Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Time Warner-U-Verse

Verified Hobbyist BCD KosherCowboy's Avatar
    Anyone have experience with either of these adorable entertainment providers who kan kompare and kontrast, esp anyone who has made the switch either way?

Kosher is konsidering switching from one to the other, number of HD channels, NFL Network and ' outage frekuencies' are three of the faktors.

and internet speed

Thanks...

RETIRED
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KosherCowboy @ Mar 5 2009, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Anyone have experience with either of these adorable entertainment providers who kan kompare and kontrast, esp anyone who has made the switch either way?

Kosher is konsidering switching from one to the other, number of HD channels, NFL Network and &#39; outage frekuencies&#39; are three of the faktors.

and internet speed

Thanks...[/b]
    I have T.W. and about every 6 weeks my internet goes down. I know it&#39;s not "my" equiptment. It&#39;s usually out for a few hours.
    I&#39;m considering getting a wireless card just for those times. I&#39;m not real happy with them and a few more outages I may switch!

TV and HD channels are numerous. I&#39;m not a big TV watcher. As Springsteen says "57 channels and nothings on".
    Damn glad to be here!
    Visit My Website TopshelfTess.com
    PM or P411 for info.....Screening required!.....Sorry no newbies!

Verified Hobbyist
    I switched to U-verse almost a year ago. Here are my thoughts:

Cost: I used to have the basic+ cable package and HBO with Time Warner (HD services included) and no internet service through them. I now pay about 10 dollars less per month with U-verse and I subscribe to the highest tier of programming (ALL the movie channels), plus I have my DSL internet service included. They also included three HD receivers (one with a DVR) at no additional cost. Later on, I packaged my home phone service with them through their U-voice service.

Convenience: It is much more convenient having most of my services paid through one bill each month. (They still haven&#39;t integrated their cell service with the others.)

Features: I love the DVR features I get with U-verse. I can record a program on the DVR and watch it on any TV in the house. I can also program my DVR through the internet if I am away from home. Since I haven&#39;t had service with Time Warner for over a year, I don&#39;t know if they have expanded their HD line up or not, but I do get all the premium channels in HD. This includes ALL the channels for each service (HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, The Movie Channel, Stars, and Encore). One more thing, in case you are a pro football fan, I do get the NFL Network (in HD also).

Reliability: Here is where I do have a gripe with U-verse. I have a weird outtage that occurs a few times a day. All my services will go down for about 1 minute at a time about 3-5 times a day. This usually happens in the early to mid afternoon hours. I don&#39;t know if this is a problem with their system or something closer to my end of the service, but it is annoying. Of course, I had some reception problems with Time Warner also.

In the end, I do prefer U-verse over Time Warner. I feel that they provide more of the services that I want at a lower cost.

PocketRocket(s)

Verified Hobbyist BCD geniusman's Avatar
    I&#39;ve had time warner cable in the past and it was good reception and the only thing I know about u-verse comes one of these commercials all of which I am sick of

I have been a Time-Warner customer for several years now. There have been problems but they have been few and they were always able to be fixed. The Roadrunner Internet Service has been pretty good. I like the speed but once in a great while it gets fouled up and I have to turn the router and the cable modem off for a few minutes and then turn them back on and then all is well again. So far, I am satisfied and I will stay with them.
    "Don't come here and grumble about going too fast. Get the hell out of the race car if you've got feathers on your legs or butt. Put a kerosene rag around your ankles so the ants won't climb up there and eat that candy ass."

Dale Earnhardt

9/11 Memorial

Verified Hobbyist BCD hymenator's Avatar
    I switched to TW about a year ago after being bent over by ATT. I haven&#39;t had any issues with TW and am satisified with service. Plus T1 is much betteer than DSL.
    Guns only have two enemies: Rust and politicians.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (hymenator @ Mar 6 2009, 12:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I switched to TW about a year ago after being bent over by ATT. I haven&#39;t had any issues with TW and am satisified with service. Plus T1 is much betteer than DSL.[/b]

thanks, was looking for a negative for U-verse. How did AT+T bend you over? Service, money, etc? So far ( 8 years counting in Austin) TW has been quick and prompt on all service manners ( when dealing with a tech on phone/person) while AT+T some have no told me is horseshit once you get inside their tech support line. What Pocket Rocket said he was experiencing with AT+T, I get with Time Warner but just recently. The box is rebooting itself 2-4 times a day. Kosher experiences the same issues as Mokoa at times as well, rare but re-booting is sometimes needed to get it back up to par.

Maybe it is just like being with a girl for a long time and than suddenly a new girl shows up and one gets tempted just for change, my guess is both choices will have downfalls but come this fall I&#39;ll probably get rid of TW for the AT-T service just for NFL Network unless Time-Warner gets dumped enough between now and than and they decide to add the adorable NFL Network to their lineup...

I live in NW Austin and TW is my only real choice for high speed internet (I think I have 2meg up and close to 20meg down).
    I am a very heavy user of BitTorrent for my movie collection and other types of media, but I find there other services too expensive. I use a VoIP provider for my phones and it comes out to > $15 a month with unlimited use and there are many other companies out there I can switch to that would be much less. For TV I use DirecTV and BitTorrent for what I miss do to scheduling or weather.

Time Warner wants to be a utility but has none of the business ethics of one or the reliability required. I have had to wait as long as 2 days to get a cable repaired they broke and I have had to fight with them about properly burying a cable they replaced on more then a few occasions none of which have been handle to my satisfaction. If AT&T would offer high speed internet as a single offering I would switch back in a heart beat!

Joe

Verified Hobbyist BCD hymenator's Avatar
    I was getting home phone and internet with ATT and paying about 85 for those 2 services. DSL was ok but when you upgraded from dial up it was faster. Now with TW 3 way package I pay about two thirds of what I was paying for ATT and dishnetwork so thats an extra cash for hobbyin&#39;. LOL. I haven&#39;t had the issues about reseting my cable modem so I can&#39;t relate with you or Mokoa
    fwiw- I&#39;d stay with TW
    Guns only have two enemies: Rust and politicians.

Verified Hobbyist BCD GneissGuy's Avatar
    Do not use automatic debit with any utility. They&#39;ll eventually bill you with some phony charges and steal money from you. It can be bogus "disconnect" charges, lost equipment charges for stuff you&#39;ve turned in, bills after you cut off the service, "honest" mistakes, unauthorized charges, etc.

It&#39;s a heck of a lot easier to deal with them when they are telling you that you owe them money than it is when they have stolen cash from your bank account and you&#39;re trying to get a refund. Even when you get them to admit that they owe you money, you may have a hell of a time getting a refund.

One trick with Time Warner. They&#39;re pretty liberal about you bringing in a piece of equipment and exchanging it for a different box. I know someone who had several cases where their internet went out, call service, spend half an hour doing stuff you&#39;ve already done, wait 3 days for the technician, stay home all afternoon, guy shows up late, switches the modem, and you&#39;re fixed. Save yourself the trouble and do it yourself. Then you can call them if it doesn&#39;t work.

I&#39;ve heard that you can just show up at their office with your box and ask for an exchange. They may not argue about whether it&#39;s broken or not. Face it, it&#39;s cheaper for them to exchange the box than to send out a guy in a truck.
    Be Gneiss Gnow...

Kosher my friend,

I have been using DirecTV for the last 2.5 years, after being with Time Warner for like 16 years before. My experience with Time Warner was they were responsive when you had a problem, but there were too many times when they had problems. I have only had one problem (knock on wood) with DirecTV in 2.5 years, and it was resolved pretty quickly and painlessly. It seemed when I did have a problem with Time Warner it would take 2-3 visits to get it completely fixed. And, I get NFL network, and even better NFL Sunday Ticket. It is really fucking cool to be able to watch any and every NFL game on a Sunday. I made it a point to watch at least a few minutes of every game last season. Yes, I am a sick, sick man. I also get like 2 million college football games a week. Now, if you do have a serious thunderstorm, then all of your TV will be out, which sucks. But, all things considered, I am happy with my switch from Time Warner to DirecTv.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gneissguy @ Mar 6 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Do not use automatic debit with any utility. They&#39;ll eventually bill you with some phony charges and steal money from you. It can be bogus "disconnect" charges, lost equipment charges for stuff you&#39;ve turned in, bills after you cut off the service, "honest" mistakes, unauthorized charges, etc.

It&#39;s a heck of a lot easier to deal with them when they are telling you that you owe them money than it is when they have stolen cash from your bank account and you&#39;re trying to get a refund. Even when you get them to admit that they owe you money, you may have a hell of a time getting a refund.

One trick with Time Warner. They&#39;re pretty liberal about you bringing in a piece of equipment and exchanging it for a different box. I know someone who had several cases where their internet went out, call service, spend half an hour doing stuff you&#39;ve already done, wait 3 days for the technician, stay home all afternoon, guy shows up late, switches the modem, and you&#39;re fixed. Save yourself the trouble and do it yourself. Then you can call them if it doesn&#39;t work.

I&#39;ve heard that you can just show up at their office with your box and ask for an exchange. They may not argue about whether it&#39;s broken or not. Face it, it&#39;s cheaper for them to exchange the box than to send out a guy in a truck.[/b]

TGFBI,

I would give my left or right nut ( bear-ly use them anymore anyway) to be able to have DISH TV but kondo rules forbid it ( BS)

There might even be an upcoming FCC rule on such &#39; bans&#39; ( kase still in the kourts)

Time Warner wired the building so they have a 10 year ( cock block Grande etc.) period on the building but AT T uses other lines per the guy who was doing an install yesterday....Perhaps one day I will have a DISH on my balcony and will draw a giant picture of some adorable breasts on the DISH in your honour

Verified Companion Companion AustinLiv's Avatar
    I&#39;ve got fiber optic internets, I like it a lot. I say go with AT&T.
    Visit My Website For Detailed Information

My preferred method of contact is via my Preferred411. If you are not a P411 member, send me an email at livofaustin@gmail.com with at least 2 local provider references.

RETIRED
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gneissguy @ Mar 6 2009, 09:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    I&#39;ve heard that you can just show up at their office with your box and ask for an exchange. They may not argue about whether it&#39;s broken or not. Face it, it&#39;s cheaper for them to exchange the box than to send out a guy in a truck.[/b]
    I&#39;ll verify that. Been there, done that. Take your cables, power source, and box and they will exchange them at the counter for you.
    T.W. has a south Austin office on Stassney.
    Tess
    Damn glad to be here!
    Visit My Website TopshelfTess.com
    PM or P411 for info.....Screening required!.....Sorry no newbies!

Verified Companion Companion GenesisNicole's Avatar
    i have T.W--overall I&#39;m pretty happy with them--no major problems to report!!!-just wish i could figure out how to get those "naughty channels for free!!!
    *curtsy*
    P411~ https://preferred411.com/P20791
    Screening is required. No exceptions.
    $300/hr.; $400/90 mins.; $500/2 hrs; $600/3hrs; $800/4hrs; $1000/5 hrs; $2000/12hrs; $3000/24hrs

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast