Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The Cooking Thread - all about food

Verified Hobbyist BCD Jugglover's Avatar

The Cooking Thread - all about food

Alright, I didn’t see a thread and it’s one of my favorite topics. So share your recipes, secrets, ideas, tricks in the kitchen or on the grill/smoker/griddle. Hell, even your favorite new restaurant you found if your not so good at cooking.

I’ll start it out by sharing my fajita recipe,.. well I call it fajita but it’s not in the true sense, it’s something I whipped up once and family and friends always request it when there is cookin to be done.
    Your gonna need, fajita meat, corn or flour tortillas, vegetable oil, potatoes o brien (in the frozen section of your grocery store) , Allegro original marinade, 1 gallon freezer bag. Optional, is any fixings you want like cheese, sour cream, etc...

Take the fajita meat (1 pound feeds 2-3 people), let it get to room temperature. Dump it in a gallon freezer bag, and half a bottle of Allegro original marinade (I will link this at the bottom of the page,.. it’s the secret to this and will make people think your a God in the kitchen, hehe). Put the bag in the fridge and let it sit over night or 24 hours. You might turn it over once half way through if you remember so all sides get soaked good.
    Now I do most of my cooking on a griddle or cast iron,.. so this will be explained on a large griddle.
    Shoot you some vegetable oil all over, and lay down your tortillas. On the other side, dump out the bag of Potatoes O Brien and cover them with more vegetable oil so they are all soaked, then I often cover them with a warming dome to keep that heat in and better cook it, cause I usually go straight from the freezer to the griddle with those. In the middle I dump out the fajita meat that’s been sitting in the bag overnight, but only after I drained off the excess marinade (snip a corner off the bag and holdit in the sink for a bit to fully drain). Then do your best impression of a hibachi chef, flipping the potatoes over and making sure to pull the tortillas off before they burn.
    Once the potatoes are a nice golden brown, the meat is just to the char stage, pull it off and put in separate dishes. It really doesn’t need much extra stuff, maybe a little grated cheese but don’t overdo it with sour cream or salsa until you try at least a couple bites to taste that meat,... cause it’s gooooood.
    This can be done on cast iron as well, but it’s so much easier on a griddle

http://allegromarinade.com/products/...inal-marinade/

Verified Companion Companion DallasRain's Avatar
    Yumm yumm yumm

I like to make
    Microwave fudge..
    1 can eagle brand condensed milk
    Touch of butter and touch of vanilla
    1 16oz bag chocolate chips
    Nuts

Melt butter/vanilla/chocolate chips in microwave..mix in nuts and mix well

Pour into a lightly buttered baking dish...cover w wax paper. Freeze hour or two...then cut in squares and eat

Verified Companion Companion Suzanna Turner's Avatar
    I can bake bacon....
    Low volume, no revolving door guarantee!

*OKC, Lawton, & Norman!*

www.SuzannaTurner.com
    SuzyT4u@ProtonMail.com
    Twitter: @SuzannaTurnerOK

mmmmmmm bacon
    Attachment 152881

If you don’t like bacon, we can’t be friends. I don’t need that kind of negativity in my life.

Verified Companion Companion Blaze's Avatar
    Agreed Jugglover. I tried baking it once, total fail and it was rubbery. WTF? I will just fry it in a cast iron and call it Fuck ya!

The only time I really stick to a recipe is when baking pastry like foods. Still it's no guarantee. I'm no chef, but only once in a blue moon have I said, " crew, load up we're eating out tonight ".

So I have a new low carb yum yum. Red cabbage chopped up good, sprinkled with salt n peppa, lots of garlic powder, Thyme and Rosemary. Make sure it ground thyme. Slathered with melted butter and baked. I cover with tin foil to keep moisture in.

The other day cuz I'm an idiot I forgot to steam the cauliflower I was serving with spaghetti. So in a pinch I used the pasta water to boil the cauliflower, then strained and slathered in butter, salt n peppa. I think I actually liked it better that way, boiled. It cooked quicker too.

Tonight I made chicken quesadillas. I serve salad before to make sure everyone gets their greens lol. But, didn't have tomatoes, so I opened a can of petites with green chilis, drained in strainer and served over greens with a seasame oil with a dash of salt. It worked... That's how I cook! I do try to stick with whole foods. But sometimes consessions must be made.

Tomorrow night it will be hamburger stew. We just had it, but it was requested. I use 80/20 and don't drain fat. I dump in lots of water and a big bag of frozen mix veggies, big can of diced tomatoes and big can tomatoe sauce, one big chopped onion, and about have of a bunch of whole garlic chopped and smooshed. I don't measure spices/seasonings. I use garlic piwder, salt n peppa, Italian season, powdered beef bullion and Worcester sauce. I have a huge stockpot. Sometimes I freeze extra or save for a day latter in the week. And if I'm feeling peppy or its super cold outside I make Paula Deens cornbread. I butter my milk with vinegar.
    Its A Blaze! ~~ Natural Redhead ~~
    P411
    Please no reviews at this time, thank you.
    Massage & Reg Session

I’m with you blaze, I rarely measure seasonings. It’s more of a gut feeling,... and sometimes even a little accidental overage turns out to be even better. Even main ingredients in a recipe, sometimes I can hear my mother’s voice “That ain’t enough, better double that” haha.

Giggles, ya I disappoint myself when I've underseasoned. It's amazing the deeper flavor that comes out with any type of bean, using liq smoke! Less is more with a lighter bean. And some warm chow chow! I've decided ham hocks, ham bones, are better than pork salt. I prefer to cook my beans unsoaked with the lid off, all seasons put in at the beginning. That way as water boils down, the beans can take up full flavor of the water. I've found less cooking time to if I buy in bulk from sprouts/while foods vs package. The beans are fresher.

A lot of times in the morning I cook eggs in the microwave. It's simple and easy. I always salt on the plate, but this a.m. I threw on some salsa verde, yum! The brand that been around forever like regular salsa..

One of my fav things is chicken thighs with tons of garlic powder and lemon pepper. The drippings are good enuff to drink, yup guilty!

Oddly enuff, I can't make gravy or fry chicken to save my life! I hate frying with a lot of oil. Can't stand the smell or mess
    P411
    Massage & Reg Session

GRRRR! It didnt quote Dallas's post.

I may have to try this. I like microwave cooking on the fly if it's simple and easy! Helps in a pinch.

I aways cook my sweet and regular potatoes whole, after stabbing them with a fork. 3 mins at a time, flip and repeat as necessary til cooked. Each microwave varies. I used to carry lemon pepper, butter salt n peppy when I toured for this.
    P411
    Massage & Reg Session

Lol Blaze...the fudge is yummy

Especially if you mix in walnuts,pecans and mini marshmalliws

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post

A lot of times in the morning I cook eggs in the microwave. It's simple and easy. I always salt on the plate, but this a.m. I threw on some salsa verde, yum! The brand that been around forever like regular salsa..

Oddly enuff, I can't make gravy or fry chicken to save my life! I hate frying with a lot of oil. Can't stand the smell or mess
    The Pampered Chef makes a real nice microwave egg dish. It’s kinda like 2 bowls conntected together, you melt a pad of butter in one or both, crack your eggs and in 1:11 later you got some quick easy and good tasting eggs. I used to use the hell out of my old one (dropped it and broke it, had to get another one) because I use to crave an egg sandwich every night at 10:00 for some strange reason.

For frying, I like to use a deep cast iron skillet, and cover it with a perforated stainless cover (mine folds in half for easy storage and for only opening half of it at a time.). This makes splash minimal and clean up easy since the cast iron just needs a rinse, heated up to dry, then Larbee spread around to season it back and keep it all nonsticky. Once the oil is cool I pour the oil in a cool little oil strainer/holder I found on amazon that I love. So the oil is fresh pretty much every use because it’s strained everytime I pour it back in. The container sits next to the mixer so it doesn’t take up much space. You get double the life of your oil cause it doesn’t get as yucky brown from all the crumbs since it’s being strained so often.
    If your interested I can find links to those on amazon,.. it makes frying a lot easier and less messy

Years ago I went to Bass Pro and bought my BF a yuge deep cast iron. Think I topped her hubby that year lol. It was expensive... Now I wish I had one.

Just recently I tried seasoning mine and it didn't help much. Think I need to strip it and start from scratch. It's a process for sure. Send me link on that strainer. I need to get one.

I cook many eggs at once so I beat and then pour into a pyrex. Always spray with butter spray first.
    P411
    Massage & Reg Session

I have 2 cast iron skillets..one small,one large...a cast iron dutch oven..and a cast iron griddle
    No other pans shall touch my burners lol

You can get them cheap at tjmax and marshalls
    Texas in late April/early May!!

480-204-5151
    harleydee69@gmail.com

NEW VIDEOS..selling short video clips....I accept paypal or cash app,venmo or CASH

Quote Originally Posted by Blaze View Post
    Years ago I went to Bass Pro and bought my BF a yuge deep cast iron. Think I topped her hubby that year lol. It was expensive... Now I wish I had one.

Just recently I tried seasoning mine and it didn't help much. Think I need to strip it and start from scratch. It's a process for sure. Send me link on that strainer. I need to get one.

I cook many eggs at once so I beat and then pour into a pyrex. Always spray with butter spray first.
    I don’t know how to share a link from my amazon app, but if you type in “oil storage grease keeper” it brings them up, I got the 3rd from the top and like it.
    Also when your there, add a Larbee puck for your cast iron. Follow the instructions how to season with it, then use it after each time you cook. It will always stay nice and nonstickable.

Quote Originally Posted by DallasRain View Post
    I have 2 cast iron skillets..one small,one large...a cast iron dutch oven..and a cast iron griddle
    No other pans shall touch my burners lol

You can get them cheap at tjmax and marshalls
    I’ve found with cast iron, you get what you pay for. I buy only Lodge anymore, it is more expensive but so much better made and keeps the seasoning in better. I have a couple cheapo ones I got off an amazon lightening deal, I use those for things like tomato sauce your not supposed to cook in cast iron.

For all the Foodies out there,, Cooks Country is doing a 6hr marathon on PBS! I love this show.
    P411
    Massage & Reg Session

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast