Thread: Post '09 Crash Opinions of ASPD

What are your opinions, good or bad of ASPD, now that it is back on line?

We were told there might be some upgrades. What have you seen that seems improved?
    What are you happy about?
    What are you sad about?

My opinions, questions, are:

Positive:
    Having a gathering place for the great group that is ASPD is great.
    Thanks for hard work by the Staff and Mod's to get things back and running! THANKS!!!

Unfortunate News:
    Looks like a fair amount of damage was done to the database. It appears quite a few topics/threads are missing still. I can only hope this continues to improve.

My most wished for answer:
    What is being done to make sure this can't happen again?! In my opinion, a good backup strategy is the only way to ensure against loss of data. It still appears to me that backups were not being carried out. Nobody owes me an answer, but the lack of an answer to this from both ASPD crashes makes me wonder about my choices. I'm happy to pay more for BCD access, if that means some of the dollars will go toward making the board more functional, and putting a solid backup solution in place.

Negative:
    Not sure I see evidence of any upgrades yet.
    I sure hoped for threaded provider reviews...
    The Non-Images and Alt Version still appear to not work. Thought I heard those were being fixed in the new software. Was hoping for fixes for thin browsers from cell phones, etc...

Registered Male (Not Verified) TexTushHog's Avatar
    I'd like a much more complete explanation of what this means: "a good part of the recent data base is not accessible due to the hacking. We're working to get that back to working order."

If backups were made as was represented, why are they "not accessible due to the hacking"? What work is going on in that regard? When will we know something?

I'm glad the site is back up, but right now, it is substantially less useful than this site (or any number of new sites that have sprung up) if it doesn't have any old reviews.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    I am not sure why but I was unable to post on ASPD. It kept asking for my password.

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bigtex @ Apr 1 2009, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I am not sure why but I was unable to post on ASPD. It kept asking for my password.[/b]
    Any chance you&#39;ve forgotten what the password was on ASPD?

If you changed the password in the past year or so, do you remember the previous password?

Then check

http://www.aspd.net/showthread.php?p...790#post742790
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

I had no problem whatsoever logging on or posting a review
    It&#39;s all about the "right" turns!

"Oh, that way madness lies; let me shun that."
    William Shakespeare, "King Lear", Act 3 scene 4

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gneissguy @ Apr 1 2009, 12:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Any chance you&#39;ve forgotten what the password was on ASPD?

If you changed the password in the past year or so, do you remember the previous password?

Then check

http://www.aspd.net/showthread.php?p...790#post742790[/b]
    Same problem for me...I get the "Thank you for logging on" screen but am still not in.

Followed your advice and tried old password from about 2 years ago but still nothing.

Send email to Mods.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TexTushHog @ Mar 31 2009, 11:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I&#39;m glad the site is back up, but right now, it is substantially less useful than this site (or any number of new sites that have sprung up) if it doesn&#39;t have any old reviews.[/b]
    I have to agree with your statement, since it looks like there isn&#39;t much left of 2008 til the crash as far as posts and reviews, not much recon can be done from ASPD at this point. Now the IT wizards need to figure out how to transfer all the data here to ASPD and things would be a bit better.
    What about name changes and new members that were brought in here? will they be able to access ASPD? ;)
    "It's all in how you treat the lady as to the response you get!!"

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (maxx @ Apr 1 2009, 08:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    What about name changes and new members that were brought in here? will they be able to access ASPD? ;)[/b]
    If you&#39;re a member here and weren&#39;t a member of ASPD, just sign up on ASPD.

If you&#39;re a provider here and weren&#39;t at ASPD, contact the ASPD staff pointing that out and asking for provider status there.

If you had a name change since the ASPD crash, contact the ASPD staff.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Registered Male (Not Verified) TexTushHog's Avatar
    I also notice that ASPD is using the same version of the bulletin board software that was hacked (vBulletin Version 2.2.9) which was current in 2001.

I thought the upgrade was going to upgrade to the current version of vBulletin (3.8.2) to avoid future hacks? What happened to that?

Did they just abandon the upgrade in midstream and throw up what they could after two months? Is the new version still on the way? Have any changes really been made so that a hack is more difficult this time around? Lots of questions that are unanswered.

However, on the good side, many more old reviews are up now than were up last night. However, there are only two pages of reviews (in Dallas at least) from 2008 and 09. Lots of historical material that&#39;s interesting, but not much that&#39;s current. I hope more upgrades are on the way shortly, but I&#39;m going to wait and see.

Verified Hobbyist BCD geniusman's Avatar
    I have noticed that I now get an email notification when someone replies to a thread I have participated in

Retired Administrator
    Continuing to test 10s, 100s and yes === even 1000s of links all across the aspd environment. Currently we have what we have to work with and are accomplishing rule outs and even work arounds. Keep those requests coming to support@aspd.net and they will be worked one at a time. If we have to change things totally for you to gain entrance (which I think has already been done for one of you) -- we will and life simply goes on. At least its not as complicated as getting back into your yahoo or hotmail or gmail accounts should your sign-in or password gets messed up. Have a good evening everyone. :)

Registered Male (Not Verified)
    I&#39;m happy ASPD is back and i&#39;m sure there will be things that are lost forever. That&#39;s life....I still want to thank all involved for their efforts and we must remember most if not all these folks work for free! Many thanks again.....BYD

It looks to me like the mother site is up a little prematurely given the loss of copious recent data. Loss may not be the right word, inaccessibility perhaps. It&#39;s really understandable that the staff was trying bring the site back up as fast as for any number of business reasons so I&#39;m not criticizing. But at this point H2 is more functional and more useful than ASPD.

I look forward to the day when that&#39;s not so.

Verified Hobbyist BCD
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Yak_Man @ Apr 2 2009, 11:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    It looks to me like the mother site is up a little prematurely given the loss of copious recent data. Loss may not be the right word, inaccessibility perhaps. It&#39;s really understandable that the staff was trying bring the site back up as fast as for any number of business reasons so I&#39;m not criticizing. But at this point H2 is more functional and more useful than ASPD.

I look forward to the day when that&#39;s not so.[/b]
    My sentiments as well Yak_Man, But I&#39;m glad to see it back up and running. I now have to have another window open on the ole browser though so I can access it along with Home2! Just have to push a little more work aside. lol;)
    "It's all in how you treat the lady as to the response you get!!"

Considering the impact of the 2009 crash, I&#39;m glad the site is back in whatever form it is. The lesson I learned from this is: patience is golden. Not only were we required to be patient during the time aspd was down, it appears we will all have to be patient until aspd has been brought to the point all of us expected it to be when it came back.

It has been a long, arduous effort, and we should give all those working the the rebuild our thanks. :)