Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cedar Fever

Retired Companion

Cedar Fever

Anybody else have it? I get it every freakin year. And if you do have it - any tips on how to stay sane whilst coughing your head off? I've been using local honey that I got from the overpriced Whole Foods store. It tastes good but that's about it.
    One thing that has made it easier this year is Amazon. I love,love,love Amazon. They are lifesavors. They delivered my groceries right to my front door. They delivered all my stuff from Target so I didn't have to go out in the night air. Back in the day, I had to try and get dressed, go out in the cold night air, deal with other sick shoppers, and stand in line coughing and sniffling. Now I can cough and sniffle in the privacy of my own home without subjecting others to my miserie and I don't get subjected to their whatever. Thank you Jesus. Now that's progress.

Verified Hobbyist BCD Lovinglifeinaustin's Avatar
    I thought you lived in San Antonio now. San Antonio doesn’t have cedar fever does it?

My wife and I are in Houston. But there’s still some sort of allergens here during me nuts. Just can’t escape them.

Happy new year.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

Retired Companion
    Yes San Antonio has Cedar and my family is still in Austin. So I get a double whammy going back and forth. Good times. Lol

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I is a combination of Xyzal and musinex dm liquid as directed, and Dr. Stuart's throat tea with limited cal honey, from heb, it keeps it check along with cool most humidifier. Never had this problem till I moved here. 6 years ago

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    Or you can go to Austin allergy, it's not cheap. The other alternative is Arthur direct care, they did wonders for a friend of mine

Having lived there for over 45 years I can personally attest to the Mountain Cedar stuff in San Antonio. A couple of years back it was so bad you could easily see the yellow powder in the trees like snowfall.
    "Don't come here and grumble about going too fast. Get the hell out of the race car if you've got feathers on your legs or butt. Put a kerosene rag around your ankles so the ants won't climb up there and eat that candy ass."

Dale Earnhardt

9/11 Memorial

Verified Companion Companion Dakota123's Avatar
    The idea about honey is to build your immune system up and get it use to the pollen and stuff in the area... definitely not a quick fix. I have used "Airborne" for my daughter when she gets it really bad... but that is the same concept as the honey. Needs to be taken for a long period of time to build the wall of defense. But for a quick fix, we go directly to Mucinex or Nyquil to get some rest.
    Baytown. 146/330 ExxonMobil area
    OnlyFans - Deeemarie86
    Snapchat - Deeemarie86
    Twitter - Dakota123
    P411: P97864
    Click the highlighted word to be taken straight to my profiles :)

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    I wonder if you could get away with wearing a surgical mask or a dust mask when you're out, and if it would work. Maybe put on an orange vest and wear a hard hat so you look less conspicuous ;) .

I suspect the honey, vitamins, and other "immune booster" stuff is BS, other than actual immunotherapy (i.e. allergy shots.)

Especially be careful about homeopathy. "Holistic" or "natural" medicine might have some value, but homeopathic is 100% bullshit. Unfortunately, our scumbag Congress allows homeopathic quack products to be sold right alongside actual medicine with no warning lables.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Verified Companion Companion Ava In Austin's Avatar
    A lot of good advice for cedar fever. And, sorry to hear it has a hold of your allergies Ellen.

Cedar gets me when the pollen counts of it are high. Beginning in November I started using Flonase everyday as a preventative measure. Then when the cedar pollen count spiked just before Christmas is when my allergies really kicked in. For me it is key that I keep my sinuses clear, dry and un-congested. So, I take Primatene tablets which is just straight Ephedrine and Guaifenesin. And, I used the NeilMed sinus rinse squeeze bottle to flush my sinuses in the morning and at night.

I will also note that when my cedar allergies have been as bad as you have it, I have worn a dust mask over my nose and mouth, like GG mentioned, and it was a big help on calming my cough. Cedar pollen shaped like spiked mace pollen, which is why you have a burning and inflamed throat and sinuses.

I hope you feel better soon Ellen :-)
    Rare Ink-Free Girlfriend Companion!
    Sweet, Discreet & Elite
    Lover of courteous respectful gentlemen, including
    newbies, traveling, younger & you awesome local guys!
    I do not care to be reviewed, being vouched for is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Ava In Austin View Post
    NeilMed sinus rinse
    Yes. That's drug free and a literal miracle for some people. A little disgusting and difficult to get used to the first time or two, but it becomes second nature after a while. Get some distilled water to use it with. There's a VERY slight risk of a really nasty disease if you use tap water.

You can also make your own mix with pickling salt (table salt has additives) and baking soda if you're cheap like me. You can also boil some water and store it, but distilled water is 88 cents a gallon at Wallyworld.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Retired Companion
    Thanks everybody for the advice! I ended up getting a steriod shot. It worked and I can do things again...like breath!

When I first moved to Austin in 1992, I had allergies so bad that I consulted an allergist. He provided a prescription for a medicine similar to what is now Flonase. I still have allergies, but they are not as extreme as they once were.

My wife started buying these drops that you put under your tongue. I use it too, but for me they don’t totally eradicate the symptoms.

FB23200E-64BB-4CD3-B373-9BFF6D2A03CD.jpg

Update...I just noticed that the label says homeopathic. I translate that as voodoo medicine, and I am disappointed that my wife would buy that crap. But she is more medical savvy than I, having worked for doctors for more than 30 years.
    Last edited by Lovinglifeinaustin; 01-05-2020 at 11:01 AM.
    James
    Loving life in Austin

I suggested to my wife that once I retire, we should live somewhere else in January. I found a list of best and worst cities for allergens.

THE 5 BEST CITIES FOR ALLERGIES
    Every year the Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America ranks the most challenging cities to live in for spring allergy sufferers.

In 2018, these 5 cities scored the lowest, which means, out of 100 metropolitan areas in America, they’re the best cities to live in for those with allergies.2
    1. Denver, CO
    2. Provo, UT
    3. Boise, ID
    4. Portland, OR
    5. Colorado Springs, CO

THE 5 WORST CITIES FOR ALLERGIES
    In 2018, these 5 cities scored the highest for most challenging American cities to live in for those with allergies.2
    1. McAllen, TX
    2. Louisville, KY
    3. Jackson, MS
    4. Memphis, TN
    5. San Antonio, TX
    James
    Loving life in Austin

You can move close to me, wink.

Quote Originally Posted by Lovinglifeinaustin View Post
    Update...I just noticed that the label says homeopathic. I translate that as voodoo medicine, and I am disappointed that my wife would buy that crap. But she is more medical savvy than I, having worked for doctors for more than 30 years.
    God, I hate homeopathic stuff. Fuck Congress for letting people sell it as "real" medicine.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast