Thread: Anyone a tech expert?

Verified Hobbyist BCD

Anyone a tech expert?

This is going to be a little ambiguous, but I’ll relate what I can... Saw a nice lady last night, before our session I got a message that she couldn’t see me... and I asked back, she had not sent the message... so went and met and had a nice time. Nearing the end of our session her Android phone started making some unusual noises. She couldn’t figure out what was going on with it.

A few minutes later I started getting text messages on my phone that were threats etc.

My best guess is that her phone has been compromised, and the person has access to her text messages (and therefore my number, and others) and passwords stored on the phone. I say passwords, as I sent her a message here to say thanks, and I got a reply earlier today making similar threats.

Without naming names (if she sees this she can identify herself if she chooses to), does anyone have any suggestions of how to track / prevent this hacker from further interference in her life?

Given the nature of the hobby it’s not like she can just go to law enforcement regarding this, so in doing a little research my best guess is that she can wipe / restore the phone, and change her passwords... but beyond that how to track down the troll seems like the only way to prevent this in the future.

Thoughts / suggestions?

BANNED - failure to respect community rules-- again!

Lightbulb When in doubt reboot...

Reach out to my cousin Billy G.

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    I'd have them manually back up any photos, contacts or personal documents on there, and then do a factory reset of the phone, re-downloading the apps from the app store or having them side loaded via *.apk files. If its a carrier "feature" this will not take care of the issue. but if it's an app with to many permissions forwarding info, it will obviously kill it. Since the cause isn't known, can't really say that an anti-virus/trojan would fix the problem. When you can't tell the issue, nuke the device clean and start at square one. It's a bit annoying, but the safest course outside of buying a new device.