are action, some are comedy, some are drama with sci-fi mixed in. Here is a list off my own collection that I can recommend if anyone is looking for something - and I’ll endeavor to omit only this already mentioned:

Warehouse 13, V the series- both the original and remake, sanctuary, pushing daisies, penny dreadful, misfits, minority report, Merlin, the Lost Room, Limitless, Librarians, Jekyll, Into the Badlands, Hyperdrive, Haven, Happy, Farscape, Eureka, Dresden Files, Dominion, Dirk Gently, Dark Matter, Colony, Clone, Chuck, Andromeda, American Gods, Almost Human, Almighty Johnsons, 4400.

So that’s a list for anyone interested. Not all are everyone’s cup of tea, and not all are strictly sci-fi, but each has its own merits, and most are a bit nerdy.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Jack Burton's Avatar
    I loved Warehouse 13. It was silly fun to watch. I also enjoyed the Sci-Fi original Defiance. It has some issues, but I was surprised with what they allowed on that show.

I watched Picard and am not sure what I think. It is interesting, but the Next Gen actors are getting so old. Patrick Steward is almost 80 but he still does a good job.

I thought Picard was really good. Kind of has an Alita: Battle Angel feel to it.
    The one that most recently had me in awe is Stay trek Discovery when the bridge of the original Enterprise appeared, then Spock shaved, wore his blue shirt and sat at his station. Just cool AF!
    Right now I'm working on October Faction. It's ok. Hoping it picks up a little.
    Next up is The Expanse.
    I don't haggle.

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    A good list, but so many more to add: Fringe, the boys, the Orville, The 100, Legion, Travelers, The OA (Netflix sucks cancelling shows), Ragnarok, Dark and October Faction on Netflix, and so many more with so little time...……………… deadly class, doom patrol, The Umbrella Academy, 12 monkeys, sense 8, kiljoys, millennium, defiance, continuum, falling skies, counterpart, the XX files, extant, ahh work calls...…………………………...

Quote Originally Posted by QQQQQ View Post
    A good list, but so many more to add: Fringe, the boys, the Orville, The 100, Legion, Travelers, The OA (Netflix sucks cancelling shows), Ragnarok, Dark and October Faction on Netflix, and so many more with so little time...……………… deadly class, doom patrol, The Umbrella Academy, 12 monkeys, sense 8, kiljoys, millennium, defiance, continuum, falling skies, counterpart, the XX files, extant, ahh work calls...…………………………...
    Way too many! But.....i did see
    October Faction...excellent
    The boys.....absolutely one of my favs
    Umbrella academy, started a little slow for me, but got Damn good.
    I tried watching the expanse....having trouble getting into it though. I'm gonna check out the other ones you named.
    I don't haggle.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Jack Burton's Avatar
    QQQQQ mentioned a couple I had forgot. Continuum was really good throughout the series. Falling Skies was good, especially since there was not much competition on at the time. It was canceled before they could finish the story though. I am not sure I liked where it was going, though. The Boys was great. I hope they can keep it up for the next season.
    I loved the book The Martian but couldn’t get into the movie. I love The Hitchhiker’s Guide books; hated the movie.
    Simple fun, very light reading is Bill the Galactic Hero.
    Just remember what ol’ Jack Burton does when the earth quakes, and the poison arrows fall from the sky, and the pillars of Heaven shake. Yeah, Jack Burton just looks that big ol’ storm right square in the eye and he says, “Give me your best shot, pal. I can take it."

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    Richard, I agree with you about the number of suggestions.
    Covers the whole gauntlet of serious to funny sci-fi.
    I like some of the older, dated movies (Andromeda Strain.) Really want to check out Fringe when I heard Leonard Nimoy was in it. And The Boys was a hoot. I don't know if you can call the latter sci-fi, but still funny.
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

What about Pans Labyrinth?
    I thought the movie was excellent.
    It falls more under fantasy, but still satisfies my sci-fi need.

The Matrix movies will always be one of my favs too. Part 4 in the works. Hell yeah!
    I don't haggle.

I don't haggle.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2