Thread: ***4th of July Weekend....What does it Mean to you?***

***4th of July Weekend....What does it Mean to you?***

Hi,

As I was refreshing my memory of our history, tears came to my eyes. It seems the people of our country have forgotten that we should stand united under one flag as Americans. I am not a historian nor am I good with discussing politics but I felt it would be a good time to post a little history concerning this Holiday.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indepen...United_States)

During the American Revolution, the legal separation of the Thirteen Colonies from Great Britain occurred on July 2, 1776

After voting for independence, Congress turned its attention to the Declaration of Independence, a statement explaining this decision, which had been prepared by a Committee of Five, with Thomas Jefferson as its principal author.

Congress debated and revised the Declaration, finally approving it on July 4.

The Declaration justified the independence of the United States by listing colonial grievances against King George III, and by asserting certain natural rights, including a right of revolution. Having served its original purpose in announcing independence, the text of the Declaration was initially ignored after the American Revolution. Its stature grew over the years, particularly the second sentence, a sweeping statement of human rights:

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness.

After voting in favor of the resolution of independence, Congress turned its attention to the committee's draft of the declaration. Over several days of debate, Congress made a few changes in wording and deleted nearly a fourth of the text, most notably a passage critical of the slave trade, changes that Jefferson resented.[69] On July 4, 1776, the wording of the Declaration of Independence was approved and sent to the printer for publication.

When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_...f_Independence

I will stop now with my post of the "wiki" because I would really love to hear your opinion. One question that I would like to put on table today is......do you feel as a society have we just crawled under our blankets and let greed take over in all areas of our lives and society?

Sincerely,
    Wet
    Last edited by wetvelvetsat; 07-02-2011 at 11:53 AM.

Retired Administrator
    means a lot to me.....
    grass is cut - cars are washed - dinner (home made crab cakes) was superb ---
    tomorrow afternoon cookout with family and friends..
    Holiday television shows (Katy Perry no less) tomorrow night with fireworks on the screen