Thread: Who's On-Line, Part Deux...

So, I scrolled down to the bottom for yucks & giggles... only to see google.com listed as a user active in the last 10 minutes...

What's up with that????

[Edit: Rats! Probably should have posted this in "Ask the Staff" as I'd like to hear something from one "in the know" at some point. Saw the discussion of the more technical aspects of seeing who is on line & that's what prompted me to post this. Mods, please move if appropriate.]
    I could just *kiss* your promiscuous mind

I don't keep a lot of secrets
    The ones I do will die with me
    It's not because I'm hiding something
    A trusted friend I try to be

Verified Hobbyist BCD KosherCowboy's Avatar
    they are ( google.com) on most sites that run on invision or similar software packages ( most sites for that matter) , it just means one day you can google search something and matches may come up to the particular board google cruised ( indexed) .....in this case Home2

Most of the time if the board requires admin approval to activate an account the non-member user ( the one who searched google and found a link to Home2) will not get access to the thread(post)itself.

If it is a private registration board the above link google cashed would more likely than not come up ' access denied' if not registered....This may have changed in the few years since I had an invision board, I do believe there is a way to block google.com now from searching sites. Usually ' google.com' starts roaming once the link in question gets enough hits....

Bottom line, nothing is sacred on the net...Perhaps one of the board admins/techies can explain in more detail....

internet privacy is never 100%, that is what it boils down to.

google.com is not a member if you search the member list......

nothing to worry about at all

I think it may have something to do with this:

http://www.googleguide.com/cached_pages.html

' The Cached link will be omitted for sites whose owners have requested that Google remove the cached version or not cache their content, as well as any sites Google hasn’t indexed.'

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KosherCowboy @ Mar 15 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Bottom line, nothing is sacred on the net...Perhaps one of the board admins/techies can explain in more detail....

internet privacy is never 100%, that is what it boils down to.

google.com is not a member if you search the member list......

nothing to worry about at all[/b]
    I don&#39;t disagree. I&#39;ve been "preaching" that for a long time. However, just because it&#39;s impossible to prevent doesn&#39;t mean you have to make it easy to accomplish. I can&#39;t keep anyone out of my house with the knowledge & determination to enter. I STILL lock my doors!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KosherCowboy @ Mar 15 2009, 11:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I think it may have something to do with this:

http://www.googleguide.com/cached_pages.html

&#39; The Cached link will be omitted for sites whose owners have requested that Google remove the cached version or not cache their content, as well as any sites Google hasn’t indexed.&#39;[/b]
    Ding, ding, ding! THAT&#39;s what I&#39;m getting at. I&#39;d like to hear that&#39;s been done in this case. See above. :P
    I could just *kiss* your promiscuous mind

I don't keep a lot of secrets
    The ones I do will die with me
    It's not because I'm hiding something
    A trusted friend I try to be

[code]cd /public_html
    vi robots.txt
    User-agent: Googlebot
    Disallow: /

User-agent: Googlebot-Image
    :x[/code]or[code]cd /public_html
    vi robots.txt
    User-agent: *
    :x[/code]
    http://www.google.com/support/webmasters/b...mp;answer=40360

[-dent-]

Google&#39;s gonna find where you&#39;re going. It&#39;s the most ubiquitous non-classified presence on the web. Might be worth some $$$ to tomorrow&#39;s advertiser. Goog got where it is by being the first with the most.
    Trust yourself.