Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: aspd update

I hunt you down All Nightmare Long Ghostface147's Avatar
    So today is Monday....where's our update?

Verified Hobbyist BCD geniusman's Avatar
    nothing yet but if they're just reloading aspd it probably takes a while since its a big site

I hunt you down All Nightmare Long Ghostface147's Avatar
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (geniusman @ Mar 9 2009, 06:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    nothing yet but if they&#39;re just reloading aspd it probably takes a while since its a big site[/b]

It&#39;s not as if they are uploading petabytes of information. I am patient that this site will return, but it is bad customer service to keep the ones who help make the P what is in the dark for a month. Soon doesn&#39;t cut it. I&#39;ll still be here in the end, for this site is too fun not to be around.

I am not at all surprised it has taken this long to recover. I owned my own internet company and managed the web, data and mail servers myself. I experienced a number of crashes and downtime issues, and in none of those cases were I the direct target of some nefarious low-lifes. It is not easy, and anyone who tells you it is has shit coming out of their mouth.

Let&#39;s analyze this a bit. The server was running fairly old software that was heavily modified for the specific purpose. This carries risk, but companies do it all the time with reasonable precautions so I am not going to criticize. it was probably also running an older version of the core OS. If you start the basic process of upgrading the OS you start running into the need to bump the hardware to provide the additional horsepower required. Then you start loading a new version of your primary application and deal with all the additional overhead it requires for new features, etc. Once that is done you start modifications of the new software where required to gain the minimum feature set you require. Then you test, a lot. Then you test some more. Once you are happy with all of that, you start loading data and begin looking for problems there. I don&#39;t know how many upgrades of application software you&#39;ve done beyond desktop software but the data usually has to be upgraded as well. Then you have to test f for integrity, much less concerns over embedded trojan&#39;s, as in horse not condom. Heaven forbid someone is expecting the user interface to be in someway similar to the old one folks are used to. And you gotta get this all done overnight, with a gun to your head and an asshole still trying to log in and take down your server.

Yeah, no problem at all. Should have been up weeks ago. Assuming there is someone working on it around the clock, which I doubt. I always get a laugh out of idiots who try and explain to me all the profit being made in any internet business. They think the money is just flowing in. They seem to think the internet costs are the same as their cable bill, the server costs are the same as their home computer and that anyone can be a system administrator of a site that is under attack.

-----------

As I said, I&#39;ve been there, done that. Thank you CK for keeping us up to date as best you can, and please pass along my understanding and good wishes to those in the trenches.

Rover14

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ck1942 @ Mar 8 2009, 10:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    AC -

I cannot argue with your logic.

We all have to be patient. Those of us who are will be rewarded.

Meanwhile, the real purpose of the hobby is having "fun."

I did my part in the past 7 days, three times; hope you have done yours![/b]
    CK, I believe you&#39;re now qualified to be White House press secretary! The hours are awful, the pay&#39;s lousy, the job sucks... but if you want it, it is yours! :P

It&#39;s not worth "raving out" over but as we&#39;ve crossed the one month threshold... I would echo some of the sentiment that&#39;s been expressed. The "remain calm all is well" pronouncements work for a while, but eventually they boomerang & become terrible PR. Credibility gets undermined... eventually fatally...

I know it, you know it, hope the rest of the "powers that be" know it by now.

NONE of the above was meant - in ANY way - to diminish the appreciation I have for everyone involved. I&#39;m rooting for their success. I know being the "public" face of private workings is a thankless job but one that has to be done. If it has to be done, why not do it as well as possible?

There, I&#39;ve said it. I&#39;m done with it.

Back to matters at hand...
    I could just *kiss* your promiscuous mind

I don't keep a lot of secrets
    The ones I do will die with me
    It's not because I'm hiding something
    A trusted friend I try to be

Verified Companion Companion DallasRain's Avatar
    yes thanks ck---you are awesome!!!
    Texas in late April/early May!!

480-204-5151
    harleydee69@gmail.com

NEW VIDEOS..selling short video clips....I accept paypal or cash app,venmo or CASH

Verified Hobbyist BCD geniusman's Avatar
    aspd is back to the original message before the whole site was taken offline

Sorry for my rant last night. I typed that on the leading edge of food poisoning and it had a lot of venom in it that wasn&#39;t appropriate. I&#39;m am sorry for calling anyone names. Since you are good enough to be on this board you obviously aren&#39;t bad enough to be treated the way I did. After hugging the porcelain for a while I feel much better.

I truly feel for CK1942 in his position as an information middle man in this process. He is the kind of guy I would blow up at calling me every 15 minutes during an outage of some sort wanting updates, and not short ones, but the entire background, etc. It was always a legitimate request from an administrator type person at a company but it got to be a hassle. I always responded with the phrase "do you want to talk about it, or do you want me to fix it?" At least in our case there is only CK bothering the programmers, and in all honesty, I sincerely doubt CK is calling every 15 minutes, but he is the guy trying to keep us informed as best he can. If all of us were pestering the folks doing the work it would never get done. It isn&#39;t easy to do what CK is having to do, and I think he has held up very well. the rest of us need to be patient and understanding. I also agree with CK&#39;s solution of getting out and hobbying. Stimulate the economy, or at least a lonely provider. Sure you make not have the info we used to have to make a new choice out of the field, but you can go back and play with an ATF or ask in the locker room for some suggestions.

Bury the hatchet, I mean the dick. I have, and apparently so have a few others.

Rover14

Provider (at aspd)
    My prayers go out to you Amber & Jade for a healing of recovery and happiness.

The Egyptians did not have patience when upon leaving their four-hundred year original land in Egypt; they followed Moses into the desert. They complained about lack of enough water, about the food, and about their lack of meat. They received water, with manna from Heaven and with quail. Yet with all these provisions they continued to lack patience. Why? They did not starve, did not succumb to thirst, and it was even said that after forty years of wandering the very shoes on their feet did not wear out.

When ASPD was running we complained how slow the site was, we were invited here yet we started to complaint again when ASPD will back. Plenty of providers are here... just cruise provider’s ad section or Saturday and Sunday connections forum.

May we all strive to be increasingly patient, content in all things we have, and fruitful being anxious for nothing in handling ASPD update or when it will be back again. I am sure we will hear about any update in due time.

* People are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.
    ** Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle. Abraham Lincoln

*** Verboden van het hebben van veelvoudige partners.
    **** Niet meer beschikbaar

Well, it looks to me as if we have a fairly serviceable temporary site here. There is a place for ads, and a place for reviews. Really , what else is needed. Some above seem to think if ASPD is not fixed quickly, then it will be gone forever. I am one of the first 2,500 people registered on the ASPD site. And you would not believe the challenges and trials that Amber went thru in the past. When ASPD starts back soon, then even if the people online here moved back, it is a start. And it would grow. I saw it go from 2500 in Jan 2001 to around 100,000 or more in 8 years. Even with the previous crash. So, as CK and others said, just go out and play. All will be OK soon. Give em time. In fact, I think today is a good day to go play. Review to follow in west Texas forum.

Pistolero

Good Morning CK
    I am glad to see that Denver Home section. However, In my opinion, I beleive that you should have a Colorado section to encompass the entire state of Colorado. My reason is that there are lots of HOT providers in the Colorado Springs area and a few in Boulder & Ft. Collins areas.

Just my experience.

Take Care
    Doc

Hobby Addict
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Doc_rob @ Mar 27 2009, 10:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
    Good Morning CK
    I am glad to see that Denver Home section. However, In my opinion, I beleive that you should have a Colorado section to encompass the entire state of Colorado. My reason is that there are lots of HOT providers in the Colorado Springs area and a few in Boulder & Ft. Collins areas.

Just my experience.

Take Care
    Doc[/b]
    just my 2 cents....but I&#39;ve found that participants on both sides of the equation natually gravitate to the closest area to them even if it is hundreds of miles away....for example it is not unusual to see on Atlanta boards posts/ads from Savannah or parts of S. Carolina....

Retired Administrator
    thank you for noting that "atlcomedy" and indeed - we are trying to manipulate Invision into mirroring aspd somewhat and are in the process of creating different forums a step at a time. We have found utilizing general areas right now are working best, and yes ===> word is spreading. Anxiously awaitng aspd to come back online and see what revisions have been made. Once we review that re-creation -- then we can try to conform it to blend in with some of the neater things we&#39;ve built and tested here. Have a good weekend folks..

Verified Hobbyist BCD Precious_b's Avatar
    Kudos to the work being done.
    Updating the old site may have been on a back burner until the Hacking but i&#39;m sure things are getting squared.

I can&#39;t wait for when the relaunch occurs.

And most of all, I want to see that, *ahem*, other site eat its f*#king words with their speculation and misdirection.
    Rumour Centeral seems to be deriguerre (sp) there.

And thanks to all the Girls that are sticking it out here. Private Stock My Ass!
    Will always PM from this or the other site as initial contact.

My Huckleberry

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast